Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Still searching for a GMC Envoy XUV w/SLT trim
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering adding a Bull Bar to my XUV, but was wondering if they have any function besides protecting your bumper from yellow paint marks from Walmart sign posts when I pull into a spot...

Can you pull anything with them? Can you push anything with them?

Are they just for looks?

Please let me know. Thanks.

·
Registered
2004 GMC Envoy SLT 4.2
291 Posts
They might look 'cool' , but , just more weight and you have to work around them when you want to clean the front end or get under the hood .
More pain than gain .

·
Registered
697 Posts
I've nudged a few of my cows around with the one on my K5 Square - in a friendly way - nothing too serious.

As far as protection for an itinerant deer or moose or duck crossing the road - your results will vary depending upon speed, height of the animal and what it had to eat for the last few days (body mass).

I'm not too sure about the one on my TB since it's kinda low and unless I am out to remove kneecaps on pigmy goats, I just put it on for the center slide area to help my low-hanging oil pan plug slip over golf balls, thick lines on the highway or an occasional pile of dog poo.

20200416_164036.jpg
001 orn.jpg

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everybody for your replies. Is what the Police use on TrailBlazers so much different? Would those be "pushbars?" I just keep picturing in my mind somebody attaching a tow strap and pulling a car out of a snowy ditch or road shoulder. Or pushing a dead vehicle off the road.

·
Registered
2004 GMC Envoy SLT 4.2
291 Posts
Thanks everybody for your replies. Is what the Police use on TrailBlazers so much different? Would those be "pushbars?" I just keep picturing in my mind somebody attaching a tow strap and pulling a car out of a snowy ditch or road shoulder. Or pushing a dead vehicle off the road.
I'd let the police handle those things . I highly doubt your insurance covers any damage that they might cause .

·
Registered
697 Posts
Some states have an exemption from damages caused by a person trying to render aid, called The Good Samaritan Act.

Not all states have such a law on the books... so if you DO damage something or cause injury to another person and even though you are not a professional emergency person, you MAY or MAY NOT be responsible if a rescue or a free push job goes badly.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I am considering adding a Bull Bar to my XUV, but was wondering if they have any function besides protecting your bumper from yellow paint marks from Walmart sign posts when I pull into a spot...

Can you pull anything with them? Can you push anything with them?

Are they just for looks?

Please let me know. Thanks.
Bull Bars arent the real deal, they are attached by thin strips. If you want real front end protection you can mount a heavy duty cage to a 2" Receiver Curt front hitch. I have a front end hitch put on mine which wasnt easy but worth the effort. I use it for heavy duty bike rack and trash removal with a Harbor Freight hitch carrier.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Bull Bars arent the real deal, they are attached by thin strips. If you want real front end protection you can mount a heavy duty cage to a 2" Receiver Curt front hitch. I have a front end hitch put on mine which wasnt easy but worth the effort. I use it for heavy duty bike rack and trash removal with a Harbor Freight hitch carrier.
^ forgot to add, it is an excellent way to have a winch put on the front. I dont have a winch but I do have a winch plate ready to use if I ever need to. The Curt front hitch is super strong but the paint quality is of average spray can quality, I stripped off flakes and brush-painted with heavy duty Rustoleum,

·
Registered
697 Posts
Just a sidebar note....
Instead of Rustoleum, try Van Wyck Tractor Paint. You can get spray, bulk quarts, gallons and you can add a really good hardener they make it tougher too.

Think: Tractor Supply, Murdocks, etc.

Tractor paint is very tough. ... and you can make it better w/ the hardener.

Most gallons are around $30-40. Hardener is a little spendy, but worth it..

READ THE INSTRUCTIONS ON THE PAINT CAN!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I live in a city so not much offroading, but we do get a lot of snow, once had 6 feet in 2 days. My ZR2 has a transmission going so I'm gonna sell it really cheap and I just bought a loaded 04 Envoy XUV w/SLT after searching for just the right options (G80, G67, UM8, UQA, 86U, etc) and thinking about lifting it. I was wondering if these bars would be like a cop car's push bar.

The XUV is Magnetic Red Metallic, but it looks more like a red raspberry than a red strawberry. I think chrome really sets off this color, so I was thinking going with a chrome hood guard/bug deflector and chrome mirrors... and a chrome or stainless bull bar... nothing huge but something that would protect the front when parking at the supermarket. I haven't had a vehicle with a plastic/urethane front end since my Monte SS...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts