Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know a lot of you like to camp,, saw this site and looked interesting. especially the tents like Roadie's Lots of stuff.
Some of the prices are out there ,But still nice to browse.

http://expeditionoffroad.com/camping_equipment/awnings_roof_top_tents

"NEW WARNING WHEN CAMPING ''

MONTANA DEPARTMENT OF FISH AND GAME ADVISORY ON BEARS

Helena Montana, January 31, 2008 - In light of the rising frequency of human/grizzly bear conflicts, the Montana Department of Fish and Game is advising hikers, hunters, and fishermen to take extra precautions and keep alert for bears while in the field. "We advise that outdoorsmen should wear noisy little bells on their clothing so as not to startle bears that aren't expecting them," a spokesman said. "We also advise outdoorsmen to carry pepper spray with them in case of an encounter with a bear".
It is also a good idea to watch out for fresh signs of bear activity. Outdoorsmen should recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear paw prints and scat.
A grizzly's paw is larger and its claws are longer than that of a black bear. Black bear scat contains lots of berries and squirrel fur. Grizzly bear scat has little bells in it and smells like pepper.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Arise, Oh zombie thread!

I'm gonna take this UP to March 8, 2020 if you don't mind!

I live in Montana - Hamilton to be exact.

I like to fish and having been a fisherman in The High Sierras of California, I like to at least overnight in the mountains.

But then I/we have to consider the bears!

This last winter, the bears may or may not have opted to hibernate as there were a few sightings all 'winter' long and lots of bear poop (scat) all around where I like to fish on the banks of the Bitterroot River.

This past week, I fished all along the main Bitterroot and the West Fork. I feel they, for the most part, stayed up all winter.

I recently saw a LOT of bear poop all over the places where I like to fish. And it's no wonder we only saw a few elk and deer in our fields around my house. The bears kept them away because they were awake and "prowlin' and a-growlin' and a-sniffin' the air" ! {for all the Millennials out there - that's the lyrics from the "Smokey The Bear' theme song}

But I digress........................

OK - so I just got a nice 10' slide-in camper in pretty good shape and since I have a set of axles and hubs, springs and such - I can just mount it on a frame and tow it to where I want. I also have a 2005 EXT TB with the I-6.

I like the idea of a 'firm' wall between me and the highest level carnivore in the woods - me being the highest, but only in town. I feel any crunching and snapping of sidewalls in a camper would give me adequate time to grab my Glock 10mm, and defend myself.

So ---> yeah --- the black bears are gonna eat you if they attack you - it's their mission in life! They will also let you watch as they eat your liver. I've already had 4 bad bear situations that went well for me - but since I sneak up on trout, I also find I sneak up on bears.

I bet this year will be THE ONE that has me in the headlines of the local birdcage liner, and I won't shed a tear if I win.

FWIW ---> THE BEARS IN MONTANA ARE OUT AND THEY ARE VERY HUNGRY!!!!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts