Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 05 envoy, not the xl model. Can I replace the cat without taking out that middle cross member? I want to use the direct fit bolt on one.

Thank you
Dacoach

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,203 Posts
Two of the three header bolts can be accessed from under the truck with a long extension and a swivel socket. The upper one is a bit of a pain, but can be accessed through the wheel well. When you loosen them, DO NOT just crank away, you'll strip the header bolts in the manifold. You'll need to soak them several times over a day or so with penetrating oil, back them out 1/8 of a turn, tighten them back up. Loosen them some more and then tighten it back up....really work them off.

Alternately, you can heat them up with a torch and then loosen them. The truck is getting the torch close enough to heat them.....they'll come off easier, if you can. (Make them glow bright red, then loosen them). I had to take mine out to lower the transmission, its a a bit of a PITA, after they've been on for several years up here in the mid-Atlantic or North-East.

On the back side, there's two bolts at the muffler to converter joint, they're easier to get at and can be done w/o pulling the crossmember. (Soak'm good first!)

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. If I had to drop that cross member then I would take it to the shop. It is nice to know that I can do it before I find out it is to late.

Dacoach

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
826 Posts
I had to cut mine to get it out without taking the crossmember off .But they say the new one will fit without taking the crossmember off. I think its a little shorter at the bends or somthing.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,203 Posts
If you have enough room under the truck, it is possible to maneuver the converter pipe out without dropping the cross member. (They claim you need pull the rear trailing arms for the rear swaybar, but I've had mine in and out without doing it, with the truck on the ground).

For the converter, it helps to have the vehicle up a but and not on the ground. I was luck enough to have my brother's shop with a lift to do the tranny lines just two weeks ago. Ultimately had to pull the cross member out, which isn't bad actually, just place a jack under the transfer case if you're a 4x4 or back of the tranny for 2WD. - The tranny lines take a few steps beyond loosening the converter bolts to get at them, so I was past what the OP needs to do.

I had to cut mine to get it out without taking the crossmember off .But they say the new one will fit without taking the crossmember off. I think its a little shorter at the bends or somthing.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
33 Posts
installing new cat.

I got the old one out by doing a little cutting on it. The new one however looks like it's going to be tough to get back in.

Has anyone removed the aluminum bracket that supports the aft section of the catalytic pipe? Seems to me that might give me enough room to get the new one in?

Any other thoughts?

Sure hate to have to remove the crossmember.

Thanks for the input.

Justin:confused:

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,203 Posts
That bracket can safely be removed, I had to pull mine to dump the transmission tail down when I replaced the bad cooler line. You can actually loosen the bracket w/o having anything else fall down on you.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
2 Posts
How did you get it installed?

I got the old one out by doing a little cutting on it. The new one however looks like it's going to be tough to get back in.

Has anyone removed the aluminum bracket that supports the aft section of the catalytic pipe? Seems to me that might give me enough room to get the new one in?

Any other thoughts?

Sure hate to have to remove the crossmember.

Thanks for the input.

Justin:confused:
Just wondering if you had to take out the crossmember to get it installed, or if there is a way to get it in without taking out the crossmember?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts