Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 02 Envoy and need some help. I am 2 hours from home and it will not start. All lights work, battery meter reads 14 and is only 6 months old. When I attempt to start it i get a breif "rrr" and then nothing. Tried to jump start it and still does the same thing. For now i simply need to get it home and not pay a towing bill for 100 miles. Not sure if its the ignition switch or starter. Any tips, hints to tell which one it is and possibly get it started one last time to get it home.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
151 Posts
If you have a good battery, and the connections are tight, try hitting the starter with a hammer. Maybe it has a dead spot or the brushes are worn.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
151 Posts
Oh ok. Can you tell if the starter is getting any power? Do you hear the solenoid clicking at all. Are the connections tight at the starter?

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
connections are all tight but i had nothing to test if the starter is getting power. Like i said i was 2 hours from home with no tools. I am headed back down in the morning to try and get it going jst trying to figure out where to start. When I turn the key i just get a "rrr" like the starter is trying to turn but then it just stops.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i am really hoping someone can help me with this. Like i said in my previous post, when i turn the key i get a very brief turn over, (brief as in 1 second) and then nothing. I guess my question could would the ignition switch do this or would i get no reaction at all?

·
Banned
chevy
12,260 Posts
I would think you would get no reaction at all. If the starter tries to turn over but just sounds weak and then stops.... I would bet on a battery issue. 14 volts does not mean it has enough power to turn the starter.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it drop for a second and then back up, tried jumping it and still does the same thing.

·
Banned
chevy
12,260 Posts
Normally if it is the switch, the starter doesn't engage at all. Thats why I said it sounds battery related. Could also be the starter. I would have the battery load tested first, its usually free at an auto parts store. If its good, and you don't find any loose connections, I would look at the starter.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
battery is only 8 months old. I am going to take it to get tested tomorrow anyway. I am going to be working on this 2 hours from home in a parking lot. Trying to start with the most likely cause and work from there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts