Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys I am ready for a cam. I have had my truck for about 6 hours:D . I signed papers after lunch.

What do you guys think on cam choices I have a few good ideas of my own but I was wondering who if anybody has done some testing. I want more midrange myself.

Also does the Vector tune lock your computer if not I will buy it if so I will not.

·
Registered
107 Posts
The LS2 at least in the C6/GTO comes with the same cam specs that the 2001 Z06 came with , not sure if the SS LS2 is any different , the key to making good power will be to match the cam specs to the characteristics of the truck intake that is used on SS LS2's , the intake is designed more for low to mid range so it won't make sense to put a cam in it that makes power way up top , with a cam , and headers we could probably pick up at least 40-50 RWHP , like the C6 LS2's are making .

·
Registered
2006 chevy
616 Posts
Vector will give you a tune locked or unlocked, your choice. They're great like that. :yes:

Contrary to what someone else has said, as far as a cam goes, I would not seek advice from car guys. We've got 1,500 lbs on a Vette or GTO, and also have the auto tranny to deal with.

You can do something just a little better than stock, like Lingenfelter's GT2-3 which specs out at 207/220, .580/.580, 118.5. This is a little better than stock in the duration department (204/211) and better in lift (.525/.525).

Comp has an old standby that lots of guys like - 212/218, .559/.563, 115. That will probably give you the right amount of high-end without losing low-end, requiring an aftermarket torque converter.

Then you could step up into the 220/220 region or higher, which will likely necessitate getting a new converter.

What are your goals? How will you be driving it? Will you ever tow with it?

·
Registered
107 Posts
TBSS said:
Vector will give you a tune locked or unlocked, your choice. They're great like that. :yes:

Contrary to what someone else has said, as far as a cam goes, I would not seek advice from car guys. We've got 1,500 lbs on a Vette or GTO, and also have the auto tranny to deal with.

You can do something just a little better than stock, like Lingenfelter's GT2-3 which specs out at 207/220, .580/.580, 118.5. This is a little better than stock in the duration department (204/211) and better in lift (.525/.525).

Comp has an old standby that lots of guys like - 212/218, .559/.563, 115. That will probably give you the right amount of high-end without losing low-end, requiring an aftermarket torque converter.

Then you could step up into the 220/220 region or higher, which will likely necessitate getting a new converter.

What are your goals? How will you be driving it? Will you ever tow with it?
:iagree: Well said .

·
Registered
212 Posts
check ls1tech there is more knowledge on lsx engines than anyother place i have seen. There are alot of considerations u need to think about b4 u cam it. What do u want out of ur tb i.e. towing, N/A, F.I, etc.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
STEALTH SS said:
The LS2 at least in the C6/GTO comes with the same cam specs that the 2001 Z06 came with , not sure if the SS LS2 is any different , the key to making good power will be to match the cam specs to the characteristics of the truck intake that is used on SS LS2's , the intake is designed more for low to mid range so it won't make sense to put a cam in it that makes power way up top , with a cam , and headers we could probably pick up at least 40-50 RWHP , like the C6 LS2's are making .
I have a few cams laying around. I thought about putting this one in what do you guys think 214.9/220.5 .598/.526 114.3 so the cam card says. I figure it would make about 30RWHP hopefully. I will let you know in a week or so.:D

I am going to strap my SS down today on my dyno and see what see pulls BONE STOCK and go from there.

·
Registered
38 Posts
From the article

"We ran six cams through the LS2 while it was on Katech’s dyno, including the stock cam that uses lobes identical to the ’01 LS6 and is ground on the same wide 116-degree lobe separation angle (LSA)."

I belive Katech ran their custom cam with the 01 ZO6 lobes ground on a 110 lobe sep.

·
Registered
2006 chevy
616 Posts
ludicrist said:
The LS2 uses it's own cam not the one out of the 01 LS6 they have different LSA's or ramps check here .
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/113_0504_ls2/index1.html

Go back to page one and read the article it's very informative :D

It is a good idea to speak with a cam manufacture to discuss weight,converter and tune .

The CTS-V is closer in weight but it has the T56 but it is closer then the gto and C6 .
Interesting article.

If you look at the results of the cam swaps on page 3 of the article, you can see how much low end you lose with a big cam. With the 226/226 cam, they lost literally 70-80 HP over the stock LS6 cams at 2000 RPM. They were still lower in both HP and TQ than the smaller cams at 4800 RPM. Not a big deal if you have a 3800 RPM stall converter that flashes to 4000 RPM or so, but with a stock torque converter you would cripple your TBSS below 3000 RPM or so.

What was most interesting to me was the gains they got by narrowing the LSA on the LS6 cams. Narrowing the '02 LS6 from 117 to 112 gained 15+ TQ at 2000 RPM, and narrowing the '01 LS6 from 110 gained another 15+ TQ over the '02 LS6. This increased power down low is not free, however, the sacrifice would likely be a choppier idle, which means people would know that you had a cam. Not good if you have a sharp dealer and want to keep your warranty coverage.

Good read, thanks. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2006 chevy
616 Posts
Vector MS said:
From the article

"We ran six cams through the LS2 while it was on Katech’s dyno, including the stock cam that uses lobes identical to the ’01 LS6 and is ground on the same wide 116-degree lobe separation angle (LSA)."

I belive Katech ran their custom cam with the 01 ZO6 lobes ground on a 110 lobe sep.
I think they did both.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The 01 ZO6 cam at the bottom of the page is a custom ground cam. GM could never get away with grinding a cam on a 110 deg sep. It would never pass cold/hot start up EPA testing.
The LS2 cam is the same duration, lift, lobe sep & part number as a 01 ZO6.
I actually have one in front of me!

·
Registered
2006 chevy
538 Posts
EvilTBSS said:
I have a few cams laying around. I thought about putting this one in what do you guys think 214.9/220.5 .598/.526 114.3 so the cam card says. I figure it would make about 30RWHP hopefully. I will let you know in a week or so.:D

I am going to strap my SS down today on my dyno and see what see pulls BONE STOCK and go from there.
With that kind of lift don't forget to upgrade the valve train. Your stock springs won't be very happy.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Here is some weird information about the cam.
The part number for the 01 ZO6 is 12560950. Katech measured that cam at 204/211 duration and .521" lift. GM advertised that cam at .525" lift, which is close enough.
GM performance parts sells the same part number with an advertised duration of 207/217 duration with .525" lift.
Also, if you order a LS2 cam the part number is 12574519 but the part number etched into the cam is 12560950. They probably changed the part number to tell LS6 or LS2.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts