Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2007 gmc envoy_denali
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys
i,m thinking of install camshaft , but i dont know if its will work with DOD or not did any one try camshaft or any parts number i had one from compcams #54-450-11 looks soft but my main concern is DOD

thanks again

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
Doesnt matter at all man, DOD/AFM is ECM controlled. You will most likely have issues with an aftermarket cam with DOD/AFM and have to tune it to make it function correctly (or turn it off).

·
Registered
2007 gmc envoy_denali
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
alvin can handle the tune very well , now i have to choose the cam , if any one tried one plz let me know

·
Registered
2007 gmc envoy_denali
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
finaly i found the right one

for our application or to be right all trailvoy with DOD must use one of those

#156-400-13 (my choice)
#156-401-13
#156-402-13
#156-403-13

with cam phaser limter kit #5456 with spring # 26198-16 all from compcams i just ordered them ,, must be here end of may

stock cam lift is 480 int 480 ext

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_denali
9 Posts
I think that setup is for the 6.2l variable valve timing engine in the Escalade and full size Denali. totally different from the DOD setup. Our engines do not have a cam phase limiter. I would think any cam could work but would require a really good tuner to work well. DOD can be turned off by tuner and then it would just be like any other LS series engine. I would be inclined to use higher ratio rockers first an along with a full LT header exhaust system and a CAI with a tune before I would rip into the engine. For some reason it is hard to beat the factory without a lot of compromise in driveability.

·
Registered
2007 gmc envoy_denali
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
your right man i canceled the cam phaser limter but still with cam shaft compcams made new cams for 2007 and newer engines with one bolt ,, i had CIA and headers too + tune so far 287 WHP i ask alot of people about the rocker arms if it would increase HP it would be by 5 WHP and the price is same as camshaft , and the guys replay the cam shaft and springs with out takeing of the intake manifold they only take the cover off and timing chain cover and water pump its about 4 hours of working result is 20 WHP + better than 5 i mean nothing i could do to gain HP unless i do this

but do you think i still can use DOD

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_denali
9 Posts
A good cam can give you some awsome power if you have a really good tuner and a dyno to use. I think heads will come into play at some point. I have an LS2 GTO 6.0 as well as the Envoy and that engine opens a whole lot more opportunities for power than the 5.3. As you go more radical in camshaft the lower end torque falls off. While on the strip you feel and see better times, your real street performance will be not so good. All of your power gaines will be above 4000 rpm and I have to tell you I don't see 4000 rpm often while I am driving normally. Unfortunately the only way to get seat of the pants street grunt is to increase displacement. When you use 5.3l to move 5000lbs you are at a distinct disadvantage.

·
Registered
2007 gmc envoy_denali
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
your right again man

but compcams made cams for SUV,s with highest TQ you still can have both high end of tq its even starts from 1000 to 5700 RPM check them out

54451-11
54452-11
54453-11

and i liked the part of 4000 RPM :) we i dont see it alot roads are fully loaded

·
Registered
2004 buick rainier
84 Posts
I think that setup is for the 6.2l variable valve timing engine in the Escalade and full size Denali. totally different from the DOD setup. Our engines do not have a cam phase limiter. I would think any cam could work but would require a really good tuner to work well. DOD can be turned off by tuner and then it would just be like any other LS series engine. I would be inclined to use higher ratio rockers first an along with a full LT header exhaust system and a CAI with a tune before I would rip into the engine. For some reason it is hard to beat the factory without a lot of compromise in driveability.
Well said!!! Also the VVT engines has valve reliefs on the top of the pistons.

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_denali
9 Posts
If you were to design a complete package, I think a massive increase in compression would be the ticket for low end torque. You would of course have to have a ready supply of an acceptable fuel to do this. E-85 will support levels of 14.5:1 and possibly higher but gasoline becomes useless at that point so the infrastructure now dictates what is reasonable. C.R. is one of the reasons that diesel engines have great torque and economy. Also the higher C.R. will return some of the fuel economy lost because of E-85s lower energy content. After that GM has some really good heads that are resonably priced but again the 5.3l is limited because of the small bore. The L92 head for the money is a great value, makes 35-50 hp over other stock heads(all over 4000rpm) but dictates a min 4" bore or the valves will hit the cylinder bore top. Maybe 243 or LS6 heads will work on a 5.3 but would probably need to be milled to up the CR to 10.5-10.9 and then piston to valve clearance becomes critical. As you can see making power is more involved than just changing 1 part. You need to have a plan, collect all your parts and do the whole job as a system. Pretty much the way GM approaches an engine design. If you don't approach it the same way I think you will be disappointed with the result. If you think about it, the 5.3 is a pretty efficient engine already at 300hp. If you look back at the old gen1 smallblocks, a 300hp engine was considered a performance version and that was gross hp not net like ours are. If you go to GMPP website and use the virtual dyno you can get a good handle on what different parts will work and won't. Good luck on your quest for hp.

·
Registered
2007 gmc envoy_denali
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i will do my best and as long its LS1 base i should be fine , and fuel i use here is the 98 octane and thats work great with DOD , now i,m wondering if my engine GOT VVT with DOD or just DOD if any one knew anything plz let me know i send msg to GM and nothing yet

i,ve been told that 5.3L nerver came with VVT even 2007 up

·
Registered
2004 buick rainier
84 Posts
i will do my best and as long its LS1 base i should be fine , and fuel i use here is the 98 octane and thats work great with DOD , now i,m wondering if my engine GOT VVT with DOD or just DOD if any one knew anything plz let me know i send msg to GM and nothing yet

i,ve been told that 5.3L nerver came with VVT even 2007 up
The LH6 is basically a LS1 minus 20 cube inches. Also it uses LS6 style cylinder heads. Higher octane fuel does not make more power or give you better fuel economy the octane rating is the ability to resist pinging or spark knock due to high comp. or excessive advanced ignition timing.

·
Registered
2007 gmc envoy_denali
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
when i changed to 98 i felt the diffrence i can rum more on V4 for long distance on highways and timing retard could happen because high IAT or low octane when you prevented sure your have more power and ECM can advance the spark here temp rising up no 38 C but after two months its like hill so higher octane good for hot weather , also to get best milage , the range with full tank increase with higher octane ,, i will install the cam shaft and i will ask alvin to tune for me and will keep you updated , now 287 WHP

here i before and after
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elhYzyq6ETs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ov3sKYYeFUA&feature=related

·
Registered
2004 buick rainier
84 Posts
As mentioned before higher octane has no energy value. You have to use 98 octane because you monkeyed with your factory settings(tune).In a stock modern high comp.engine that requires only 87 octane, using higher octane you are wasting your money. A mild tune you run with 87 octane but once you go more, they recommend high octane.

·
Registered
2007 gmc envoy_denali
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
its not a waste man

1 dollar for gallon i know i can run 87 or 91 its depends on the tuner guy but if you got 10 hp with 87 retune with higher you get more so the power not for octane it self but it helps alot , even the engine is not shaking on P N

i tried both 95 and 98 and my choice is 98 because its recommanded for very hot weather country like mine

it doesnt matter what we said all its matter that we,re friends

·
Registered
2007 saab 9_7x
1 Posts
Just as a side note, it's easy to get confused when comparing octane ratings between different countries.

In the US, the advertised octane rating is the average of the Research Octane Number (RON) and Motor Octane Number (MON).

In many other countries, fuel is labeled only by the RON -- which typically runs about 10 points higher than the MON -- so "98 octane" (RON) in Kuwait is more like 92 octane on the R+M/2 scale.

I hope this helps clarify things a bit. Good luck with the cam!

·
Registered
2007 gmc envoy_denali
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thats totaly new info ,,, thanks man

what about the fuel colour , if you can help with that ,, in KSA 95 octane colour is red but here in kuwait 95 octane is yellow and 98 is green , i,m so confused about this

·
Registered
2007 gmc envoy_denali
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
about the cam i cancel it and put supercharger instead ,DOD engine when go for a cam you have to change alot of thing and alot of work , suercharger better and more power :)

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ss_3ss
12 Posts
amazing work bro ;)

seems to be that you are the only envoy denali V8 in kuwait, and i'm the only trailblazer ss in kuwait too ;) , Faisal dashti had tune my car too, by the way we have to meet and ngrb ;P, i dont see you much in el7ub or 9ab7an? garabt m3a a7d? shloon el procharger?

·
Registered
2007 gmc envoy_denali
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
3ad thak el yoom galle fisal ena sawalek tune in free zone , eshloon el kooks headers ? ana 6alebhom o bel 6ereeg inshalaa, ana adre ena mako ela SS wa7ed bel Q8 o yoom shareet el procharger yeet 3ala bali ,
ana maroo7 wayed sab7an bs after marat bel 7ob , o al7een 7arr `7obrek el moter yet3ab wayed , my no.55775799

see you soon

1 - 20 of 35 Posts