Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Trailblazer with a simple factory radio. No Bose, no OnStar, no XM. Just a single CD player built in. I have the Band/CD Aux button. About a year ago the player ate my CD, so I took out the radio, disassembled it to retrieve my CD, put it back together, and tried it again. Same thing. So I left it. Since then I have been wondering if there is a way for me to add an auxiliary 3.5 mm audio jack in place of the CD player. I have seen several posts about this, but most of them are about Bose, XM, or CD changers and not the simple radio that I have. Does any one have any suggestions? Is there an adapter that I can plug right in where the CD player used to be? Thanks! Matt

:thx

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
14 Posts

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle_xl
7 Posts
...good post

mstreeter: enjoyed your post...if only because my '03 Envoy (basic radio/single CD/cassette) has a CD stuck in in now as well. That you dissassembled your radio is awesome!

Our Envoy does not have any steering wheel controls so I don't think the proposed solutions in this thread would work for us. I presume you're talking about hard-wiring something to the innards of your unit?

I am interested in what you find out...we do have the cassette thingie that has a 3.5 mm plug but the whole thing is kind of kludgie...

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Additional Information

I forgot to mention that my 2005 TB does not have steering wheel controls either. I've seen the FM modulator solutions that tap into the antenna line, but I've heard that in populated areas there can be a lot of interference. I was looking at a unit that plugs into the CD changer interface on the back of the radio, but I'm not sure if my radio has that option without tearing it all out again. That will probably be a project for when school gets out. What I'm looking for is a way to install an audio jack on the line inside the radio where the CD player used to be. Any info would be great.

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_slt
345 Posts
I forgot to mention that my 2005 TB does not have steering wheel controls either. I've seen the FM modulator solutions that tap into the antenna line, but I've heard that in populated areas there can be a lot of interference. I was looking at a unit that plugs into the CD changer interface on the back of the radio, but I'm not sure if my radio has that option without tearing it all out again. That will probably be a project for when school gets out. What I'm looking for is a way to install an audio jack on the line inside the radio where the CD player used to be. Any info would be great.
There are many different ways to go with this. I can't speak to all of them as I've only used the iSimple say. I have a inline FM modulator for mine. It's a powered unit so I have no problems with interference.

The ones that plug into your CD changer plug (if so equipped) are nice too, due to the fact that if you get the one for a iPod/iPhone you can use the CD player controls to operate your iPod.

Either should work for you depending on how your radio is equipped.

Whatever you do tho, DO NOT buy a non powered in line FM Modulator, or a cheap one, Buy named brand or you will kick yourself in the ass when you have to install an new one due to the poor quality of sound from the cheap unit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts