Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cant believe I have to ask this question, fell like such a noob. 2006 trailblazer, check eng light came on, plug #1 misfire. Have 44k miles and never did plugs so off to autozone for plugs. Picked up all they had, bosch platinum. Got home, opened hood to let it cool off a little and I'll be damned if I cant see where the he#& the spark plugs are??? Looked for typical dist setup to follow the wires and obviously that doesnt exist. Pass side of block looks like it has some sort of cover over it? Right side obstructed too but still dont see plugs or plug wires? Am I crazy or what? Im an old fashioned chevy 350 type of guy, can someone either provide a pic or diagram or a good explanation???
Have a 3 day camping trip tomorrow and need to get this squared away tonight. If I run out of time and can only change 1 plug which side is the number 1 on? Drivers side front?
Thx COry

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,436 Posts
Wish you'd checked here first. Bosch plugs have not had good reports. AC Delco. Gap them properly. And look underneath the coils on top of the head - they are coil-on-plug design with no high voltage wires.

Assuming, since you didn't fill out your profile, that you have the inline 6. The V8 has wires, and I assume you'd see those. Note INLINE 6. Plug #1 is near the radiator.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wish you'd checked here first. Bosch plugs have not had good reports. AC Delco. Gap them properly. And look underneath the coils on top of the head - they are coil-on-lug design with no high voltage wires.

Assuming, since you didn't fill out your profile, that you have the inline 6. The V8 has wires, and I assume you'd see those. Note INLINE 6. Plug #1 is near the radiator.
Roadie, thx for the reply, would have preferred ac delco myself but all they had in stock was bosch. You said on top of the head? I have the 4.3 liter 6. Are they under the airbox? Any trick to removing since this is my first experience with this type?
Thx Cory

·
Banned
chevy
12,987 Posts
Wish you'd checked here first. Bosch plugs have not had good reports. AC Delco. Gap them properly. And look underneath the coils on top of the head - they are coil-on-lug design with no high voltage wires.

Not to argue with the Roadie.... cuz he is almost never wrong.... but AC Delco recommends that you NOT change the gap on them. They come with the proper gap set. Platinum plugs are very easy to damage if you are not experienced at gapping them. :cool:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not to argue with the Roadie.... cuz he is almost never wrong.... but AC Delco recommends that you NOT change the gap on them. They come with the proper gap set. Platinum plugs are very easy to damage if you are not experienced at gapping them. :cool:
The bosch were supposed to be pregapped, have no intention od fooling with them, maybe I'll change just the number 1 cyl and see what happens. Ill get delco after the camping trip and do all 6.

·
Banned
chevy
12,987 Posts
The bosch were supposed to be pregapped, have no intention od fooling with them, maybe I'll change just the number 1 cyl and see what happens. Ill get delco after the camping trip and do all 6.
I guess its worth a shot, but I would bet you have a failing coil, not a bad plug. The factory plugs can last 100,000 miles. It is possible that you have a bad one, just not likely. Better bet is to swap one of the coils from the number one cylinder and see if it throws a code for a different cylinder.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,436 Posts
.. but AC Delco recommends that you NOT change the gap on them. They come with the proper gap set. ...
Ahhhh, learn something every day. I seem to remember the gap recommendation for the I6 CHANGED over the years, but I may be wrong. I didn't figure AC Delco would pre-gap them differently under different part numbers, because that messes with the supply chain. Anybody have more details on the gap and if it changed from year to year?

Hey, I'm so dumb I put in Bosch at 50K miles and haven't yet changed them out for AC Delco. I shouldn't talk. :no:

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
6,624 Posts
the bosch platinum had a habit of the porcelain breaking and falling into the cylinders...

and just for the record... unless u have the old generation blazers... the trailblazers came with an inline 4.2 I6

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,834 Posts
Hey, I'm so dumb I put in Bosch at 50K miles and haven't yet changed them out for AC Delco. I shouldn't talk. :no:
So you are one of the very few that are running Bosch and not having huge problems? I worked at Autozone for a while and Bosch and Chev did not make for a good mix. Question, what Bosch are you running 1,2,4, (electrodes)?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK,
changed just the number 1 plug and the car ran much better. Will leave that one in to get me through the weekend camping trip. Come monday will get ac delco and do all 6, thx to all who responded, keep yout fingers crossed that the fish are biting this weekend,
Cory

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I actually dont think it was the plug, when I pulled that boot out the "hole" had liquid (water) in it almost up to the top of the spark plug. I had gunked the engine down the other day, must have got too carried away with the hose. #2 cyl also had some "water" in it but not as much. Used some paper towels to soak it up. Would make sense that #1 would have the most water since its closer to the front of the eng.
Cory

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,436 Posts
I actually dont think it was the plug, when I pulled that boot out the "hole" had liquid (water) in it almost up to the top of the spark plug.
A-HA! Actually, some members have reported water in the #4 or 5 plug area from drippage coming off the hood as it opens. Worth worrying about if you're in a rainy region. Just a heads up.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
79 Posts
Just thought I would chime in with this. I have had NGK Iridium plugs in mine for 5 years now (holy crap time flies) and they run GREAT! I personally, am a fan of NGK plugs, I work at NAPA and woulda have gotten the AC's but either we didn't offer them at the time or they were not in our cataloging system.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.