1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone :)

Hope everybody is doing great!
Ok, I just went down and disconnected the heater hoses from the heater core, using the quick-disconnects.

When I was doing the first one (the one that goes off to the driver's side), I broke it off.
After 2 minutes of swearing (it's a crappy way to start a Sunday), I decided to get on and fix it.

Where does this hose go?
If looking at the engine straight ahead (front of the vehicle to the back), I broke the right quick-disconnect.
That one kind of 'snakes' behind the engine block, and then I loose it.

I found this reference: Expensive hose

From that thread, I believe that the... Transmission has to be dropped???
WTF!

Any ideas?

Thanks guys!
Have a great Sunday! :)

-- AJ

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, call me crazy, loco, insane, demente, yet I just whipped out a bottle of Super Glue (from Loctite) and just glued the thing back together.

Because of my frustration and the speed of the glue, I didn't snap any pics.

I am going to go test it now with 5 miles, then 50 to see if anything 'pops' or starts leaking.

If it works, I am going to be one freaking HAPPY camper! :woot:

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,708 Posts
When that thing gets up to 15 lbs of pressure I doubt very much if super glue is going to do very much and antifreeze wants to squeeze past everything. Do you have the heater in the back? Looks like the front and back come off a t-fitting. You might not have wanted to break this part. I believe auto parts stores have a replacement coupling that connects to the hose with hose clamps.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When that thing gets up to 15 lbs of pressure I doubt very much if super glue is going to do very much and antifreeze wants to squeeze past everything. Do you have the heater in the back? Looks like the front and back come off a t-fitting. You might not have wanted to break this part. I believe auto parts stores have a replacement coupling that connects to the hose with hose clamps.
Hey Robert!
Thanks for the quick reply! :)

I agree with you... I doubt Super Glue will hold 15lbs of cooling system.
Dex-Cool, actually.

I don't know why I poured in that bottle of Dex-Cool, knowing I might have to undo the system.
Probably because I wanted to see the orangy stuff. :excited:

Ok, so, I'm headed to the autoparts to check out your suggestions... see what we can figure out. Thanks!
(( reference: I don't have heater on the back. :) ))

Also going to get some clamps for the radiator hoses... don't want to have to mess with those compression clamps from hell.

Finally, thanks for giving me a new sig!
You might not have wanted to break this part.
LoL! :rotfl:

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's a pic:
Auto part Wheel Tire Automotive wheel system Automotive tire

I broke the heater hose on the right.
Of course, this pic is pre-breaking, from when the a/c evaporator got replaced.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The green square is the quick-connect that I broke.
Fictional character

So I believe it is the hose that goes behind the engine block, right along the top of the transmission.

Ideas?
:)

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
dont know where you live... and you may not really need heat.
If you really need to get the TB going....

On my 70 Monte Carlo.
My heater core started leaking into the Cabin- into the passengers feet.
Since im in Los Angeles. I dont need heat--- and to avoid removing the heater core and dash--- I simply cut the hose to the heater core- I put in a piece of WINE BOTTLE CORK... and used a clamp to tighten it down.
This worked to get me home.
Once home-- the engine hot OUT line- I simply reconnected to the ENGINE IN... totally bypassing the heater core...

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dont know where you live... and you may not really need heat.
If you really need to get the TB going....

On my 70 Monte Carlo.
My heater core started leaking into the Cabin- into the passengers feet.
Since im in Los Angeles. I dont need heat--- and to avoid removing the heater core and dash--- I simply cut the hose to the heater core- I put in a piece of WINE BOTTLE CORK... and used a clamp to tighten it down.
This worked to get me home.
Once home-- the engine hot OUT line- I simply reconnected to the ENGINE IN... totally bypassing the heater core...
Hey!
Thanks for the reply! :)
I follow you on the heater-delete procedure.
I'll keep it under consideration, if the hose fails.

I just came back from a 140 mile trip, where the Super Glue fix did not break.
Now, word on the trip: It was all highway speeds.
So the cooling system was not stressed, and it did not get 'pressurized' considerably.

I'll just keep an eye on it, and update you guys as to how long the Super Glue fix holds on. :)

As a side-note: Dex-Cool rocks!!
Just from using that with water, the temperatures went down.
Amazing. :woot:

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I know why it worked for you. I forgot where you were. When you start to get close to the Bermuda Triangle everything works a little different. Yes, it might have not worked in Oregon............
Hey, all kidding aside, I am really glad that the super glue worked. I have used JB Weld to fix things that I would never admit to, but it did work. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know why it worked for you. I forgot where you were. When you start to get close to the Bermuda Triangle everything works a little different. Yes, it might have not worked in Oregon............
Hey, all kidding aside, I am really glad that the super glue worked. I have used JB Weld to fix things that I would never admit to, but it did work. :thumbsup:
LoL
HaHahaa
yeah, stuff works a little different down here! :p

I'm still searching the autoparts stores for the part you mentioned:
quick-connect to hose-barb.

As much as I want Super Glue to work, it just doesn't add up.

So I'll keep everyone updated! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.