Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

261 - 280 of 302 Posts

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
4 Posts
Nice thread

Ok.. I am newer to this forum and recently purchased used 2004 envoy, with high mileage! So anyways I have read every single post in this thread and know what I got to do but one thing I may ask, being that many of you have had this mod done for quite sometime, what's a good benchmark for changing these filters out? Of course everywhere has different quality of air and such but on average perhaps one can inform me.. Thanks and ps love the forum

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
1,044 Posts
I check mine every 3 months then use a Shop Vac to clean debris. Some say that's cheap, others say, "hey, that's a few more bucks for petrol."

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
4 Posts
I check mine every 3 months then use a Shop Vac to clean debris. Some say that's cheap, others say, "hey, that's a few more bucks for petrol."
Yeah probably exactly what i would do too!! Thanks for your input, I appreciate it! It's similar to the filters in my vacuum I use shop vac on them, and they recommend to change every 3 months, I get a good year out of them!!:laugh:Cheers!

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt_xl
27 Posts
AC Delco CF104 fits perfectly!

I have installed 2 filters (AC Delco CF104) and that thing is a sure fit!
Thank you for your discovery and all! I now can breathe a fresher air together with passengers and most esp. my 4 mo. old baby.
Have a great weekend y'all!
Many thanks again, Mr. discoverer!:thx

·
Banned
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
51 Posts
Hey guys great write up for the cabin filter, I have an 03 ext, and was wondering about a filter for the rear climate control. I know in a semi they have separate filters for front/rear. Does anyone know about the ext tb's?

Sent from DROID RAZR MAXX HD

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
27 Posts
I dont know for sure but it would seem that the rear unit would not have one since the front would have already filtered the air coming in. My 02 LS has the door for the filters and its the same as a 02 Suburban that I had. The filters were discontinued due to people not knowing they were in there and a big reduction in air flow when they got clogged. Routine maintainence is 12k miles or yearly.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2009 gmc envoy_slt
153 Posts
Probably discontinued by GM accountants for cost cutting too. CAFs are pretty standard equipment in newer vehicles and since most people don't DIY, it is a cash cow for maintenance places. I've heard of people wondering why they get so dirty because every time they take the vehicle in for service somehow it "needs" a new CAF. I put one in my 09 Envoy and it doesn't really get too dirty. It works well.

·
Registered
2007 isuzu ascender
4 Posts
Got it yesterday

I found a 02 trailblazer at pick your part in Anaheim. Of corse it was there due to a front end collision not a break down. I installed it in my ascender today at work. :)

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
2 Posts
2006 trailblazer cabin filter door photo

If you watch the video that was posted in an earlier thread it is not an easy change on the Silverado. In fact, it looks like there are more bolts to take out on the Silverado's access panel than on our's just to get to it.
It seems like it may just be a really tight fitting panel that "should" pop off... here's a pic of mine, wish it had a bolt like the silverado, but if this panel pops off, I'll figure something out... if not, I'll just cut it.
orbjunkie was that a pop off lid or did you end up "cutting out', I have filters from dealership but no installatio instructions..thanks...O junkie:bonk:

·
Registered
2007 gmc envoy_denali
36 Posts
If your truck is newer than 03 you'll most likely need to cut the hole out. Mine looked like it had a piece that should pop off, but it didn't. Had to cut it.
I tried heating my razor with a torch but that wasn't going as well as I wanted so I just kept scoring it over and over and eventually turned out to be a pretty clean cut hole.

·
Registered
2007 gmc envoy_denali
36 Posts
A huge THANK YOU..., any issues with blower motor straining?:thx:thx
Nope. I have a pretty high attention to detail especially when it comes to my cars. I have not noticed anything different in air flow.

Technically blocking the flow of air lowers the strain on a blower.

Think of a shop vac... when you put your hand over the hose and the motor gets louder; it is actually doing less work and amp draw goes down because it is not pushing any air; it is operating in a "vacuum".

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
15 Posts
When I bought my 03 it had a filter installed in there. Not sure of the item number but I replaced it since it was black. I was probably sucking in mold for awhile before I discovered it and changed it out.

·
Registered
gmc envoy_slt_xl
18 Posts
Technically blocking the flow of air lowers the strain on a blower.

Think of a shop vac... when you put your hand over the hose and the motor gets louder; it is actually doing less work and amp draw goes down because it is not pushing any air; it is operating in a "vacuum".
Not quite.... Air flow is down and there is an increased vacuum(lower pressure) on one side of the impeller blades. This actually means the motor has a higher pressure differential to over come.

Turn the equation around and picture this scenario. Let's say instead of restrict airflow with your hand you increase it by blowing air in with an air compressor hose.

·
Registered
2007 gmc envoy_denali
36 Posts
Not quite.... Air flow is down and there is an increased vacuum(lower pressure) on one side of the impeller blades. This actually means the motor has a higher pressure differential to over come.

Turn the equation around and picture this scenario. Let's say instead of restrict airflow with your hand you increase it by blowing air in with an air compressor hose.
Get your multi-meter out and then report back. I used to work in aftermarket automotive HVAC, btw.

·
Registered
gmc envoy_slt_xl
18 Posts
I just did.... and what do you know amperage(work) is down.. I would have thought the decreased pressure on the back side of the blase would have more impact than the decreased air being pushed out.... Hmmm..

·
Registered
2009 gmc envoy_slt
153 Posts
Generally HP = Pressure * Flow so you can figure out what causes power draw to drop - a plugged filter etc will drop flow rate therefore generally result in a drop of amps to the pump. In larger HP centrifugal pumps systems I used HP=(Pressure (kPA) * Flow (M3hr)/2019 to get a pretty decent estimate of required HP.

261 - 280 of 302 Posts