Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle_xl
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to purchase a new camper. I'm not sure what to get so I thought I'd throw out a question for opinions on what's out there. I used to have an awesome 31' Airstream, it was huge, big rooms. Unfortunately it's way to heavy for the Envoy to tow so I sold it. I'd like to pick up something smaller, ~19'-23' I personally would like to find a normal self contained with a seperate bed. I've been looking at the hybrids with the pop-up like front and back, my only issue is sleeping in them would be tend like. Which defeats the purpose of a camper, and if it's storming it probably wouldn't be pleasant. I won't use it for long peroids of time, just a few weekends a month for the season. I don't need a lot of space, so I don't need one with four seperate bedrooms! The only thing I definately don't want is a pop-up. I bought a P3 brake controller to install this weekend. I'm going on vacation next week so I'll probably be buying something this weekend!

What do you think? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle_xl
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How do you like that, I never really considered one of those as I'm lazy and would like to just pull up and open the door. I'm also afraid of it falling on my head!

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
967 Posts
I personally would never have given up the Airstream. I would have gotten a bigger truck. But that's me.

We have a hybrid. If you like sleeping in tents and pop-up campers, and you like the outdoor noises at night, a hybrid is for you. If you have never slept in a tent or pop-up, then you may want to consider a regular TT. We have slept in ours many nights during storms and it is not at all unpleasant. The bunk ends are completely vinyl also, so there is not a lot of issues with packing up wet. I usually just take a towel to them to dry them off. Setup is pretty easy, especially with the newer models, as they no longer use poles to hold the bunk ends up. We wouldn't have it any other way. Ours is 6 years old and we plan to keep it a minimum of 15 years.

You're buying something this weekend? I take it you've been looking and have in mind what you want? All I'm saying is don't impulse buy something like this.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle_xl
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The airstream was the best I've ever seen, I would use my mom's truck to tow it so that wasn't the issue. It was heavy though, towed great, was spacious, not to mention awesome! I sold it to buy a house, so I think it was a good trade! Well maybe not since my house is still on the market!

I've slept in plenty of tents, I just dislike sleeping on the ground, the dampness, having nowhere to go when it rains, and all the setup. It's nice just to have everything pre-packed and ready to tow away! I never thought of hearing the outdoor noises in a hybrid. That changes my mind a bit, bc that is one of the best things about camping! I never stay in a developed campground, it's much more fun just to pull up into the woods somewhere. I'm about 2-5 hrs (depending on which house I'm at) from a national forest that has the dispersed sites....which are great!

I have been looking to get a smaller one towable by the envoy since I sold the last one, I know what I'd like but there's so many to pick from! It probably will just be an impulse buy so I can get one and get it over with!

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
695 Posts
We have an Outback (26RS). It has a slide out queen bunk at the rear but it's hard sided rather than canvas/vinyl. After years in a pop up we wanted to get away from the leaks and mildew smell. This isn't ours but it's similar.

The manufacturer's home page is at http://keystone-outback.com/index.php. But best of all they have a great owners' forum that is almost as great as TrailVoy.com at http://www.outbackers.com.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.