Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today like many advised on here i decided to change my plugs with ac delco 41 103s and clean my throttle body seeing as i have 177,500 miles on my TB. Got all changed out and went for a test drive. Blinking ses and had a misfire. Pulled everything apart again and as i was checking #3 coil pack the bolt snapped and broke off. So now my major issue is getting what seems to be about 1/4 inch of bolt out. Any suggestions or is there away just replace #3s spark plug well. Please help.

·
Banned
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
237 Posts
No threads are out unfortunately .
They actually make a tool for this. You can buy it off ebay or any parts store. I found out about because I was changing my work truck plugs and 6 snapped off. It was a 2004 F150. I guess its a problem for that year of truck. Use google and search "04 F150 Spark plug change" it will give you the part number for the tool to get broken plugs out.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,433 Posts
They actually make a tool for this. You can buy it off ebay or any parts store. I found out about because I was changing my work truck plugs and 6 snapped off. It was a 2004 F150. I guess its a problem for that year of truck. Use google and search "04 F150 Spark plug change" it will give you the part number for the tool to get broken plugs out.
It isn't the spark plug that broke, it's the bolt that holds the coil pack down.

It sounds to me like the OP will need an EZ out.

Also if I had to guess, the misfire was because the coil wasn't seated on the plug but rather next to the plug. I almost did that.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
116 Posts
You can try using a pick to turn it out but that won't likely work. The best way is to drill a small hole in the center of the bolt, preferably with a left hand drill bit and then use an ez-out to remove it. The spark plug wells are a part of the rocker cover and can't be replaced on their own.

·
Banned
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
237 Posts
It isn't the spark plug that broke, it's the bolt that holds the coil pack down.

It sounds to me like the OP will need an EZ out.

Also if I had to guess, the misfire was because the coil wasn't seated on the plug but rather next to the plug. I almost did that.
Lol, ok well now you know what to do if a plug breaks. They sell kits for getting stuck bolts out at any hardware store. Good luck and let us know how it went.

·
Banned
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
698 Posts
Remember to be very careful with such a small ez-out. They are very easy to break!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the posts guys.. I was thinking ez out as well but should I be concerned with drilling in that area and what if something should fall down into the plug well... Any helpful hints are appreciated.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,433 Posts
Thanks for all the posts guys.. I was thinking ez out as well but should I be concerned with drilling in that area and what if something should fall down into the plug well... Any helpful hints are appreciated.
Keep the spark plug in there (or put the old one back in temporarily just in case) so to keep junk out of the cylinder. Then when you're done extracting the busted bolt, clean out the plug well very well.

It sounds like if you had the bolts off once to replace the plugs that you overtightened the bolt when you put it back on if you broke it off when removing it the second time.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
239 Posts
Can you still get to the broken bolt when there is tape over the plug well? That would be an effective way to keep debris out...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the replys guys. i was thinking of taping it down.. i'm still debating if i want to mess with the bolt or if i want to get it to a mechanic who actually knows what they're doing. On the bright side my throttle body is all nice and shiny. Will keep you guys updated on the bolt situation.

·
Registered
2009 chevy trailblazer_lt
133 Posts
It won't help you now, but maybe some other poor soul, remember to let engine cool down completely before trying to remove coil packs.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I used anti seize on the plugs, but didnt think to use it on the bolts. My TB is currently at my dads buddy's garage. He's going to work on it today. He's going to attempt an EZ out and see if he needs to rethread it or not. He's done a couple of cars with the same issue.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Welp, the broken bolt is currently out. The new problem that has arisen is finding a replacement bolt. Does anybody know if that is something that napa or another auto parts store will have or if its something a hardware store can duplicate?

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
1 Posts
I would (carefully) take a bolt from another coil pack and bring it to a napa or a well stocked ace or true value hardware store. Try to match the bolt and grade. I have had luck with a few small rural hardware store belive it or not. They seem to know what we need!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Solved

Got my TB all back together and its running great. EZ out used to extract bolt. Misfire fixed as well. Seems like the throttle body is opening up and sounds a lot better.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts