• I'm not interested in a CAI

Votes: 46 6.6%

• Total voters
121 - 140 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle
4 Posts
I didn't see anything commercially available that I thought was worthwhile or worth the cost anyway, so I made my own. I measured the before and after intake air temperatures (which is something I have not seen any of the CAI makers state in their claims) with my Carchip data recorder, and it reduced the intake air temperatures from sometimes over 140° to typically no more than about 10° over ambient temp. It upshifts at lower RPMs and stays in 4th OD on the highway much better too.
understandable if it's your secret to rise above the rest and don't want to share, but if you really don't mind, i am curious to know how you went about making your own set up?
just a pipe, couple fittings and mounts and filter??
what material pipe did u use?

i agree, i think we all would like to see some pics!
:iagree: :thx

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_ss_3ss
42 Posts
CAI in Michigan

I had been doing some research AND wanted to support local Michigan businesses so I chose Cold Air Inductions out of Memphis MI.

Most to the gains from adding a CAI are the same, from the $15 ebay CAI to the $300 CAI's. We did some direct comparisions when I had my Magnum with 3 different CAI systems the cheapies to the expensive. We data logged the performance and it was so small there was really no sense in spending huge dollars on the name brand stuff. if you are NOT racing or trying to make a show quality vehicle, get the least expensive CAI you can get. You will NOT see a difference.

Heres mine, I chose it ONLY because I liked the look and powdercoated. I dont believe I would have seen any difference in Volant, K&N or AirRaid systems, even though they all say theirs is better.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle
4 Posts
resonator box restriction?

sorry, im a noob.

i have heard that the stock resonator box still limits the optimal output you might be able to gain by installing a CAI.
is there truth to this?

also, if it is the case, and there is a significant difference, how are people modifying the resonator box to help?

im planning to do Airaid CAI and Airaid TBS so far on a 4.2L.

any help is appreciated. im not looking to make a major street machine by any means. just gain a little snap, HP and if im lucky enough to gain a few MPGs, thats great too.

thanks. :hail:

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle
4 Posts
how bout name brand TBS?

I had been doing some research AND wanted to support local Michigan businesses so I chose Cold Air Inductions out of Memphis MI.

Most to the gains from adding a CAI are the same, from the $15 ebay CAI to the $300 CAI's. We did some direct comparisions when I had my Magnum with 3 different CAI systems the cheapies to the expensive. We data logged the performance and it was so small there was really no sense in spending huge dollars on the name brand stuff. if you are NOT racing or trying to make a show quality vehicle, get the least expensive CAI you can get. You will NOT see a difference.

Heres mine, I chose it ONLY because I liked the look and powdercoated. I dont believe I would have seen any difference in Volant, K&N or AirRaid systems, even though they all say theirs is better.
have you noticed a big difference in name branded Throttle Body Spacers by chance? Cheap vs expensive? just curious.

thanks

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_ss_3ss
42 Posts
Never did any testing but...

The general consensus is that throttle body spacers just dont work. I know, I know, some people have had good luck with them but in my experience they provide little no increase in HP and can add more restriction than help. If you are going to do something, save the dough and put it toward a tune and CAI to see the most improvement in HP. Many have used handheld tuners and have great success, increased MPG and made it peppy'er!

Typically if you order a CAI package, they use their own box or just dont use one at all. The idea behind CAI's are getting more cold air into the engine. With that said, while the engine is running AND producing heat, there is only so much "cold air" available under the hood. Some people make their own CAI systems which will work well if done correctly. Some place the filter outside the engine bay to get the maximum cold air intake (FWI = Fender Well Intake)

What I have seen in the past with CAI's is you get a nice sound from under the hood (sucking :x) and a slight increase in HP, nothing dramatic though. If you are not racing or "showing" find a CAI on ebay that is inexpensive as they will work AS WELL as the Name brand. (Filter, TUBE + air thru it = HP) Tubes are tubes and for the most part filters are filters. Keep them clean and they will perform for many, many miles. If you want to splurge, get a K&N filter at your local auto parts store that fits your intake tube.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
112 Posts
No C.A.I here. Not a ricer. Just removed junk paper filter and ran wiremesh k&n copy filter. Swiss cheese airbox and capped the mystory hole on the intake pipe.

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_sle
142 Posts
No C.A.I here. Not a ricer. Just removed junk paper filter and ran wiremesh k&n copy filter. Swiss cheese airbox and capped the mystory hole on the intake pipe.
Oiled K&N type filters are not good for the engine...you are probably better off with "junk paper filter".

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
112 Posts
Oiled K&N type filters are not good for the engine...you are probably better off with "junk paper filter".
Your right. I oil the outside only. And it is still covered by the black case. But it is true paper is better. I donot drive on dirt. Pavement only.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
20 Posts
A lot of people have complained about the sounds from an intake that removes the resonator, Airaid and Volant are two major brands that I know of that you must keep it installed, therefore cutting down on the sound a lot.
You are spending money on replacing the OE equipment that came with your car why Frankenstein it?:confused: Honestly if you can hear the air under the hood you stereo isn't turned up enough or you need to do the exhaust. One way or another your window is down.

I got the K&N 57 on it's way now and this is the second car I have picked up the FIPK series for and couldn't be happier. As far as if I'm sucking air from the engine or from the cold outside I ask this:

If you drive in a river does it die? Your not truly getting the outside without a snorkel airtight boxes come from somewhere and unless you want to relocate (I saw one hell of an install where they put it in a truck's tool box, now that's cold air) it all comes from the same place.
And if you relocate the air box you might as well put the radiator on the rear bumper cause that's going to bring you down at least 20 degrees.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_3ss
3 Posts
I bought one from chrome intakes on ebay. The finish is terrible, if you look at it wrong it gets scratched. And no matter how much you polish it it never gets real shiny. I had to go out and buy more parts to attach the air injection hose. The instructions they sent with it were terrible, and they basically have no customer service. In other words, don't buy from them. Oh, and I had to rig up a bracket to hold it down. On a positive note my SOTP meter does seem to show an increase off the line. I don't keep track of mileage so I'm not sure if there is any improvement there. Here are a couple pictures of it.

SWEET!! Nice HOT AIR INTAKE:weird:

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
3 Posts
I have heard good things about the Airaid too, but I am very happy with my Volant.

FYI: The Volant DOES have the hookup that you are looking for on every model, for the trucks that don't have that hose (like mine), there is a cap that goes over that connection.

A lot of people have complained about the sounds from an intake that removes the resonator, Airaid and Volant are two major brands that I know of that you must keep it installed, therefore cutting down on the sound a lot.
Im thinking of getting an intake now:)

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
19 Posts
Installed

I just installed the K&N 57 series cold air intake kit, replacing just the K&N filter on the stock set up. I took it around the block to see if i could notice anything new and I could already tell a difference. :woohoo:

Attachments

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_1ss
33 Posts
cai

i installed a k&n fipk 57 series which was about 270 it iz gr8t the only prob with the intakes on accelration the ckeng lite comes on so usually i have to clear it out now jus waiting to do the borla catback and electric fan:cool:

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
15 Posts
I had the k&n intake, nice throaty sound under acceleration. Went back to stock with a k&n drop in but drilled a few 1/2" holes on the front of the lid to scoop in a small bit of cold air. (I have the SS Grill) Sunds a bit louder than stock.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
37 Posts
Made my own with a buddy and a 12 pack the other day. We used about 2 feet of 3" PVC pipe cut into two different sections, a 45 degree elbow and a couple of 3" flexible rubber coupleings. I was able to reuse the housing for the MAF sensor, dropped in a K&N and kept the old air box. Removed the silencer on top of the motor and plastic welded a cover for the airbox sensor. Also cut a 5" hole in the front of the airbox cover.

Damn thing sounds like a bass boat screaming across the lake. Performance results are negligible. Bottom end of RPM range feels peppier, but top end still feels sluggish as hell.

Pics to come as soon as I take em.

·
Banned
2009 saab
138 Posts
I went with the K&N 63 Series intake. I have used K&N intakes on all of my vehicles and thats why I went with them for my TB. K&N has been around for years and intakes is what they do, so why not go with the best.

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
15 Posts
Custom intake with 3 inch pipe and stock maf housing. Only cost me 40 bucks. Still need to clean it up alittle and paint it and get a k&n filter and it will be good to go. What yall think ?

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
1 Posts
As my name suggests this is my first blazer and my first chevy product. That being said Id like rrecommendationsfor the best pperformance CAI. Stock i6 4.2ltr engine ty

121 - 140 of 141 Posts