Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the middle of the front spring install, thought i had all the "hard" parts done and over with. I cannot get this damn thing to go back into the strut tower. Am i missing something or what? I try every angle, and that top black piece is a super tight fit through the hole, i cant get it to go and it gets pretty heavy and awkward by yourself after 10min of trying. I thought it was all down here from this point, i guess not
Was thinking of busting that top control arm lose, but the damn thing came out with it there, i would imagine it would go back in as well
Any advice? Thanx

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
You could grind down the washer, or get the strut straighter before going up through the hole. Remove the lower mount off the shock, then it's shorter and should go in. Then reassemble the lower mount.

Actually, grinding down the washer diameter will guarantee you won't get a super-annoying and mysterious squeak later that's been traced to that washer.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,203 Posts
I don't recall the upper washer being wider than the upper strut bearing.....could you have reversed the washers and placed the lower on the top and the top on the lower? (If I remember right, they weren't the same size and one was larger than the other).

- Just a thought, although grinding it down a bit like Roadie suggested should work. It will sit above the framing, so a little brute force to get it through the hole shouldn't hurt anything.

·
Banned
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
7,255 Posts
:iagree:Looks to me like the washers have been reinstalled wrong. Either take it apart and switch em, or grind it down. Also, attach the strut to the upper mount first and then do the LCA. It's much easier to work with that way.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
..could you have reversed the washers and placed the lower on the top and the top on the lower? (If I remember right, they weren't the same size and one was larger than the other)....
thats exactly what happened.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thats exactly what happened.
yep, just came inside from dropping the other side, damn i kept it all together i thought pretty well too, apparently they got mixed up. Oh well hopefully its really all down hill from here, the install wasnt nearly as hard as i anticipated thank god and that pit man puller works wonders.
I did have to go back to get the "bigger" one though, couldnt tell in the pix when i searched if it was small or larger one. oh well thanx all! back to work

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
497 Posts
yep, just came inside from dropping the other side, damn i kept it all together i thought pretty well too, apparently they got mixed up. Oh well hopefully its really all down hill from here, the install wasnt nearly as hard as i anticipated thank god and that pit man puller works wonders.
I did have to go back to get the "bigger" one though, couldnt tell in the pix when i searched if it was small or larger one. oh well thanx all! back to work
I'm getting ready to do this, myself.... what did you use the puller for?

And your springs are blue... what are they from?

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
I'm getting ready to do this, myself.... what did you use the puller for?
You need to read a few more threads. Search until you see one of my pictures about how the Pittman Arm Puller is used. Oh, heck here's the pic. You still need to search and read more. Penetrating oil a few days before is also very helpful.

And your springs are blue... what are they from?
A lowering kit. Not stock.

·
Registered
497 Posts
You need to read a few more threads. Search until you see one of my pictures about how the Pittman Arm Puller is used. Oh, heck here's the pic. You still need to search and read more. Penetrating oil a few days before is also very helpful.
I replaced a few coilovers on other vehicles. Never have I needed a pitman arm puller. That's usually for steering, btw ;) My puller wouldn't work in that situation. I think the "hooks" are too thick.

I bet my pickle fork will do the job, tho.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
We have a unique and insane design. I agree. I ground down my puller's fingers a bit to fit better. A pickle fork also works.

·
Registered
497 Posts
We have a unique and insane design. I agree. I ground down my puller's fingers a bit to fit better. A pickle fork also works.
Crazy. I was surprised when I crawled under the truck for the first time. I wonder why GM did what they did, sometimes. I know people like to cite "bean counters" as the common cause, but there are some things that I think had to cost more this way.

·
Banned
7,255 Posts
I replaced a few coilovers on other vehicles. Never have I needed a pitman arm puller. That's usually for steering, btw ;) My puller wouldn't work in that situation. I think the "hooks" are too thick.

I bet my pickle fork will do the job, tho.
I'm sure it will, if you like doing everything the hard way. Take it from us who have done it before. Pitman arm will pull the lower strut mount in a matter of seconds if you spray PB Blaster on the nut a few days before.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_3ss
3,118 Posts
I'm sure it will, if you like doing everything the hard way. Take it from us who have done it before. Pitman arm will pull the lower strut mount in a matter of seconds if you spray PB Blaster on the nut a few days before.
:iagree:
That pitman arm puller you have should work..
The lower arm mount is enclosed in rubber, just wedge it out a little
with a strait screwdriver then insert the puller arms, tap gently with
hammer to get a little more surface area on the arms.
Be sure that both arms are makeing good contact to put strait pulling
force on stud..or you might strip the threads of the stud..Big NO NO!!

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
721 Posts
:Be sure that both arms are making good contact to put strait pulling force on stud..or you might strip the threads of the stud..Big NO NO!!
That's why I like my pickle fork for this part of the job. Much easier and faster. No need to pry anything, no need to grind anything, no need to carefully position the fingers of the puller. Just start the pickle fork in position by hand, give it two healthy thwacks with a BFH, and the yoke pops right off. Couldn't be easier.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
331 Posts
Now you tell us!!

Now you tell us! lol I stripped the bolt and ended up costing me $80. :bonk: I'm prob gonna get it rethreaded in case it breaks again or try and sell it. Lesson learned i guess

·
Registered
290 Posts
Hey it happens but now you know pitmin arm puller is the way to do it. They say you can wedge a screw driver behind it and tap the strut arm with a hammer. But I tried and had no luck. used the puller and pop it was off amazing tool just use it right or the problem begins. Good luck with the job bud :thumbsup:

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
I wonder why GM did what they did, sometimes. I know people like to cite "bean counters" as the common cause, but there are some things that I think had to cost more this way.
Agreed. From some clues in historical posts, some things were designed by teams with a lot of interns, I think. Without enough adult supervision, they would be prone to make mistakes that more experienced engineers would have automatically discarded.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_3ss
3,118 Posts
Now you tell us! lol I stripped the bolt and ended up costing me $80. :bonk: I'm prob gonna get it rethreaded in case it breaks again or try and sell it. Lesson learned i guess
I learned from you mike..teehee..
Just trying to pass on..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts