2005 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guyz
ok so its time to change the tires
currently i have
DUNLOP 255/60/R17 on y 17 inch RIMS

the question I am asking is that can i go any wider like 260 265 on these tires
make them a bit wider. for better handling.
plus will it interfare with the other parts?
will get them tommorow so need the answer fast.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
175 Posts
Hope this helps :)

Here's the information I could gather, assuming stock wheels (Thanks to Clayton and The Roadie!):

16"

265/75/16 - needs spacers

285/75/16 (33") - needs spacers, new wheels, suspension and body lifts, cutting/hammering to fit

17"

255/65/17 - OK w/ no lift, spacers, or mods

255/70/17 - needs upper ball joint mod, possible hammering to fit

255/75/17 - needs spacers, upper ball joint mod, possible hammering to fit

265/70/17 - needs spacers, upper ball joint mod, definite cutting/hammering to fit

285/70/17 (33") - needs spacers, new wheels, suspension and body lifts, cutting/hammering to fit

305/70/17 (34") takes all of the above, plus total dedication to being *the* tallest TB of us all. (JamesDub)

If you need more help, check the tires threads.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
175 Posts
hey guyz
ok so its time to change the tires
currently i have
DUNLOP 255/60/R17 on y 17 inch RIMS

the question I am asking is that can i go any wider like 260 265 on these tires
make them a bit wider. for better handling.
plus will it interfare with the other parts?
will get them tommorow so need the answer fast.
From what I can tell they should fit fine.

If I'm wrong we'll find out quick from someone else.:)

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
The general advice we've discovered is that the diameter needs to be under 30.5" for it to be safe without other mods. You can go slightly wider than stock, but then you have to be careful with the aspect ratio (the second number) to make sure the tire doesn't go over 30.5". There are tire size calculators on-line to help this process.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
826 Posts
Hey Roadie,,,sorry if I am being a pain here,but I just got some 20 SS rims and the stock size is 30.04 Overall Diameter: But I went with 1 size bigger ,,255/ 55 /20 witch is 31.04 Overall Diameter Now is that 30.5" for off roading or just for every thing and should I go with stock .I just didnt want that low of a profile ,every little bit helps , thank you and I hope this isn't highjacking a post,most of my driving is highway ,country roads...

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Is the stock width 255 also?

You should be able to answer your own question. Just go look at how close your tire is to the upper ball joint. You want to put on tires that are 1" more diameter. That's 1/2" radius. (Assuming the same 255mm width).

Can your current tire grow bigger by 1/2" and not hit the metal?

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
826 Posts
Yes,,,They are,,, 255 50 20 is stock 255 55 20 is just the 1/2 '' radius. ,same size on the rest .but I never had the SS rims on yet to see how the stock fit on this trailblazer ,only had 17 '' rims on ,,not sure how close it is with stock tires on 20 rims ,,hate to buy stock size just to find out ,, lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.