Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 04 tb ext that I recently changed the passenger side upper ball joint in. Ever since then it feels like that brake is dragging and it's to the point that the pad is worn and now chewing into the rotor. Could this be a bad caliper that just happened to go bad around the same time? I'm going to change the pads and turn the rotors this weekend but am wondering if I should change the caliper also. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2004 GMC Envoy SLT 4.2
185 Posts
For the 30 or so bucks , I'd switch the caliper for a new or reman'd .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Then you can be done with it and move on to the next 'situation' . ;)
I changed the caliper, rotor, and pads and it still is dragging. I was going to change the line thinking it might have gotten bent but I couldn't get it off easily and didn't want to break it.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
97 Posts
It's possible that you have an internal split in the rubber brake hose. If the split points "up" in the hose, then brake fluid can't get to the caliper in sufficient supply, and the brake on that side won't work properly. If the split point "down" in the hose then fluid can't get back out of the caliper like it should, and the brakes will drag. When you replaced the caliper, did you use any brake pad lubricant on the caliper pins? It's possible that they are sticking in the caliper and the caliper can't slide back like it should.
Just a couple of possibilities.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, the new caliper had grease under the boots for the pins and I rubbed it over the pins. I actually bought a line for it but couldn't get the old one to break loose from the connection at the hard line. I didn't want to risk bending the hard line. I sprayed it really good with penetrating lube and am going to give it another shot before taking it in

·
Registered
9 Posts
Un
That's what I think I'm going to do
I think at AutoZone or Advance they are $68.99 but after return old caliper you save $30 making it $38.99 before tax, I have to do the same after replacing inner & outer on driver side and just inner ball joint on Passenger side.. Now the driver side caliper is trying to lock up.. Causing passenger side to spin in rear because of driver-side trying to lock up...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts