Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
doesn anyone know a way that i can remove my starter? i have a Haynes repair manual but it doesnt show how to get it from the top. in the pic it doesnt show the intake cover. so if anyone knows how to take off the intake manifold cover plz let me know. :) greatly appreciated!

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
:tiphat Welcome :tiphat .First: Please fill out your User CP info. You haven't said, so I will take it that you are working on the 4.2 I-6. The service manual says to remove the drivers side tire and go through the wheel well. (To remove the starter, not the intake.)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have the manual. but i cant reach it. and even if i could. theres not enough space to turn the wrench. if u look in the manual. the pic shows the starter from the top. and notice that the intake cover is taken off. thats what i wanna know how to do is take the cover off so i can get it from the top. but thanx for the reply tho sir. :)

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
281 Posts
it can be done. i did mine when i thought it had gone out. come to find out it was the ignition switch. use an extention and an angled socket. i took it off from the top. nothing fancy just the two bolts and the 2 wires that go to the starter. get the socket and put it on the lower bolt 1st. just feel around to find it. then add the exention and then the angle. hope this helps. good luck!

·
Banned
7,255 Posts
If I remember correctly, you can access it easily if you jack up the drivers side front, support it on a stand, remove the wheel, and pull back the inner fender lining. That's how I did it. I think that is what the Haynes manual says to do as well.

·
Registered
281 Posts
the main ones are the same size..as far as the ones on the wires there smaller. make sure u get a step ladder to make it easlier for u to lean over. make sure u know 4 sure its the starter that went out and not the ignition wire, that was my mistake.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
7 Posts
have the same problem right now, arrggh!

This so frustrating, only 2 bolts and this has become a nightmare and many posts speaking on this at all, im shocked. I'm going to autozone and look for the extensions and angled thing thanks guys. niether the factory or haynes manual is very clear about how hard it is to reach that top bolt or recommend an ext. it's insane!!

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
They do assume you have a more-than-complete collection of extensions and u-joints. One of the most useful kits I got from Harbor Freight on sale was some wobble-extensions where the tips allowed for 15 degrees of mini-tilt.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.