Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_lt
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed today,my wife's trailblazer's ceiling around the moon roof or sun roof was comng down. I looked inside the edges and saw it was attached by small strips of velcro. I redid the velcro. Is this what GM uses to hold the interior in place? plowking

·
Registered
2003 trailblazer_lt
9,856 Posts
I noticed today,my wife's trailblazer's ceiling around the moon roof or sun roof was comng down. I looked inside the edges and saw it was attached by small strips of velcro. I redid the velcro. Is this what GM uses to hold the interior in place? plowking
I dont have the sunroof....the headliner in mine is held by velcro in the middle sections between the second overhead and the d pillars

·
Banned
2004 gmc envoy_sle
3,097 Posts
Mine has the sunroof and it's comming down too. I just haven't tried to fix it yet. Figured it had some sort of velcro since I could push up on it and it would stay for a little bit then slowly fall back down.

·
Banned
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
888 Posts
Is this what GM uses to hold the interior in place? plowking
Only in the middle and areas where there isnt anywhere to put support. Its not really velcro, at least in mine. Its plastic squares that have a ton of little tabs (looks like the rough side of velcro), and when they are pushed together the tabs push on each other to create a friction hold.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
4,009 Posts
Only in the middle and areas where there isnt anywhere to put support. Its not really velcro, at least in mine. Its plastic squares that have a ton of little tabs (looks like the rough side of velcro), and when they are pushed together the tabs push on each other to create a friction hold.
Correct. It is called Dual-Lock tape (at least from 3M it is).

It's the same stuff that is on the back of an EZ-Pass unit, and the same stuff they are supposed to use to fix the wavy bumper conver on the TB's in the TSB.

Good stuff.

Chris

·
Registered
91 Posts
I know I'm way late on this but I just repaired mine over the weekend.

Well, I fixed it for the time being, I used velcro to reattach the parts near the dome light in the middle of the ceiling and around the driver side of the sunroof.

The sunroof area has held up great the first 24 hours, the dome light area however, only the right side is still holding, but not so much the left. Last summer when I first got the truck, I tried to epoxy it back (fixes everything that shouldn't move, right?) and just made a mess. I think the velcro is trying to stick to what's left on that area.

You can't tell anymore and looks great. My advice, buy some of that velcro, use what needs to be replaced and add what's missing. Sorry if I'm missing out on some helpful vocab, but I know very little about cars in general, but since I bought this TB, I've fallen in love :woohoo:

·
Registered
705 Posts
When we bought our TB in March, we test drove and looked at dozens, maybe a hundred trucks before we found ours, and every single one with a sunroof the headliner was drooped, thats partially why we didn't get one with the sunroof. Also, I think GM dropped the headliner a rather rediculous amount to clear the sunroof and ate up way too much headroom. I love sunroofs, just didn't like the fit

·
Registered
91 Posts
Well I spoke too soon. I got home today and I looked up to admire my DIY repair job and noticed that all three spots that were problematic were again unstuck from the roof :hopeless

Anyone have any other ideas? I might try to rub some alcohol pads on the areas, maybe they got dirty with dust, leftover epoxy glue, etc.

I may make a trip to Lowes and see if they have something a little extra-industrial strength stickiness :undecided

·
Registered
91 Posts
Well, I took another attempt at repairing my roof.

This time I took some rubbing alcohol and cleaned off the spots that the velcro would stick to on the metal side.

I took some Gorilla Glue and put a dot of some on the sticky side of a 3x3 piece of velcro, in the middle of all the velcro pieces that would stick on the metal.

Afterwards, I took some PVC pipe, measured out enough to reach the floor of the backseat up to each side of the dome light. I put a rag between the ceiling and the PVC pipe to keep from damaging the ceiling.

For the sunroof / moonroof section of the ceiling, I took a small piece of board about 10'' long and about two inches thick, placed it on the ceiling where the two stints are in between the ceiling and the metal part of the roof. I lodged that board up there with my dad's chin-up bar (it twists to lengthen and shorten, I figure this would work best :crazy: )

I also took some clamps to help support the areas around the sunroof while the velcro and Gorilla Glue dry up. I'm having to leave the roof open for the night. If the Gods are with me tonight, it won't rain. :thumbsup:
Pics below on the final look of it all.

p.s. Any idea on how to clean the carpet and ceiling material now that it's gotten dirty?

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts