Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Dad has some dead evergreen shrubs in front of his house, I thought instead of killing myself with digging them out, I could attach a tow rope to the tree and pull..
Would this hurt the truck ? Should I use 4 lo?

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
137 Posts
Trailblazer may be a son of Stump Puller but there are cheaper ways to pull out dead shrubs. I doubt GM would give you a Hanky.:hissy::hissy:

·
Banned
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,531 Posts
I used mine to pull out 4 old cedar bushes last summer. I used a chain hooked to my trailer hitch and had it in 4low. Popped them right out. Just go slow and you should be ok.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
you probably could pull them out i would say to go slow and take it real easy don't want a broken diff like roadie.

But also I'm just SteveTB03 so don't take my word as the law do as you will just be careful :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
331 Posts
Why not?

I dont see why not. I wouldnt floor it trying to get them out but give it a little gas and see what happens. Maybe take something like a sawzall first and cut around the bushes to break up some of the roots.

·
Registered
2007 buick rainier
328 Posts
Americas Funniest Videos had a video of someone pulling a stump out. When the stump came out , the tension in the rope put the stump right thru his back window. Test your Luck.

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
If you try, use a chain to avoid the rubber band effect. I used my Envoy to pull out a 20' maple with no problems. But we did dig around it some first.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,483 Posts
Americas Funniest Videos had a video of someone pulling a stump out. When the stump came out , the tension in the rope put the stump right thru his back window. Test your Luck.
:rotfl:
Years ago, my father tried to pull a stump out with his Isuzu Trooper. Rope snapped back, broke right tail light. Tried again... Left tail light. :duh:

You might be better off digging :m2:

·
Registered
2004 trailblazer_lt
5,240 Posts
Years ago my Dad was trying to cut down an old Ash tree that was partially dead. The tree was so big around that his 18 inch chain saw wouldn't cut all the way through it, but we thought it was far enough through that I could probably snap it off where the cut was with my old 83 Chevy 4x4. I had an old army surplus 4 inch by 150 foot nylon snatch strap so I put the loop on the pintle hitch and tied the other end as far up the tree as I could reach with a 20 foot ladder and took off! It was really muddy and my tires were spinning as I got to the end of the strap. I had Interco Thornbirds at the time, and the truck would stretch the strap about 30 foot when I got on it and then it would pull me back, much like a rubber band! Each time I would hit it a little harder, and it would snatch me back a little harder! It was really a lot of fun, I'd never pulled on a snatch strap that hard before. On the 7th time I gave it every thing it had and right when I thought it was going to snatch me back again, the truck just lurched ahead. Cool, I finally won the battle and snapped the tree off at the stump!!! Wronnnng!!! When I got stopped I looked back and my Dad was laughing! The tree didn't snap. Neither did the snatch strap! I had pulled a 65 foot Ash tree completely over! Roots and all! It turns out the tree was not dead in the center...Man that was fun!

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
2,369 Posts
if you're worried about damaging something in the powertrain..i' say go for it. you have a warranty anyway. (i'm a rebel). but chances of breaking a tail light or your rear windshield are likely. if you chose to do it, make it easier for yourself and the truck and dig around it and go slow.

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_slt
413 Posts
I've used my Envoy for that very project. #1 - Use an ax to chop around the roots #2 - Use a heavy chain and hook it to your hitch #3 - Tie a rope to the tree side of the chain and have someone keep it under tension in case the chain snaps or slips off the shrub #4 - Put it in 4LO and GO SLOW! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ash trees are tricky like that. They can look pretty dead when they're perfectly healthy.

Years ago my Dad was trying to cut down an old Ash tree that was partially dead. The tree was so big around that his 18 inch chain saw wouldn't cut all the way through it, but we thought it was far enough through that I could probably snap it off where the cut was with my old 83 Chevy 4x4. I had an old army surplus 4 inch by 150 foot nylon snatch strap so I put the loop on the pintle hitch and tied the other end as far up the tree as I could reach with a 20 foot ladder and took off! It was really muddy and my tires were spinning as I got to the end of the strap. I had Interco Thornbirds at the time, and the truck would stretch the strap about 30 foot when I got on it and then it would pull me back, much like a rubber band! Each time I would hit it a little harder, and it would snatch me back a little harder! It was really a lot of fun, I'd never pulled on a snatch strap that hard before. On the 7th time I gave it every thing it had and right when I thought it was going to snatch me back again, the truck just lurched ahead. Cool, I finally won the battle and snapped the tree off at the stump!!! Wronnnng!!! When I got stopped I looked back and my Dad was laughing! The tree didn't snap. Neither did the snatch strap! I had pulled a 65 foot Ash tree completely over! Roots and all! It turns out the tree was not dead in the center...Man that was fun!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've used my Envoy for that very project. #1 - Use an ax to chop around the roots #2 - Use a heavy chain and hook it to your hitch #3 - Tie a rope to the tree side of the chain and have someone keep it under tension in case the chain snaps or slips off the shrub #4 - Put it in 4LO and GO SLOW! :thumbsup:
Thank you everyone for the responses, I figured 4 lo and to go very slow- I will try this next weekend..and let you know if it works..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts