Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,236 Posts
The factory temp is good. How will replacing it with a higher temp unit help if it already does not get to the 195 setting?

Not to pick on you, but you almost sound like one of the guys who cranks the home thermostat to 100 to warm up a room quicker. :D

Blocking air flow through the radiator is the only real way to hasten temp rise. You can experiment with a piece of cardboard. Make sure you have a hole in the center so the fan does not draw against a solid surface. Really hard on fan or water pump bearings. In the great white nort' we often use some sort of air flow block over the radiator to achieve temps needed to keep everything warn. Makes a big difference in really cold weather. One issue to keep in mind, however, is that WHEN you finally do need to stretch the car's legs a bit on a longer run make sure you remove the air flow block or it will overheat causing even more problems.

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_slt
27 Posts
Hi Jimmyjam, I thought if you removed the O2 sensors and the power returns, it was the O2 sensors? :confused: If the stuck open tstat is the causing problem for the cat clog, should you install a new tstat or can that be fixed? I have noticed a slight decrease in acceleration and a change in gas mileage in my 02 TB. I used octane booster and noticed an improvement in my gas mileage, but it's still not right. I also had an oil change using a FRAM High mileage oil filter (since it was put in I have heard bad things about that type of filter); could that be the problem? The oil filter makes the engine sound like a 18 wheeler!:confused:

I love this site; am learning a lot about my 02 trailblazer!
I know this is an old post and an even older thread but should someone read this person s questions, I'd have to reply with, "Did you read the first 6 pages of this topic?" Don't be lazy and skip[ to the end. Read read read. Its the only way you are going to learn and get all of the info. Removing the 02 sensor and seeing an improvement in performance does not mean the 02 sensor is bad. You're opening a hole in your exhaust which gives the exhaust gases some place to escape, thus proving that you have a blockage in your exhaust system, which is probably going to be your CC unless someone stuffed a banana up your tailpipe. As far as the Thermostat question, you don't repair a faulty thermostat. You repair the problem by replacing the faulty one with a new one. How does a new thermostat help prevent the CC from getting clogged or eventually blocked? Your engine runs much richer when it runs cool. A rich running engine will cause the CC to clog up. An engine with a stuck OPEN thermostat may not produce a CEL because the computer does not check things like an over-rich condition until the engine reaches normal operating temperature. I would think that you would get a code for the engine not running at proper temp though. And to think I learned all of this just from taking 10 minutes and reading from page 1 to page 7 of this topic. I'm sorry for the sarcasm, I just think it's important for people to do their own research otherwise your just giving them a fish instead of teaching them how to catch their own. Sorry I feel bad now.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
2 Posts
I've read through several threads on this forum relating to this topic and the same question keeps popping into my head:

Several have made suggestions to remove the Upstream 02 sensor to diagnose a plugged cat...If the cat is plugged, why not just leave the Upstream 02 sensor unplugged? Isn't that a much cheaper fix?

·
Registered
2005 gmc trailblazer_lt
2 Posts
I wouldn't want to run the truck with a exhaust leak under the cabin. Carbon monoxide I believe is what could be produced.
But another question that I didn't see answered in this thread, if one was to pipe thru the cat, replace the temp sensor and thermostat, would you still get the CEL?
Has anyone done this with long term success? Just wondering since I'm looking at one with p0420 code and little power.

·
Registered
2005 gmc trailblazer_lt
2 Posts
I wouldn't want to run the truck with a exhaust leak under the cabin. Carbon monoxide I believe is what could be produced.
But another question that I didn't see answered in this thread, if one was to pipe thru the cat, replace the temp sensor and thermostat, would you still get the CEL?
Has anyone done this with long term success? Just wondering since I'm looking at one with p0420 code (along with others I will read more on)and very little power.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
71 Posts
Guys,

when you remove the O2 sensor for a test of the CAT, it is the same thing as a leak and your engine exhaust is loud as hell. You wouldn't want to drive it that way. I went 10 miles last night and all the people I passed who were in their yards stared at me...like who is this moron with no exhaust...

·
Registered
1 Posts
2002 chevy trail blazer

well let start with i got my at a use deller and got
over 20000 miles it started cutting off when u came to stop at red light then i keep
drive 4 a little bit then my husben cuz took my map off and look at it
then put back on ..then it stop for a few day then back at cutting off
went on line hear it might be thowebody clen it resit computer on it went doing ok then now power and cuttting off back fire and went on line hear cat soo im cutting it offf then it still just cutting offf when i stop at light .....helpppppp pleses

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
1 Posts
My bad cat story

Just had my catalytic converter replaced on my 02 trailblazer and it 100% fixed the problem. Wanted to throw in my story in case anybody else out there is having similar problems. No codes came up and I didn't get a check engine light.

At first I thought it was the fuel pump going out, maybe transmission problems but it turned out my cat was toast.

Some of the problems my trailblazer was having...

- loss of power
- sluggish acceleration
- hard shifting
- trouble going up hills (felt like casey jr. chugging along "I think I can...")
- couldn't go past 50 mph
- rough idling

Watched a video on YouTube that helped me diagnose the problem. Used my OBDII code reader to check the live data on the 02 sensors. They were off and all over the place. Also used a temperature laser gun to measure the heat coming off the front and end of the catalytic converter.

Bought the part on Amazon for a couple hundred bucks (had to get the California approved version) and paid a local shop to weld it in for $200 more.

Now my trailblazer is driving great again.

Go to Youtube for the video I used and search for "How to Check a Catalytic Converter for Blockage or Efficiency Below Threshold Issues"

61 - 69 of 69 Posts