Votes: 46 6.6%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Banned
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_1ss
5,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Please tell us which intake setup you have, and why you chose the brand that you did. If you don't have one, but intend to purchase one in the future, please explain which one you are most interested in and why?

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
3,219 Posts
I bought the airaid because i've heard a lot of good things. Price was another issue. It was fairly inexpensive compared to some of the others. Of course now i'm leaning on switching it with the Volant.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
19 Posts
Don't have one yet, but I am leaning towards the Airaid. From what I've seen so far it seems to be the only one that has already incorporated the air injection hose on the 2005's. I know the K&N has instructions to do it yourself, but I like the fact that I don't have to go around drilling holes and cutting hoses to install the Airaid.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xl
13 Posts
I went with the AirAid so I could keep the silencer and the install was just too easy to pass up. Also more folks had the AirAid and I was able to get more personal experience recomendations over the others. I had my eye on the K&N 77 series but someone said it was loud (actually I believe his wife said it was loud :) )

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_denali
9,380 Posts
Afoon said:
I went with the AirAid so I could keep the silencer and the install was just too easy to pass up. Also more folks had the AirAid and I was able to get more personal experience recomendations over the others. I had my eye on the K&N 77 series but someone said it was loud (actually I believe his wife said it was loud :) )
Read on FSC.com that a user of the K&N 77 series said the chrome tube got real hot after awhile. No cold air from a hot tube. :worried:

·
Banned
5,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
deathbynosleep said:
I bought the airaid because i've heard a lot of good things. Price was another issue. It was fairly inexpensive compared to some of the others. Of course now i'm leaning on switching it with the Volant.
I have heard good things about the Airaid too, but I am very happy with my Volant.

nyskinsfan56 said:
Don't have one yet, but I am leaning towards the Airaid. From what I've seen so far it seems to be the only one that has already incorporated the air injection hose on the 2005's. I know the K&N has instructions to do it yourself, but I like the fact that I don't have to go around drilling holes and cutting hoses to install the Airaid.
FYI: The Volant DOES have the hookup that you are looking for on every model, for the trucks that don't have that hose (like mine), there is a cap that goes over that connection.

Afoon said:
A lot of people have complained about the sounds from an intake that removes the resonator, Airaid and Volant are two major brands that I know of that you must keep it installed, therefore cutting down on the sound a lot.

·
Banned
5,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone else?

This information is very helpful to those who are researching a CAI, is there anyone else out there that has an opinion on the CAI's?

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
2,217 Posts
I didn't see anything commercially available that I thought was worthwhile or worth the cost anyway, so I made my own. I measured the before and after intake air temperatures (which is something I have not seen any of the CAI makers state in their claims) with my Carchip data recorder, and it reduced the intake air temperatures from sometimes over 140° to typically no more than about 10° over ambient temp. It upshifts at lower RPMs and stays in 4th OD on the highway much better too.

·
Registered
872 Posts
tblazed said:
I didn't see anything commercially available that I thought was worthwhile or worth the cost anyway, so I made my own. I measured the before and after intake air temperatures (which is something I have not seen any of the CAI makers state in their claims) with my Carchip data recorder, and it reduced the intake air temperatures from sometimes over 140° to typically no more than about 10° over ambient temp. It upshifts at lower RPMs and stays in 4th OD on the highway much better too.

Got pics? I'm sure there are a lot of people who might be interested in what you did.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
2,903 Posts
Jman423 said:
This information is very helpful to those who are researching a CAI, is there anyone else out there that has an opinion on the CAI's?
I have an opinion... I just don't have a CAI yet... :laugh:

FWIW, I'm gonna get a Volant when I do get one...

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I bought a used air filter box for $10 to keep the old one just in case. With a Dremel tool and cutting wheel, I opened up the air filter box. Closed the hole I made in it with a piece of aluminum, held in place with two screws. The baffle that is made from rubberized PVC foam ( from an ACE hardware store) goes all the way to the back of the radiator support to seal off as much hot underhood air as possible. On '03s and newer that do not have the top plastic trim piece, the baffle can be extended across the top of the air filter box. I added a Green Filter for a little better breathing. (I have both a K&N and a Green filter. I think the Green filter is made better and should catch smaller dust particles because of the type of filter media they use.)

It gets all intake air from around the headlight, various existing holes, and a long gap underneath trhe headhight ass'y. Works great!

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
I originally wanted the Volant especially at the recommendation of my local custom guy. However, they didn't have one for the V8 at the time. I went with the K & N instead b/c I had one on my Grand Prix with no problems.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Here are some real results I measured before and after my COLD air intake mod. This was measured while driving in city traffic. Notice both charts start out just under 100°, but the one before the mods is already over 140° before 20 min. After my cold air mod, the temperature stabilizes about 110° and rarely ever gets up to 120° even in stopped traffic. This is measuring the Intake Air Temperature via the OBD2 port with my Carchip EX..

Before air box and baffle mods "Stock"

After the air box mod and added baffle to block engine heat

·
Registered
872 Posts
I bought one from chrome intakes on ebay. The finish is terrible, if you look at it wrong it gets scratched. And no matter how much you polish it it never gets real shiny. I had to go out and buy more parts to attach the air injection hose. The instructions they sent with it were terrible, and they basically have no customer service. In other words, don't buy from them. Oh, and I had to rig up a bracket to hold it down. On a positive note my SOTP meter does seem to show an increase off the line. I don't keep track of mileage so I'm not sure if there is any improvement there. Here are a couple pictures of it.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_denali
9,380 Posts
OurZoo said:
I originally wanted the Volant especially at the recommendation of my local custom guy. However, they didn't have one for the V8 at the time. I went with the K & N instead b/c I had one on my Grand Prix with no problems.
Which K&N did you get? :undecided

·
Registered
414 Posts
I agree with Envoy Fan, keep the metal tubes out of any CAI you select. I am very happy with my Airaid. Nearly any performance filter will show gains over the stock element. I would recommend replacing the corrugated tube between the filter and the throttle body with something smooth.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,708 Posts
I have been using K&N for a number of years and was always happy. So when I got the TB I went K&N 57series. Although I am going to build a better box.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Volant Has A Better IAT!

:m2: The Volant being a sealed intake, and about the same numbers for increase in horsepower is the best bet. Mine is in it's way. Which ever way you go, the Trailvoy's need an intake. I fabricated my stock airbox for the time being, and it helped out quite a bit.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
319 Posts
I went with the TRUE FLOW because it was $90 at a store in orange county,ca. I cant complaint and it sounds great.

1 - 20 of 141 Posts