Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I am attempting to get to my factory stereo, following the diagram provided by one of the wonderful users :

(Mine is for the envoy)

and when i remove the bottom U shaped piece of plastic, i cannot move it enough to get to the two screws it speaks of to remove the face plate. Also my center console I think is to high to get a screwdriver to them (although i could be mistaken, it is stock, and i haven't seen the screws yet.)

Any advice? I could just not be pushing it hard enough but then again i don't wan to break it.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
1,531 Posts
personally I remove the center console first. I don't know how they did it without but I don't even try.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
198 Posts
The first time I put my stereo in, I took the whole console out (but I broke it):( to get to the screws.

The last few times I've needed to remove it I did the manual thing and I haven't had one problem getting to them, my screwdriver has about an 8" shaft:dielaugh: so it's not that bad to get at them.

Also the piece you move out of the way has a split in the middle so it will bend without breaking. At least mine did.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, well I'll be a little more aggressive with that piece of plastic, thanks, just wanted to know if i was going to break it or not. Also if someone knows what kind of wiring harness i would need, i do not have Bose or onstar but i would like to keep my chimes.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
1,282 Posts
Pull on the top 2 vents to pop off the front faschia and the remaining clips all of the way down. There is NO need to take the front trim off completely to remove the stereo, but loosen it via the clips as much as you can.

Get a rachet and a 10mm socket. Take out the 3 screw/bolts that hold the stereo in.

Put the parking brake on. Turn key to "on" but do NOT start. Put gear selector in "1". Thats all the way back baby.

Bend the front trim back, pull the stereo out. Unplug the 2 connectors in back and the antenna wire.

With the trim pulled back, slide radio out sideways. Installation is the reverse.

Ive done this 2 dozen times in the past 4 years with my Envoy. Taking the console apart?!? Hogwash. Thats WAY overkill.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts