Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 170 Posts

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's see if the mods smack me for using a suspension subforum for this. :confused: After all, this forum is the clubhouse for my offroad buddies.

Anyway, after weeks of working on other stuff besides mine, my designer/fabricator Al just started sending me CAD files for review. After I approve something close, he'll print out the pieces on paper, tape them to cardboard, and we'll assemble the test article.

Not sure if this will happen tonight, or early next week, but here is the CAD at its current state. My comments are in yellow, mostly to get the lower edge raised up to get more approach angle right in front of the tires. The 2" receiver will be centered to carry my Warn Multimate winch carrier - so I won't have to carry it around all the time. Might save 0.1 MPG.

Please comment, even though these are early renderings and the frame mounting plates aren't designed yet.

My first ever hand-drawn concept, from almost exactly one year ago:

Front:

Rear:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Looking good!!! What about this line instead? May give you a better approach to larger rocks. Just an idea... Have a good weekend!

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looking good!!! What about this line instead? May give you a better approach to larger rocks.
Good question. Even if I could approach and climb onto larger rocks, where do they go after you get the wheel onto them? Onto the rock sliders, which are 14" or so off the ground. I'd rather hit the bumper as a clue if I didn't get out to spot such a large rock anyway.

Second, I need some vertical structure there to add back in the Envoy cornering lghts. TBs don't have those, I don't think. Lots of custom bumpers have fog or driving lights built-in. I might be the first to have cornering lights. :p

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
8,770 Posts
It looks too squarish:undecided I was thinking something like that with a fiberglass cover :yes: But it's your project :D

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
396 Posts
Looking good Roadie .
I believe you had said another buddy of yours with a TB was also having one fabbed up correct ?

James

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Teebes is possibly Al's second customer. But Al is a slow son of a gun, and just took off for the weekend with the family for a holiday without finishing the CAD, so we can't start the cardboard. Darn families. They get in the way of a lot of good modding. :x

BTW - how's the bionic elbow?!?!?!?!

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
442 Posts
looks good roadie, I'm sure your looking forward to using the front TOW points....

I just ordered my new, and oh yes larger tires.

MAXXIS BIGHORN's 32"s

Shipped out today!!

And yes, I will post some pics next weekend... next weekend
will be fun with mounting and balancing these new 32"s, installing my new sway bar end links, stabilizer bar bushings, and some minor cleanup work...

Roadie, if you ever talk to your rock slider guy in the somewhat near future, put in a good word for me and getting a set :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Looks good Roadie. I like the design and I like your edit to give you a better approach angle.

Unkljon, you get those Bighorn's off ebay? I was thinking about getting a set before. Let us know how they turn out.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_lt
94 Posts
Great Job and keep us updated.. I usally fab my own bumpers...but only because I can never find everything one with everyting I want. Add no-one makes good bumpers for these things.

Yours looks perfect!

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are you adding a grille guard on top of the bumper or does that just represent your existing grille?
The existing grill is modeled in the CAD picture. I haven't decided whether or not to add a tube guard for the grill and headlights like a brush guard. After the bumper is modeled, Al will throw up a version with and without, and I'll superimpose them on a picture of the truck, and then decide how it looks.

Ooops, did I say that? I'm going to decide something on appearance? Oh, blasphemy! On functionality alone, I think there's no choice. My winter trails are almost all rocky desert, but with lots of brush on the sides of some. I lost a cornering light once to a branch that poked it right out of its mount. So I expect I'll end up with something that looks like this H3 item:

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Looks great Roadie, I know you've gotta be siked to be gettins somewhere with this after so long. Can't wait to see the progress...any word on the rear, or is that going to be a seperate project?

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Al took the holiday weekend off for a family vacation. He's back on the project now. Current schedule is to trade vehicles with me on Sunday, he'll make the cardboard template from the CAD drawing parts, and bring it all back Monday morning for approval. Fabrication should take a lot less time than the design. He seriously underestimated the design challenge, but we have a fixed price contract. :D

The rear will be next, and that's also included in the contract I have with him. After all the delays, I could have called it off and gotten my deposit back, but that's not the point. I want my BUMPERS!

He's going to clone the rear bumper design from the LOD Offroad Xpedition rack, except we'll design some wraparound corner armor and I'll redo the exhaust to come out a hole in the rear right side:

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Cool, that will be a nice setup there to say the least. I'm slowly piecing together my offroad recovery kit, although in no way does it rival what you've got planned...although, neither do the trails I have available to me.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There's movement. Al just drove over (30 miles) and traded trucks. So I have his 15 year old Toyota pickup as hostage, while he has my Envoy to do the cardboard template. Come to think of it, that's not a very valuable hostage trade, was it? :eek: :undecided :duh:

Now I have to go get ready to be best man in a wedding this afternoon. Nicest compliments I get while wearing a tux are usually of the form: "Boy, you sure clean up good, dont'cha?" :dielaugh:

·
Banned
chevy
12,260 Posts
There's movement. Al just drove over (30 miles) and traded trucks. So I have his 15 year old Toyota pickup as hostage, while he has my Envoy to do the cardboard template. Come to think of it, that's not a very valuable hostage trade, was it? :eek: :undecided :duh:

Next you will have to threaten to rearrange his front bumper if he doesn't work on yours!!! :laugh: So what exactly is his incentive to give your voy back???

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
...So what exactly is his incentive to give your voy back???
I know where he lives. I know where he works. I know what he does on CORR racing weekends. Oh, I suppose I could give him a scathing review on the pirate 4x4.com board. :mad:
:eek:

He's also bought some sheet metal for the shell. :D

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for helping! I talked to those guys extensively over the last year. Turns out they even have one designed for the TB. All they needed was a guinea pig to leave their truck with them for a few days to do a final test fit. Nobody seems to be willing (or able) to fab a bumper without having the physical vehicle.

I called for volunteers; I considered driving there from San Diego; I considered shipping my truck out there on a flatbed; I considered paying for somebody to find a rental Envoy in the area; I considered paying somebody to slip flyers under windshield wipers in the area to see if we could rent a vehicle. I only got one offer in that whole time, and it was somebody who couldn't do it right away, so I had to find a local fabricator/CAD designer.

But Kennesaw Mtn. makes some fine bumpers. Too bad you weren't here a year ago and willing to drive to GA and I would have paid for the gas! Sigh....

1 - 20 of 170 Posts