Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
shoppin for a replacement ride ( Caravan died) have about 10-11 k US to spend.takin a hard look at trailvoys,anything I should watch for or avoid.aside from the usual things do they have problem areas? bad years,good years?
thanks

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
3,250 Posts
Well, you haven't specified a particular year, but in general, the following are some of the "known" problems...I'm sure others will chime in w/ some I'm forgetting:

fan clutches
instrument clusters
ignition switches
fuel pumps
coil packs
thermostats
TCM (trans. control module)
sway bar end links
cylinder sleeves (very early '02)

·
Banned
18 Posts
You should be able to find a lower mileage (less than 75k) '03-04 version for $10-12,000. Obviosuly the more equipment on it, the more stuff to potentially fail. 2wd will be cheaper, but having the 4wd is a nice addition. There again more to faill too. Go with your gut, if you test drive it and you get ANY kind of negative feeling........walk away.

BTW.......you didn't mention whether or not you need the space of the caravan. If so.......you are looking for an EXT version.......that will cost more, and IMO they look strange.

·
Southeast Chapter
2004 buick rainier
5,864 Posts
i understand where you are comming from wanting to get away from dodges:hopeless but what are you going to be using the truck for, if you plan on pulling any heavy loads or will be towing something like a boat up a slippery ramp then it will be helpful to find a truck with a G80 locking rear diff. also the base trucks come with a 3.42 rear gear, which is great for MPG but has a lower tow raiting, i have 3.73 gears in my rainier and they are great. right now most all 360's are going for pretty low so just find the model that you like the best and look for that. also there are 2 differnent engines (other then the SS) the 4.2L I-6 and the 5.3L V8 the V8 is great if you need the extra power and it only gets about 1-2 MPG less. I am very happy with my I-6 though. I average 16 city and 22-25 (depending on the time of year) highway. Good luck with your search. remember to check the resources tab up at the top and print out the RPO codes and then compare them to the sticker on the inside of the glovebox for the particular truck that you will be looking at and it will tell you every option that that truck has. Good Luck:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
10 Posts
I got my 2005 TB with 23K miles on it, in near perfect condition for 10,900, its on KBB for the mid 11's you should be able to find something similar

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
36 Posts
For the money you'r elooking to spend, you should be able to get something late model with low miles easily. there are so many out there and dealers are very willing to deal, so low ball the crap out of them. I recently picked up a nice black 2003 EXT LT with the 5.3l V8 and DVD entertainment with low miles for under 8k here in Long Island. They originally were asking $9995. I told them 7k and we went from there.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
967 Posts
If you live in the snow belt, look for 4WD. These things suck in the snow without it. The trouble with the 4WD is the electronics. Simply put they suck. Lots of TSBs on it and repairs from the dealer are expensive. Other than that, I think the GMT 360s are pretty solid and are a good buy.

·
South Chapter
4,487 Posts
Keep your eye out at dealerships as well.....my fiance and I picked up TB #2 for her it was an '08 program vehicle (demo) for $12,500 with the carfax report and it was GM Certified, it had less than 10k miles on it too.....they are out there you just have to look!!

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
23 Posts
I just bought mine back from the insurance company after a drunk hit me on new year's eve. The frame on these things is a huge boxed in deal, quite massive for the vehicle size. It took a 35-40 mph hit at the front door/fender seam and shook it off like it was nothing. There is a lot to be said for impact survivability. I have pulled my 3000 pound race car on an open trailer with it and have no problems at all. I just apply common sense to my speed and braking distance. It isnt a 1 ton truck and it will let you know it if you push it too hard. All in all I have enjoyed it since 2002. It just got fresh paint so it will have to hang arround awhile longer. With an intake, resonator delete and a tune on the PCM it knocks down 23-25 mpg on flat highways. I passed one of those little Smart cars on the road yesterday and just visualized what that wreck would have felt like sitting in it. Screw the extra 10 miles to the gallon!

All in all I would buy another one today.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
6 Posts
:m2:Go with a 05 or up with 4x4 and an I6, 5 pass. Nice ride, very versitile and fuel efficient if your not towing much or need EXT for more pass.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts