Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

21 - 40 of 302 Posts

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
I am flabbergasted that it's taken until the 9-year production run ENDED for somebody to discover this hidden hatch. :confused:

Evil designers. :hissy:

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_ls
63 Posts
:iagree: I'm willing to bet GM originally designed it to have the filters but probably scrapped the idea at the last minute to cut costs.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,433 Posts
Perhaps I'm stupid, but I've never had a vehicle with a cabin filter, so I have excuse :laugh: What's the point of the cabin filter aside from reducing dust inside the ductwork? Do they somehow filter out dead critter odors from carcasses by the roadway or something?

·
Premium Member
2006 gmc envoy_denali
861 Posts
Perhaps I'm stupid, but I've never had a vehicle with a cabin filter, so I have excuse :laugh: What's the point of the cabin filter aside from reducing dust inside the ductwork? Do they somehow filter out dead critter odors from carcasses by the roadway or something?
Perhaps that and pollen, dust and air borne small particulates. Although passing over a skunk on the road may not be a reason to attempt warranty work at the dealer. :undecided:undecided

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
What's the point of the cabin filter?
Did you watch that video changing out the filter in a Silverado and see how much crap came out? Have you ever had to disassemble half the front-end of a car or truck to clean a clogged evaporator core? Do they use sand, magnesium chloride and/or salt on roads where you drive? That stuff blowing in my face sets off my sinuses for days afterward...

I am definitely looking forward to installing cabin air filters in my TB!

·
Banned
chevy
1,091 Posts
:excited:

Someone buy this guy a beer.

The idea of being on a dusty trail and NOT having my entire interior coated with said dust just made my day.

·
Banned
chevy
1,091 Posts
Confirmed this works today.

I used Microguard part number MG3012 for an 00 Silverado.

Super easy to install.

1. Remove passenger side kick panel (2 7mm bolts) then pull outwards and disconnect the wiring harness that's tied to the panel.
2. Look up under dash and remove 1 brass colored bolt (5.5mm) on rectangular door. Then pull dooor downwards a bit and towards the firewall to remove.
3. Stuff filters in, they go in snug but not tight like an engine air filter.
4. Reassemble.

Major props to Bass for finding this well kept secret!

·
Banned
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
767 Posts
I am definitely going to check mine out this weekend. I know it should be the same for the 06's and newer but we know they could have changed that as well.

Fish - thanks for the write-up for the installation. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
940 Posts
I am flabbergasted that it's taken until the 9-year production run ENDED for somebody to discover this hidden hatch. :confused:

Evil designers. :hissy:
You're the one who took the entire dash apart just to put in a passenger grab handle. Are you sure you didn't see it then?

The idea of being on a dusty trail and NOT having my entire interior coated with said dust just made my day.
I usually have my windows open, so it won't help.

·
Registered
46 Posts
ACDelco part Number CF104 Just finished putting them in.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Need to do this for dust and can't hurt to keep pollen and junk out of the sinuses.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
559 Posts
:thumbsup: For finding this! Thanks alot. Ill take a video of mine when i get my truck back from the tranny shop

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
161 Posts
Not easy enough to make it an option?

Maybe it wasn't an option because it wouldn't be easy enough to change. My Venture :eek: only required you to open the glove box and then a panel in the glove box. No tools required. But for anyone who wants a filter bad enough, no problem. Hey, maybe it will keep the mice out of the fan cage too.

Confirmed this works today.

I used Microguard part number MG3012 for an 00 Silverado.

Super easy to install.

1. Remove passenger side kick panel (2 7mm bolts) then pull outwards and disconnect the wiring harness that's tied to the panel.
2. Look up under dash and remove 1 brass colored bolt (5.5mm) on rectangular door. Then pull dooor downwards a bit and towards the firewall to remove.
3. Stuff filters in, they go in snug but not tight like an engine air filter.
4. Reassemble.

Major props to Bass for finding this well kept secret!

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Maybe it wasn't an option because it wouldn't be easy enough to change. My Venture :eek: only required you to open the glove box and then a panel in the glove box. No tools required. But for anyone who wants a filter bad enough, no problem. Hey, maybe it will keep the mice out of the fan cage too.
If you watch the video that was posted in an earlier thread it is not an easy change on the Silverado. In fact, it looks like there are more bolts to take out on the Silverado's access panel than on our's just to get to it.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,329 Posts
Did your truck have a little door or did you have to cut out plastic piece. Bc my 04 LS appears it needs cut out. Thanks
It seems like it may just be a really tight fitting panel that "should" pop off... here's a pic of mine, wish it had a bolt like the silverado, but if this panel pops off, I'll figure something out... if not, I'll just cut it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Here's what mine looks like on my 2002 from the glove box opening. I have the separate door with a screw. :thx

Attachments

21 - 40 of 302 Posts