Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Can I trailer w/ my 05 TB

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Valkyrierider 
#1 ·
Trailering with my TB I purchased a 05 TB EXT LS 2WD back in May I would like to know if my TB will realistically trailer my show car. I am looking at purchasing an open air trailer and towing my 2001 Z/28 to car shows. I have the standard 4200 in my EXT. I would be traveling from Orlando to Atlanta once a year. Is this possible to do this with my TB or do I need to suck it up and buy a Chevy 2500 HD pickup to do the job.

Thanks
Sean
www.01pewterz28.com

#2 ·
how much does your Camaro weigh?

It also depends on what gearing you have 3.42, 3.73, 4.10

It looks like your GCWR Gross Combination Weight Rating can range from 10,000lbs to 11,000lbs depending on your gear ratio. You can tell your gear ratio, by the RPO code on the sticker in your glove box. I am sure someone on here can tell you what code is for what ratio.

But lets say you have a 3.42, well max trailer weight is 5,000lbs and your GCWR is 10,000lbs. Basically you don't want to exceed your GCWR, but you also don't want to get that close to it....i would say about 80% of the GCWR would be a good number.

It all depends on how much your camaro weighs and the trailer.

#3 ·
Without know the specifics of the car/trailer and your gearing I won't say one way or another, but I do know that if you do it (even if you end up buying the 2500HD) you need a good brake controller. That is a lot of extra weight to rely on your vehicle's stock brakes try to stop. I currently have a Tekonsha Voyager on my Silverado, but when I replace the Voyager as it is acting up, as well as when I add one to my TrailBlazer, I'll be adding a Tekonsha Prodigy. I've added one to my parents trucks and really like it. You can get one here for a pretty reasonable cost: Prodigy Brake Controller Be careful of some of the cheapies out there as they aren't adjustable and may not offer as quick as response.

The other thing you will probably want to make sure you use is a weight distributing hitch. This will "remove" some of the weight from the rear of your TB and apply to the front of you TB and back to the trailer. This will offer you a lot more stability and control while you are towing. Will also help some with the sway of the trailer. If you aren't familiar with what these are, these are bars that connect to the receiver hitch on the tow vehicle and then connect to the trailer frame with chains via snap-up bracks that are bolted to the frame of the trailer.

#4 ·
Adding to what already has been said, it might be difficult for your TB to tow another car due to you having an EXT and the I6. I have an 02 SWB with the I6, and I can tow till the cows come home, but with the EXT the towing capacity with the I6 goes down a few hundred pounds due to the extra weight of the TB.

#6 ·
With the info you gave us, it sounds like you are pretty close. It all depends on how much weight your trailer weighs and extra gear (people included).

#7 ·
I tow a boat and a two-horse trailer, and my voy hauls both well, not mach speeds down the highway, but fairly well (even up mountain grades) I got the I6 XL and the only drawback to this is I get like 5-10 MPG doing so. I prefer it to my Dodge Ram because I can fit more people and gear, only sacrificing a little speed and Fuel Economy.

Also sweet Camaro....:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.