Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My second row seat in my 2003 trailblazer will fold forward but I cannot get it to release from the floor. I have the plastic levers on the side of the seat, you push one way to fold the seat forward then the other way to release if from the floor to lift it up. When I try to release from the floor the lever appears to go further than it should and it is not releasing. The passenger side releases just fine. Does anyone know anything about the mechanism or if this has been asked before could you direct me to the thread?

Any help is much appreciated, I need to get to my fuse box and I would just like it to work!:crazy:

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
57 Posts
Is your TB an EXT? I can lift our seat an post a pic if you aren't sure if something is broken...or maybe it will help find a way to release the seat.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Slide the front seat forward. This will release the pressure and allow it to fold up. You don't need to pull the lever to fold up. They don't lock when folded down. But what does happen is you fold it down and then slide the front seat back. Or the front seat is back already and you force the seatback down.
When this happens it is almost impossible to get it back upright.

i don't how many times I have tried to fold the seat back up and had to go to the front seat and slide it forward. I am the short one in a family of tall people.

I reread your post and maybe I am reading it wrong. Which cushion are you trying to move and which way. If you are trying to raise the cushion you sit on then feel down in between the seat back and seat cushion and find the strap with a loop on it. You pull the strap to get the seat cushion to raise up. The only thing the plastic lever releases on the side of the seat is the seat back.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate the advice I did try moving the driver seat forward but since I am only 5'3", I was pretty sure that wasn't the problem. I don't have the loop that you refer to, mine has the plastic handles on the side of the seat. I think that the one on this seat is broken. So I was really hoping someone might know the mechanics of how the release works.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle
122 Posts
I appreciate the advice I did try moving the driver seat forward but since I am only 5'3", I was pretty sure that wasn't the problem. I don't have the loop that you refer to, mine has the plastic handles on the side of the seat. I think that the one on this seat is broken. So I was really hoping someone might know the mechanics of how the release works.
The plastic handle is only for putting the seat BACK / UPRIGHT down
To raise the seat cushion that you sit on you must find and pull the LOOP - if you don't see it it may be pushed down into / between the seat cushion and upright cushion - the seat you sit on is locked down - once you find and pull the loop it releases the lock and lets you lift the cushion - there is or should be a loop in the center of each seat cushion - dark here now but pic is of my loop with flashlight

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle
122 Posts
The plastic handle is only for putting the seat BACK / UPRIGHT down
To raise the seat cushion that you sit on you must find and pull the LOOP - if you don't see it it may be pushed down into / between the seat cushion and upright cushion - the seat you sit on is locked down - once you find and pull the loop it releases the lock and lets you lift the cushion - there is or should be a loop in the center of each seat cushion - if you can lift one seat without pulling a loop it means that seat lock is broken or disabled - maybe the loop broke so the previous owner disabled the lock - the seat you cannot raise is locked by a metal bar - when the loop is pulled it pulls the metal bar away from the floor lock and lets you raise the seat - dark here now but pic is of my loop with flashlight

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The plastic handle on my trailblazer is for flipping the seat back forward and for lifting seat bottom up. I think I already stated the other side works fine. Just for fun I went out and looked for a loop and there is not one, I can stick my hand through the seat and see it sticking out the other side and run it from one side to the other and there is not a loop. I even read the manual again and it is pretty clear that for the seats directly behind driver and front passenger seats you use the plastic handle on the side of the seats. You push one way to release the seat back, then the other way to flip up the seat bottom.

I guess I didn't think I would be the only person to have this problem. I appreciate your trying to help me though.:thx

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle
122 Posts
It's possible you are the only one to have this problem because someone changed your seats to EXT seats or someone was asleep at the factory????

I have an 04 and 06 and have to lift the lever on the side of the seat to lower the seat back but have to do nothing to raise the seat back.

I also read page 1-6 of the 03 owner manual and it is the same as the 04 and o6 - it does not say you have to use any levers to raise the seat back

I do see a 2 way lever on page 1-7 of the manual but that is for the EXT which you say you do not have.

No it's not an EXT. I don't think I need a picture because the one on the other side works.
It seems you have EXT seats - I can't help any further as neither of mine is an EXT - hopefully those with EXT seats can give you some insight into how that 2 way lever work internally or how you can get around it.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
295 Posts
I have an ext., I just looked at it, mine has a handle like lever with #1 towards the front and #2 towards the back, if yours is simular I would take off the plastic covers on boyhsides of the seat at the back hing part, you should be able to see " C " hooks that grab the floor should be on the passangers side of the seat, try and flip it with a scew driver, once the seat is up check the mecanisem, note you may have to take off more platic or remove the bench completely from the vehicle.

good luck and give some feed back:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Mika, thank you for the information, I thought there had to be a way to mechanically release the seat. I didn't want to just tear into it without any direction. :thx

I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mystery Solved

Mika, I took the release handle off today and the plastic cover and the mystery of why the seat wouldn't lift up was very obvious. There are two cables one for each floor hook and both of them were broke off. I hooked a pair of vice grips to each cable, gave them a pull and the seat lifted right up. There was a quarter that was down by one of the hooks and I think that was maybe in the way and someone reefed on the lever and broke the cables.

I ordered the replacement cables today and I hope I am able to fix it because they were $80.

Thanks again to everyone that tried to help.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
295 Posts
Cool, happy it's not that hard of a fix.. Still a pain in the butt, but never the less pritty simple.:D

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
1 Posts
rear passenger seat will not lift

I'm not sure if i should be posting in this thread but my question is similar to this issue. My loop on my used vehicle i had purchased is broken off or not there, what options do i have to pull the metal mechanism back to release it to lift the seat so that i can attach a new rope onto it for future use. thanks Brendan

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mystery Solved

Mika, I took the release handle off today and the plastic cover and the mystery of why the seat wouldn't lift up was very obvious. There are two cables one for each floor hook and both of them were broke off. I hooked a pair of vice grips to each cable, gave them a pull and the seat lifted right up. There was a quarter that was down by one of the hooks and I think that was maybe in the way and someone reefed on the lever and broke the cables.

I ordered the replacement cables today and I hope I am able to fix it because they were $80.

Thanks again to everyone that tried to help.
Sweet bro I'm here with you in 2020 all the way!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts