Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Camshaft Position Sensor

48K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  chem_man 
#1 ·
I'm getting a check engine light stating the camshaft position sensor is malfunctioning on my '02 TB LTZ EXT 4WD. Looking for information regarding the consequences of this problem.

I'm guessing reduced fuel economy, but hoping to find more specific information.

#3 ·
p0014 code

Hello everyone,

What a great forum for problems, what I have is the p0014 coming up, I have replaced the cam sensor which wasn't the problem in the beginning but replaced it anyway and then once I found this site I found out about the cam position acuator and its location. I replaced it finding oil in the plug and some deposits on the screen but not alot, thought I had it cleared the code, my wife drove it for a day and the code come back again. The only thing that I didn't do is replace the plug and harness but I did clean the plug very well with contact cleaner.
If anyone would have any suggestions it would be great.

Thank you

#4 ·
Similar problem with P0340 code

Own a 2003 Envoy w/4.2l engine. Car stalled today while driving at low speed (wifey was driving and turning into a gas station). Happened 1-2x before at low speed. Engine light came on. I had a code checker and caught the P0340 code (Camshaft position sensor A- Bank 1 Circuit Malfunction), on an Actron Autoscanner. Now, I have looked at most of the posts. Asked AdvanceAuto about purchasing the camshaft position sensor. They said it was a dealer item. The Chevy dealer has them for about $45. But, my light is now gone, only lasted about 2 hours. A mechanic at the dealership(or some guy in the parts department-he had his hat on backwards...am I sterotyping? No offense intended), told me that most likely the camshaft actuator, aka, "phaser" is clogged or dirty and throwing the code, as well as causing it to stall. Now this is the part that is tucked behind the pump, left front side of the engine by the upper water hose correct? What is the secret for removing the connector without breaking it? Then after you get the pump out of the way and disconnect the mounting hardware for the actuator, does it have a key slot or something to align it when reinstalling? I have recently changed my thermostat and changed my oil. Other than that, no major maintenance that I am aware of. Also, can this code be related to a dirty throttle body intake? Sorry about the long post. Just need a little direction please.

#5 ·
Camshaft actuator OR camshaft position sensor??

Hey guys,

I've got an '04 Trailblazer 4200 with 85,000 miles. My check engine light is sporadically coming on, the idle is rough, and I've had it stall a few times. I've had the codes read a couple times - and I honestly don't remember the numbers - but I was told it was the camshaft actuator.

I've done some research on this and I'm getting confused... What is the actual difference between the camshaft actuator & the camshaft position sensor?

My understanding is the actuator is located on the front of the exhaust camshaft under the valve cover at the front of the engine. The camshaft position sensor is a cylinder about 3' long and 1' in diameter with a wiring harness connected to the end. It's located on the front passenger side of the head. It has the small inlet holes with mesh screens that get plugged with cruddy oil. ***Please correct me if I'm wrong!!***

Mark

#6 ·
p0301/p0340 code help

I have a 03 GMC Envoy, IT is giving me two codes a p0301 cylinder 1 misfire and a p0340 CMP Sensor Circuit Malfunction. I want to know if the misfire is being cause by the CMP sensor? Is this one problem or two? What do I do two Fix it? this all started after I installed a cheap power tune off of ebay. after it started running like crap I immediately un hooked the power tuner and reset the ECU. And I'm still getting these codes so im not sure if this is the problem or if it is something more. please help...

#10 ·
p0301/p0340 code help

I have a 03 GMC Envoy, IT is giving me two codes a p0301 cylinder 1 misfire and a p0340 CMP Sensor Circuit Malfunction. I want to know if the misfire is being cause by the CMP sensor? Is this one problem or two? What do I do two Fix it? this all started after I installed a cheap power tune off of ebay. after it started running like crap I immediately un hooked the power tuner and reset the ECU. And I'm still getting these codes so im not sure if this is the problem or if it is something more. please help...
2002 chevy trailblazer p0340 code

hi, i have a 2002 trailblazer with just over 200,000 miles i have change the camshaft position sensor and the actuator and i even changed the pigtail to the position sensor... i still have to code every time i start it after a drive... i have a code reader and delete the code, but come on at restart

does anyone have any other ideas that could help

thanks,
John
Did you figure out your trailblazer issue? Camshaft position sensor

#7 ·
2002 chevy trailblazer p0340 code

hi, i have a 2002 trailblazer with just over 200,000 miles i have change the camshaft position sensor and the actuator and i even changed the pigtail to the position sensor... i still have to code every time i start it after a drive... i have a code reader and delete the code, but come on at restart

does anyone have any other ideas that could help

thanks,
John

#11 ·
Welcome to the Forum!

NateF, if you are experience problems, please start a new thread and please include year, engine size, model, mileage and any and all (current & historical) OBDII codes. We are more than happy to assist you. Just as an FYI, the original thread goes back nearly 14 years, and no one ever bothered to answer any of the questions asked in this thread.

Regards & Good Luck!

#13 ·
Check the wires going into the connector on the Camshaft Position Sensor to make sure they are intact, then remove the connector from the sensor and check for oil or corrosion. If oil or corrosion are present clean the terminals and then plug the connector back in.

If that does not work then you might have a flaky camshaft position sensor and replacement might be warranted. If you do wind up replacing the camshaft position sensor, be sure and replace it with either an ACDelco, Delphi, or Standard Motor Products/BWD branded one. Stay away from the no-name generic ones or the parts stores "value line" ones.

Good Luck (and next time, please start a new thread)

Reactions: Morgstevenson
#15 ·
Glad to hear you got the problem solved! Thanks for the update.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.