Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im trying to find out what this wire is for and if it connects to the terminal..

i have the wire and terminal circled in picture.. any helps appreciated

i have a 06 LS

Thanks,
Daymon

·
Registered
2006 chevy
89 Posts
I can't answer your question but i have a 06 SS I which is the equivalent to the LS and mine is like that too. since we have the base packages and i know gm wires thier vehicles all the same regardless of which model the truck may become it's probaly power to a option we didn't get. At least i hope so or were both having the same problem.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
It's only used to feed a constant 12V to one of the 7 pins in the trailer connector. If you tow a larger trailer with its own battery that needs to be recharged as you drive, or a 12V fridge that needs to be powered, then connect it to the post and find the right size metric nut to fasten it.

Been discussed about twice a year, but I'll just post my pic now and forget looking up the other posts.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So Your Saying Since I Have A Pop-Up Camper That Has A Battery & A fridge... I should Hook it up? If Thats The Case I Tried Searching Here And Couldnt Find>> Thanks Roadie

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
6,568 Posts
i would say connect it.. but only when u need it.. i have heard people draining battery leaving it connected... so best bet is hook it up when ur towing the trailer..

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Anybody with a trailer with a battery should hook it up so they get the expected recharging current while driving along.

There are a couple of cautions I have, though.

I've NEVER heard of the vehicle battery discharging spontaneously through leaving the lug connected, although maybe hatchet is worried about the same thing I am, which is the TRAILER might drain the tow vehicle if you have some lights on, or ESPECIALLY if you leave the fridge running on 12V and you park at a motel overnight, let's say. A typical trailer fridge draws about 10A, which will croak a typical vehicle and/trailer battery overnight.

If you leave the trailer connected to the tow vehicle all the time, they're in parallel, and both will discharge.

I believe GM designed the lug to be shipped UNINSTALLED from the threaded stud so the owner could do the optimum thing, which would be to install a 30A relay in this circuit, only closing the relay when the vehicle's running. Then the relay would separate the trailer load from the vehicle during long or overnight stops.

GM did the design work, and then failed to document it in the manual.

You could do the same thing with a switch, but then you'd need a good memory to remember to put it in the proper position if you stopped overnight.

And just because I'm a cautious RV'er, let me repeat the warning to never run the fridge on propane while driving. Not worth the immense risk in a crash or at a refueling stop. Turn the propane tanks off at their valves while traveling.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
4,074 Posts
And just because I'm a cautious RV'er, let me repeat the warning to never run the fridge on propane while driving. Not worth the immense risk in a crash or at a refueling stop. Turn the propane tanks off at their valves while traveling.

GEZZZZZ your no fun Roadie...it is almost the 4th....hahaha:raspberry

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts

GEZZZZZ your no fun Roadie...it is almost the 4th....hahaha:raspberry
You've definitely got a mischievous side to you.:D

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
357 Posts
Roadie--Why is your installed megafuse 125 amp and your spare a 150 amp? Inquiring minds want to know. Also, did your vehicle come with the spare or is that something you added? Mine doesn't have one.

C.B.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Good eyes. I added the spare, but at the time, I wasn't willing to pay GM full price for the exact 125A replacement. The normal parts stores weren't stocking Megafuses (some are now), so I found that one at a marine parts store. 150 is close enough. Since I wanted the spare close to where I'd use it, I just tywrapped it there. I carry spares of LOTS of things for when I'm far from pavement.

For more reading:Roadiemobile Overview
What I carry on expeditions: Part One, Part Two, Part Three

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
695 Posts
I believe GM designed the lug to be shipped UNINSTALLED from the threaded stud so the owner could do the optimum thing, which would be to install a 30A relay in this circuit, only closing the relay when the vehicle's running. Then the relay would separate the trailer load from the vehicle during long or overnight stops.
Great idea. Anybody done so? I have a relay left over from wiring reverse lights into my trailer. Wonder how many amps it is :undecided

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.