Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!
So I was just working on removing the transmission from my 04 envoy xl, and it came time to remove the rear driveshaft. Its setup with the rear tires on ramps and frontend on jackstands. I went back there and discovered the right strut spring is busted, being displaced from its position on the axle. My question is how might i solve this issue, seeing as the car cannot move at the moment. My fear is that ill jack up the rear tire off the ramp and that thang is gonna fly out like a bat out of hell and wreck something else.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Ple-e-e-e-ase pre-read this whole answer before you get to doing the next part. It's not complicated - even a caveman - and all that stuff .................

There is NO preload on that spring if you disconnect both shock absorbers on the rear end and --- leaving the front end on your jackstands, roll a differential jack (commonly a floor jack) under the center section of the rear end.
  • Now jack the rear differential up enough to get the rear wheels off the ground.
  • Then (here's the tricky part) with another set of jackstands capture the frame with the jackstands --- and let the floor jack down and the springs will just fall out.
  • The vehicle will be supported on four jackstands - it's safe if you use good stands and put them in good places.
  • Fortunately - the whole frame under our vehicles is a massive box frame that is very forgiving and very sturdy, so chances here of getting into too much trouble are nil to none.
Here's what's gonna happen -------------
► The rear shocks limit the amount of down-drop of the differential and since they limit that travel, the springs won't fly out, off or launch.
► Once you remove that limiter (the shocks) you can under excellent control let the rear end drop below the zone where there's any pressure on the springs.

No flying-decapitating springs, no flying monkeys - no blood or missing fingers.

To restate-----> You're going to "hinge" the vehicle up on the front jackstands and once you have it up, put another set of jackstands near the frame close to the differential hump. Lower the jack on the differential center section letting the rear end drop slowly.

S-L-O-W-L-Y

It's all under control - don't panic - we retired mechanics did this all the time both on vehicle hoists and even using three floor jacks.
► Evidence that we did this all the time is that most of us are still alive - and I'm writing this.............​

All you've got to do is control the speed at which you lower that differential.

YOU ---- have had a spring break. That's not all that uncommon - but it isn't the end of the world.

BTW: both springs will fall out - just let it happen. You need both springs to fall off. This is good since we NEVER just replace one spring - unless you like your vehicle to lean a little (or a lot) when the ground is level.

It works - just go slow and don't get antsy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome, that's good news to me. Thanks for the reply I'll be sure too take my time with it! (y)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts