Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

281 - 300 of 302 Posts

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle
51 Posts
Cabin filter 2004 GMC envoy

Completed this "mod" today on our 06 TB....... Cut out the opening with a utility knife.....heated the blade to make it easier to cut...... the section that gets cut out has a raised edge around it......this helps the cut stay straight....The evap was a little dirty so I used some No-Rinse evap cleaner on it..... I picked up a door/cover at the junkyard while I was there looking for parts for a car I was working on.... In the pic is the piece that was cut out and the cleaner I used....

I have 5 of the filter doors and screws that I will sell if anybody is interested....

I need some advice I was able to cut out the little door underneath the dash now that I can see the filter how can I pop this thing out. I look behind the glove compartment and didn't see any kind of door there to get to the filter. I only see one filter in there the little door underneath . The door underneath is too small to get the filter out any advice from anybody would be a big help. Richard

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle
51 Posts
2004 GMC envoy cabin filter

need some advice I was able to cut out the little door underneath the dash now that I can see the filter how can I pop this thing out. I look behind the glove compartment and didn't see any kind of door there to get to the filter. I only see one filter in there the little door underneath . The door underneath is too small to get the filter out any advice from anybody would be a big help. Richard

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle
51 Posts
2004 envoy cabin air filter

I'm starting to wonder if I have any in there I see a filter that is stabilized against the wall of the entry. I wonder what that is. It doesn't look like it made to be removed if that is true can somebody please tell me Richardr

·
Registered
non_gmt360 trailblazer_lt_ext
241 Posts
I'm starting to wonder if I have any in there I see a filter that is stabilized against the wall of the entry. I wonder what that is. It doesn't look like it made to be removed if that is true can somebody please tell me Richardr
04's did not come with a filter from the factory. In fact they didn't even,come with the door for the filter.

Upon reading your last post you say u cut the door out, but see the filter?? There wouldn't be a filter if you had to cut the door out. I imagine what your seeing is the a.c. coils..

To put a filter in anything newer than 03, you have to cut the plastic where the door is supposed to go, then either find a door from an 02,03. Or there is a guy over on g m t n a t I o n .com that is 3d printing the doors, then you would need a screw to secure the door also. They actually take 2 filters, ones from 99-02 silverados fit perfectly..

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
39 Posts
I just installed the cabin air filters in my 2005 LS. Like most of us doing this, the cut off was 2003 for the factory installed access door. I was able to find a several and still have a few I can part with if needed. For those looking to do this project you will need a few things. Good filters and access door with fastener to start. I used the Fram filters with arm and hammer. I used a 1" wood / paddle drill bit to put a hole in the center of the dummy cover / knock-out plate. The drill is no where near any components so there is little worry. I used a 1/4 end mill in a cordless drill to cut away the rectangle shape needed. This worked well, the new end mill (these are not very expensive. Shars.com and they are reusable for other projects) is sharp and meant for steel so it cut away the plastic in no time. I used a good sturdy razor knife to dress the cut and take off all the remaining rough cut. That was it. If you have a small vacuum, using it to get the plastic and any other debris that is lodged in air box is a good idea. I swept mine out with fingers and seem to have gotten it clean. Checked for leaves and the the fins all looked good. Install filters paying mind to the direction of airflow. Installed the door and tested. I personally did not notice any drop in air flow. I did notice that if the ac starts I get no smell from the vent on start up, nor does it smell when I'm stuck behind trucks and such also. I can post pictures if it help others attempting this and am not opposed to helping out with messages or such.

·
Registered
2005 chevy
23 Posts
I can post pictures if it help others attempting this and am not opposed to helping out with messages or such.
I just joined this site and this is the first mod I want to do on my '05 LT. would you mind posting a few pictures of where exactly you cut? I took off the plate with the 2 bolts under the dash, but I still have no idea where it is that I'm supposed to make the cuts. Thank you.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sure I will snap a few pictures tomorrow when there is more light out since this is under the passenger side of the dashboard. In the mean time you will need the access door and screw. Under the pass side dash there is a black plastic cover. That needs to be removed. Then you will see the under side of the air box. It will be right next to the hump in the floor. You will see a circular post that protrudes from the box facing the floor board. It will have a hole in it, this is the post that the fastener screw will thread into. That should be closest to the firewall. The other end closer to the backside of the glove box will have a small plastic cut out in the shape of a rectangle, this is the tongue end, and the access door will slide one end into the rectangle cut out and then the screw goes into the post end. Now the fun part, cutting up the air box. If you look between the post and the tongue latch you will see a rectangle that runs length wise with the length of the length of the vehicle. A flashlight might help. Also on mine I was able to feel a slight difference in the plastic like the rectangle was raised up by. 025 of a inch or so. That gets cut away. Keep in mind you want to try to cut on the line so the gasket on the door seals up. If the cut is rough and not "pretty", no ones going to know but you. The filters slide up in (length running top to bottom of the vehicle) and to the firewall once the opening is correct. Once the filters are in you can install the door and fastener.

That's the walk through. I will post pictures tomorrow.

·
Registered
39 Posts
And here are the pictures you can see the cut in the one pic. I used a 3/8 mill drill a little rough but it works.

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 chevy
23 Posts
Thank you for taking the time to upload those pictures. The 3rd one is exactly what I was looking for. Now once I locate that, the rest is all cutting. Hopefully I can find a door, I'm really not trying to pay $27 for a .50 piece of plastic. If not, duct tape will work. Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sure not a problem. Best advice I could give here out is try a junk yard. You want a early 2000s model TB. Pull the plastic kick panel and then look for the screw and cover door. Probably 5$ish and then you can see the cut out and get a better idea of what your cutting. That's not a area you want to chance.

·
Registered
2005 chevy
23 Posts
I found the spot thanks to your pictures. But there's no way I have the patience to lie on my back cutting straight up like that. I'll just pay some one a few bucks to do it it for me. Is it even worth the hassle though in the long run?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I think it is, but I live in a area where there are some farms and I tend to have some slight allergies. A charcoal filter helps vastly with that. Also can help with slight oder on a/c start ups. Then if you park around a lot of trees it can help to not clog the airbox up. As far as patience I can say this, I did it the hard way. I used what I had and just jumped in. If I would have planned this out I would have found a saw blade made for harder abs plastic. Even could have looked at hot knives and stuff. At that point drill a hole at near all 4 corners and basically connect the dots.

·
Registered
2005 gmc
17 Posts
Just did the mod to my 2005 Envoy. I noticed the directions state to use a 5.5 mm socket for the cover screw. I have a decent set of tools, but I don't have half millimeter sockets. The 7/32" socket worked great for me.

HTH,
Brad

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
55 Posts
Caf update

I know that this is an old thread... But I just came across it while looking up the replacement procedure for the AC blower resistor replacement (which went perfectly, by the way!) Advance Auto or Car Quest has the activated charcoal filters in stock. Carquest part # 90006CT.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
117 Posts
Just added the filters, took 10 minutes. Wish I had done this years ago.

·
Read Only
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
0 Posts
I did that and ordered a Fram FCF8791A from Amazon. The question and answers sections said that it came as a 2 filter package and fits a 2001 Silverado. It came as 1 filter and was WAY too big. I returned it. I think that maybe I should buy it locally so that doesn't happen again.

281 - 300 of 302 Posts