Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
Joined
·
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have two 10's that are well over powered and recentally i was helping a friend install a 10 in a ported box and we had to test the sub first b4 putting it in his truck so we put it in mine and hooked it up to my system and it sounded AMAZING. is there something to that. it wasent the added volume it was the quality. is there something to that combanation? for referance my speakers were newer and better my amp is a 750. it sounded cool:woot:
 

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
Joined
·
3,552 Posts
only 10% of your system is equipment, the other 90% is the install.
 

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
Joined
·
1,113 Posts
only 10% of your system is equipment, the other 90% is the install.
:iagree: its not all about the size of the sub or how much power your puttin to it...its wat kind of box they are in

my pioneer 12s are hitting harder off of 800w than my friends kenwood exceleron 12s with 1600w amp :coffee
 

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
Joined
·
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well the two memphis 10's that are in my truck normally are in just a regular sealed box i guess is its name and the box i put in to test was a 10 in a ported box and idk if it matters but it was mounted backwards in the box and you could see the speaker through a glass window and there was the opening above it that if you stuck your hand in could touch the front of the speaker. im kinda new to the audio world. so idk the names but that was the setup
 

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
Joined
·
3,552 Posts
well the two memphis 10's that are in my truck normally are in just a regular sealed box i guess is its name and the box i put in to test was a 10 in a ported box and idk if it matters but it was mounted backwards in the box and you could see the speaker through a glass window and there was the opening above it that if you stuck your hand in could touch the front of the speaker. im kinda new to the audio world. so idk the names but that was the setup
through the window? im assuming from the fact that you dont know much about audio that its probably a banpass box you put the subs into?

your comparing a sealed to a banpass, is that right?

does it look something like this:
 

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
Joined
·
1,113 Posts
:undecided thats wats called a bandpass enclosure :yes:
 

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
Joined
·
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yep. thats the one but a single speaker.
 

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
Joined
·
3,552 Posts
google banpass.


in a bandpass it will generally sound louder than a ported, and a ported will sound louder than a sealed box.

but in doing so the opposite can be said about sound quality. the best (generally) being sealed, then ported, then bandpass.

one of the bad things about use those prefab bandpass enclosures is that they are not tuned to the sub nor the vehicle, usually just for looks. also with enfough time and power behind the sub, you will usually crack the plexi window.
 

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
Joined
·
1,113 Posts
in a bandpass it will generally sound louder than a ported, and a ported will sound louder than a sealed box.

but in doing so the opposite can be said about sound quality. the best (generally) being sealed, then ported, then bandpass.
:iagree: but a benefit of the bandpass is you can make a little sub sound loud :m2:

but yu need to be careful that yu dnt over power the box (even though that sounds wrong, its possible with bandpass) which will just make your system sound like coffee cans :weird:
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top