Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I filled up the tank with no issues, drove about 125 miles and stopped to put more fuel in the tank. Well, the gas pump handle kept cutting of, so 30 minutes and 8 gallons later, it was filled.
Took it to the repair shop and they spent the morning troubleshooting the filler, vent lines and evap systems and determined it was the carbon filtration canister, which had to be ordered and 2 days later it was replaced.
I stopped to fill it up and after 3 attempts, I took it back. They have done everything they can think of (vent tubes cleaned and dried and tested, filler pipe, etc) and still have not solved the issue. The plan is to remove the gas tank and continue to inspect and troubleshoot and possibly replace the tank.
Any suggestion or ideas?

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
28 Posts
Is there any leakage around the filler neck? That was my issue. GM covered to have a new replaced under special policy.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
333 Posts
Try replacing the fuel filler neck. It goes from the tank to the fuel cap. Not too expensive, easy enough job.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So the mechanic kept troubleshooting and his conclusion is the previous owner had the fuel pump replaced with an aftermarket one. This created a problem because the aftermarket pump did not have the correct venting so air couldn't vent from the tank properly, especially after long trips. He took off the gas tank, vent tubes, filler pipe. I'll see what happens after he gets it all together and hope this is the correct solution. I'll be visiting the garage that installed the wrong part next week.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Could not put gas in and sometimes the gas would come shooting back out..

For me the problem started out where I could fill the tank and every now and then the pump handle would keep shutting off. I unplugged my EVAP hoses thinking it was a venting problem. That didn't help. The problem kept getting worse until the point that the pump would shut off every 20 cents. It took forever to put gas in.

The problem was and apparently this is becoming common, the rubber fill hose just before the tank collapses inside so I ordered the filler neck and vent hose. The reason I also ordered the filler neck is because there is also a rubber hose on it and I didn't want to take the chance of that hose collapsing also.. It was just cheap insurance to just get all new..

I just replaced everything today and what do you know, the hose just before the tank was completely collapsed inside. I couldn't tell at all from the looking at it from the outside or even squeezing the hose.

The inner lining of the hose swells up then I assume, gas gets behind it and causes it to collapse in on itself. Problem solved...

I ordered my parts from rock auto.

Fuel tank filler neck part number SK577379 $45.79
Fuel tank vent hose part number 15131046 $16.86

Make sure you install the vent hose (hose before tank) correctly. The new one has a one way flapper valve in it. Make sure the notch at the end of the hose faces up and goes into the notch on the filler neck on the tank..

Hope this helps...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts