Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_sle
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm buying a 2006 Trailblazer or Envoy from Carmax in the next couple of days. I tow a 23' travel trailer that likely weighs 5,000+ lbs. I've been towing it with a 98 Olds Bravada and it tows like a dog. With the higher tow rating, torque, and longer wheelbase I think I'll be happy with either vehicle. Also, I'll likely be trading in my 15' Seadoo Speedster on a 20'+ beck boat in the next couple of years. What should I look for? I'm leaning towards a 4WD, but I've read a bit about the G80 locking diff. I wonder if a 2WD with the G80 would handle pulling a heavy boat (5000lbs) up a slick boat ramp.

I've read that a sticker in the glove box will say if a vehicle has the G80 option. What else should I be looking for?

As far as amenities I'd like to have Homelink

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,574 Posts
Welcome to the site. :tiphat

Another thing to look for if your towing would be the gears. Try to find one that has the 3.73 gear ratio. You can still tow with the 3.42 but the 3.73 will make towing better.

·
Banned
2006 gmc envoy_denali
391 Posts
Welcome to the site. I have an 06 Envoy Denali 5.3, 3:73's, G80 and love it. I personally think you'll like the power it has to tow.

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
:tiphat Welcome :tiphat That Bravada had about, IIRC, 150 to 175 hp, the stock I-6 is 275 hp. So even with the 3.42 gears you will be impressed. But, :iagree: get the 3.73 gears and G80 option if possible.:m2:

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_sle
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is the axle ratio listed on the sticker in the glove box? Does the 4wd model come in both ratios?

·
Banned
2006 gmc envoy_denali
391 Posts
Is the axle ratio listed on the sticker in the glove box? Does the 4wd model come in both ratios?
Go to thread, 2006 envoy build sheet, look for one of those reports for one with 3:73 or better yet have him run the vin and see yourself all that is there including warranty stuff done and such. for that Truck.

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
We actually have three gear ratios: 3.43, 3.73, and 4.10. The 4.10 is pretty rare. The gearing is listed on the glove box door: GU6=3.42, GT4=3.73, and GT5=4.10 And the 4x4 option is available with any of the three.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,113 Posts
We actually have three gear ratios: 3.43, 3.73, and 4.10. The 4.10 is pretty rare. The gearing is listed on the glove box door: GU6=3.42, GT4=3.73, and GT5=4.10 And the 4x4 option is available with any of the three.
:iagree: x3 here on this one

any of the gears yull be okay...our motors are pretty high output but 3.73 would be yur best bet...inside yur glovebox are yur RPO codes just match them up nd yu find out wat yu have...the guy before me towed his 28' camper with my truck nd i have 342 gears with no g80...he only got rid of it cause he needed more space for more kids...must not watch TV :weird:

yu wont be disappointed with the capabilites of this truk...it will surprise u

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,614 Posts
i tow a 5500 lbs boat + trailer and gear in the summer, and 4x4 is a must at local launch ramps where the trailer can get into the mud... i also have 3.42's and no g80 and have no problem with the load

·
Southeast Chapter
2004 buick rainier
5,864 Posts
you will want the G80 and I also have the 3.73 gears and it does great towing; post up some pics of your speedster! I have a 2001 14.5ft challenger; what engine set up you have in your boat? I love this little boat it handles like nothing else on the water; appstategrl and the tomvoy will aggree with me on that:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_sle
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've got the 97 Seadoo Speedster with the twin 85hp engines. It is a quick fun little boat to drive, but it is rough. I installed a trim tab under the center of the boat. That made it quite a bit smoother, but it is still a bit too rough for my wife and daughter.

you will want the G80 and I also have the 3.73 gears and it does great towing; post up some pics of your speedster! I have a 2001 14.5ft challenger; what engine set up you have in your boat? I love this little boat it handles like nothing else on the water; appstategrl and the tomvoy will aggree with me on that:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_sle
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I pulled the trigger and bought a 2006 Envoy SE 29k miles on it for just uder $14,000. I has 4WD, the G80 differential and a 3.42 gear ratio. I couldn't find one with a 3.73 or 4.10 gear ratio. All of the Trailblazers I saw were either fleet or rental vehicles.

Next for the project list:

Install my break controller and connect power to my trailer plug-in. Does the wiring have a diode built in? Do I need one?

Transmission cooler

cup holders

Homelink I have to do some homework and see if I can take one from a salvage vehicle, pop off the cover in my vehicle, and install it.

Tow mirrors

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
Use the Search button. There should be a wire already there for the power to the trailer plug. It just has to be connected at the front fuse box

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,113 Posts
good find...post some pics wen yu get a chance :thumbsup:

the 342s will actually be good...ull get better highway mileage with them...besides yull be towing more on the highway then sidestreets no?

non-the-less yull be happy :coffee

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_sle
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Use the Search button. There should be a wire already there for the power to the trailer plug. It just has to be connected at the front fuse box
I saw the thread and I've already Id'd the power wire. With my Bravada I ran my trailer battery dead for some reason. I found that with the Bravada battery disconnected and the TV light on, the trailer battery lit the lights. I needed a diode to prevent current from traveling from trailer to TV. Just hoping that isn't the case with the Envoy.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
118 Posts
I pulled the trigger and bought a 2006 Envoy SE 29k miles on it for just uder $14,000. I has 4WD, the G80 differential and a 3.42 gear ratio.
Nice find and at a respectable price.:thumbsup:

You will be happy with the power. The '06's have 295 HP , a big jump in power & torque from your '98. The 3.42 gears will work just fine unless you tow more than 15% of the time. Big bonus on the G80...Nice.:woot: Is the unit Certified Used with a warranty ?? Got the service records.??

Get the brake controller hooked up and transmission cooler installed, you'll be good to go. Use the search function on this forum to find many "How To" articles on these items. Fill in your profile and we will stand by to help you on your new undertaking.....WELCOME.....

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_sle
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nice find and at a respectable price.:thumbsup:

You will be happy with the power. The '06's have 295 HP , a big jump in power & torque from your '98. The 3.42 gears will work just fine unless you tow more than 15% of the time. Big bonus on the G80...Nice.:woot: Is the unit Certified Used with a warranty ?? Got the service records.??

Get the brake controller hooked up and transmission cooler installed, you'll be good to go. Use the search function on this forum to find many "How To" articles on these items. Fill in your profile and we will stand by to help you on your new undertaking.....WELCOME.....

I picked it up at Carmax. It still has some factory warranty left.

I've been browsing the article and ordered the PCMforless transmission cooler kit. It isn't cheap, but from everything I've read it is good.

Now if I can just find a way to rig up a decnt cup holder for those Double Gulps!

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_sle
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I towed for the first time. It was a MUCH smoother ride! The gas pedal is softer and has a lot more travel on the Trailvoy. I was a bit disappointed with the power, but perhaps I just need to get used to the different feel of the gas pedal. Accelerating to highway speeds and when going up hill I didn't put "the pedal to the metal." With my old Bravada the gas pedal was very touchy and require suble handling not to do jack ribbit starts and such.

Out of curiousity, what has to be done to change the gear ratio from 3.43 to 3.73 or 4.10?

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
Changing the front gears is the expensive/labor intensive part. With the drive by wire, GM has incorporated a torque management system to help save the transmission. If you get a tune you can get some or all of the torque management removed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts