Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys i finally got the rest of the parts for my CB install and hooked it up today . I went with a Uniden Pro 520XL CB , a Firestik hood channel mount , a 9 ft Firestik coax cable w/fire-ring connection , and a 2 ft Firestik-2 antenna . I also bought a 4 ft antenna but may return it depending on the TX/RX range I get with the 2 footer .

I bought a little SWR meter to tune the antenna tip but its defective so its not getting maximum distance yet . While tooling around town I was talking to guys 4-5 miles across town . Not bad so far with this smaller antenna . I still fit in the garage by 1.5" :D so this will be my daily antenna for buggin the big-rig drivers . I buggered up the paint cause I didn't do one last test fit/adjustment before I painted it black . It's a tight fit between the hood and the mount , actually slight contact . I was surprised the CB radio power wires (4.5') reached the battery for a clean power source . 9 ft of coax was a perfect length , I routed it thru the grommet in the firewall where the factory wires go thru by the drivers left foot .
Heres a link to the Firestik website where they have a good step by step of this same install on a F350 .... Although I didn't use the 18' cable/mount kit . http://www.firestik.com/Instl-Text/ford174.htm

The CB was $58 delivered new off Ebay .
The Firestik Hood Channel Mount # SS-174 was $14 delivered new off Ebay .
The Antenna/9' coax was $38 delivered from walcottcb.com
Total ....$ 110

Heres some pics of the setup .....

** Oh yeah this CB is so small it will actually fit in the center console storage thing by the drivers right arm , between the front seats . Even with those little CD holder slots it fits right in , I may relocate the cb later to there so its hidden . I also plan on spending another $10-15 for a PA speaker to mount in the engine bay to screw with people . The cb has an inlet for the PA wire jack and a switch on the front for PA mode .

·
Registered
917 Posts
Jimmy,

howcome you installed the antenna on the side of the hood? isn't the reception much better on the roof of the car... I don't have a CB yet, but I have bought the antennas already... I needed to buy something removeable and low, since I park in a garage...

so I got Wilson 5000 magnetic stand...

and a Wilson Short Load antenna

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Idealy an antenna mounted in the center of the roof will get better reception . But I plan on keeping the antenna on 24-7 and I only have about 6-7" of clearance above my TB to fit in the garage . I didn't want to mess with a magnetic mount and have to move it everytime I pull in the garage .

With the hood mount the 2' Firestik antenna is 3-4" above the roofline and still fits in the garage . I bought a 4' antenna but haven't tried it yet , it should reach out much farther than the 2' . I figured I could use the big one on long road trips .

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey james how do you use the SW meter to tune an antenna? how hard is it to tune?

i installed a cb radio last week but the reception sucks. i got the glass mount antenna.
Well my SWR meter was defective so I couldn't tune the antenna yet . Its really easy though with a working swr meter connected between your radio and the antenna . Your antenna should have a way to lengthen or shorten the tip a little . I looked at those glass mount antennas but the more I read I was discouraged from getting one . The reception just won't be as good on a glass mount .

·
Registered
917 Posts
Idealy an antenna mounted in the center of the roof will get better reception . But I plan on keeping the antenna on 24-7 and I only have about 6-7" of clearance above my TB to fit in the garage . I didn't want to mess with a magnetic mount and have to move it everytime I pull in the garage .

With the hood mount the 2' Firestik antenna is 3-4" above the roofline and still fits in the garage . I bought a 4' antenna but haven't tried it yet , it should reach out much farther than the 2' . I figured I could use the big one on long road trips .
there's those roof mountable antennas with the hinge on the bottom, so that it can be folded down... only if that was electric... (and hooked up to the garage door remote...) :)

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I still need a swr meter to tune the antenna but was reaching out 11 miles today to a trucker that said I was coming thru loud and clear . Not bad with this 2' Firestik antenna . I was hoping to get out 8-10 miles with this setup so I'm happy :yes: .

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
142 Posts
I may relocate the cb later to there so its hidden . I also plan on spending another $10-15 for a PA speaker to mount in the engine bay to screw with people . The cb has an inlet for the PA wire jack and a switch on the front for PA mode.
You should! It's alot of fun.:yes: I have a 100 watt PA setup and its very loud. I also have different siren noises but I rarely use those and never in traffic. :no:

These are links to pics of the setup.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n191/DevLcL/IMG_2438.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n191/DevLcL/IMG_2434.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n191/DevLcL/IMG_2427.jpg

Looking at this last pic it would seem sort of cluttered near the lighting controls but it really isn't. The picture does do it justice.

·
Registered
37 Posts
JamesDub - thanks alot for posting that along with some pics. I have been wanting to install a CB in my truck for some time now. My problem has always been the antenna, which, in a perfect world should go on the roof. But, who wants the hassle of having to move a magnetic mount every time you enter the garage? 11 miles of range out of a 2' antenna is pretty good! I think I might do the same set up in my TB.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You should! It's alot of fun.:yes: I have a 100 watt PA setup and its very loud. I also have different siren noises but I rarely use those and never in traffic. :no:
Why'd you have to show me that , I'm already eating Top-Ramen noodles 3 times a day cause of my modding addiction . I will most likely just get a 10 watt speaker for $15 , I'm sure it will be loud enough to yell at people/girls with :undecided .

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
UPDATE !!!
Well I sent back the defective SWR meter and ordered one off Ebay for $8.50 delivered , awesome deal . So it arrived today and I tuned my 2' and 4' Firestik antennas . http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=330151624092&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=014
I also added a 15" braided ground strap from one of the screws on the mount forward down the hood channel to the bolt that mounts the fender to the frame . This to ensure the mount was grounded really good , only cost $4.95 at Kragen .

WOW what a huge difference after using the SWR meter !!
With the 2' I was danerously high on the SWRs , coulda burned up my new CB . Optimum SWR is 1.1 to 1.5 , anything over 3.0swr can do damage to the CB . Mine was like 4.4swr for the last week or so :eek: . I got the 2' antenna tuned down to 2.0swr on channel 1 and 2.1swr on channel 30 , with the most active channel 19 at 1.4swr . To keep the CB happy I won't spend much time from channels 31-40 . But wow I am hearing so much more now , every channel loud and clear . I couldn't believe it just now on the way to dinner I was talking to a guy in Clovis CA which is at minimum 25 miles away from Madera !! On the 2' antenna !!!
I now even can sit in my garage and pull the signals in , tuning the antenna/swr kicks ass .

The 4' antenna was no surprise true to its name a "FIRESTIK" . I tuned all 40 channels to 1.1swr to 1.4swr , damn near perfect .
This sucker will really reach out and talk far . I'll have to get some more time to talk on it to see just how far it will go .

With the SWR meter you can also see how many watts your CB is pushing , the FCC limits them to 4 watts . I'm reading 6 watts output on my Uniden PRO520-XL , I couldn't be happier with my choice of CB :yes: .

These Firestik antennas are super easy to tune , you pull off the red cap on top and screw the top in or out depending on what the swr meter says .
The Firestik website has a wealth of info about all this on the tech page here .... http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs.htm

Hope my install helps guys interested in setting up a CB in there TrailVoys .
I'm finding my high end stereo turned off and my CB on now , lots of characters on the airwaves .

*Oh and I also bought a 10 watt PA speaker off Ebay for $17.20 shipped , it'll be here tomorrow . Can't wait to play with that :cool: .http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=320137361411&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=011

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Well I just mounted the PA horn :D . Works awesome , its actually a 12 watt output . Its pretty damn loud and really clear . I can forsee me getting into trouble with this thing :cool: .
Heres some pics of the speaker mounted ... and a pic of the 15" grounding strap from the antenna mount to the frame .

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
60 Posts
i actually have the exact same cb like you said mounted inside of my center console but to cloe the console i have to take off the mic. because after cutting a hole in the bottom of the ox the air vent underneith the console pushes and the coax wire and hold the cb up to far. but it still works good. so i just plug in the mic when i wanna use it

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.