Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
101 - 114 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
118 Posts
All slide pins ( 8 of them) were cleaned with brake cleaner and them re-lubed with fresh lubricant.

All bolts were touched with anti-seize and installed back to factory spec.

No piston rings showed signs of leaking or malfunction, and spun freely after brakes were released. Everything was clearing the rotor, shims were clearing just fine.

All metal to metal contact points were cleaned with an pneumatic wire wheel and re-lubed.

Only thing I can think of is... I did re-use the old shims but thought I cleaned them well enough and re-lube their pad contact points. I guess anything is possible, even thought I have always re-used the shims if they looked good once cleaned. I also didn't use any RTV brake noise preventative since the old bottle had dried up.

I'll try and snag some new pad shims and RTV goo and see if that solves the issue.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'll add to the negative review. I meant to post this a couple weeks ago but I haven't been around.

These have been on since the first week of September. Early October they started squeaking like crazy. Nothing I do seems to stop it. These things make more noise than the cheapies I got a Napa.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
44 Posts
Do not buy from eagle brakes !!!!

Should have stayed with Brake Motive as these rotors are showing corrosion already. Now I am in a battle with Eagle Brakes and have had to use EBay's resolution process. Brakes seem to be working fine but I fear that the rotors will look like c-ap in a very short time. So much for USA zinc plating.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
Did you end up doing this? I'm replacing my brakes very soon, and was wondering if it was worth the $120 or so for the brackets to upgrade to EXT/V8 rotors.

I never did. When I rotated my tires I still had plenty of pad left- Maybe February/March.....

·
Registered
2005 saab 9_7x
12 Posts
Hesitant to buy these for only one reason....

My wife is the primary drive of our Saab 9-7x. She isn't a large person, so she most definitely notices when brakes/steering effort are harder than usual.

Have OEM pads and rotors on the truck now, but the front rotors are warped. I was thinking of replacing all 4 brakes with the Brakemotive kit (rears might be good, but for another $80 in parts, why not do them all now and not worry about brakes for a few years).

The only issue is the stop sign 3 houses down from our house. She will likely back out of the driveway and go too far because "it's too hard to stop the first time", then she'll have trouble stopping at the stop sign for the same reason. I can hear the complaints already inside my head in an echoing voice :)

Thinking that my only solution might be to order a set of four rotors, and buy the OE front pads. Will look at the back pads when I get to them, and replace at that time if necessary.

Thoughts on the "increased pressure required for first stop" theory? Did you get used to it the first day, or could it be considered annoying by someone who isn't a trailvoy/car/truck enthusiast like we are?

I guess the question is: what have your wives said since you put on the Brakemotive kit. Didn't notice, not a major issue, or do they complain about it? :) :) :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
Hesitant to buy these for only one reason....

My wife is the primary drive of our Saab 9-7x. She isn't a large person, so she most definitely notices when brakes/steering effort are harder than usual.

Have OEM pads and rotors on the truck now, but the front rotors are warped. I was thinking of replacing all 4 brakes with the Brakemotive kit (rears might be good, but for another $80 in parts, why not do them all now and not worry about brakes for a few years).

The only issue is the stop sign 3 houses down from our house. She will likely back out of the driveway and go too far because "it's too hard to stop the first time", then she'll have trouble stopping at the stop sign for the same reason. I can hear the complaints already inside my head in an echoing voice :)

Thinking that my only solution might be to order a set of four rotors, and buy the OE front pads. Will look at the back pads when I get to them, and replace at that time if necessary.

Thoughts on the "increased pressure required for first stop" theory? Did you get used to it the first day, or could it be considered annoying by someone who isn't a trailvoy/car/truck enthusiast like we are?

I guess the question is: what have your wives said since you put on the Brakemotive kit. Didn't notice, not a major issue, or do they complain about it? :) :) :)
She will never notice. Only a car/truck/voy enthusiast would notice.... its not like the pedal is wooden or un-responsive, it just takes a little more pressure. certianly not like she was going to do a panic stop.

Oh-- 77,000 miles and still going strong- pads have plenty left, the rotors are in good condition, yes, a "little" rusty, but nothing like a stocker would look at 70+ k miles on the vehicle.

I'm holding off as long as I can on doing them. The car is not unsafe and stops as well as when they were new. Basically im just waiting till the next oil change- that will be 80,000 miles on these "cheapie" brakes.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
80,000 miles- I finally changed the brakes.

Purchased another set of Brakemotive and put it on this weekend.

Couldn't be happier with a brake job under 200 bucks.

I went with the standard kit, Didn't bother upgrading to the EXT front pads/caliper mounts- I kinda had to do it quick and couldn't wait to source parts.

I guess ill do that next time.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
17 Posts
4 wheel brake and pad change @ 50k miles

:thxAfter reading this forum I decided to purchase a set of Brakemotive rotors and pads on ebay. I followed the brake in procedure and smelled the heated brake pads. Then let them cool off with low energy stops. So far so good. I plan to post my long term results as time goes by. I also bought a full set for my 02 monte so. prices are good.

This forum convinced me to buy the set. There are alot of good testimonials here.

Norm

·
Registered
chevy
287 Posts
I've been running mine for about 60,000 miles. I have replaced the rear rotors because i got lazy and didn't swap pads when needed but still running the fronts. great visual upgrade for sure and performs at O.E. standards for very low cost

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
17 Posts
brakemotive rotors and pads update

I installed 4 rotors on my 05 ext TB. I have put 600 miles on them and performed some agressive stops with them. The are stopping well. They are a bit sqeeky on damp mornings. It doesn't last long. I've done highway miles and local miles. I have no regrets yet.

I installed a 4 rotor and pad set on my 02 monte carlo ls. they have 500 miles on them. They perform well. Same damp morning squeeky issue.

For both installations I followed the break in procedure as directed. I recieved no surprises.

We will see how they like Michigan winters and salt!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Holy **** ladies, I know this is an old thread - I dont even have a Trailblazer/Envoy, but this thread compelled me to register. I have been looking over brake kit options for the past few weeks, and have seen these Brakemotive kits on eBay. Like most of you guys, it sounds like, I thought they were cheap-o brakes and not something worth putting on my truck.

Well, after reading through these reviews, and seeing that one dude get 80k miles out of his set up, I ordered a set for all 4 corners. Couldn't beat $190 shipped, even though I wasnt crazy about cross-drilled and slotted rotors. Hopefully they work out for me as well as most of you.

PS - the friggin Tundra guys need to get in the game of doing reviews! I've search through for some reviews from our guys, and they're almost non-existent, certainly nothing that would instill any confidence in anyone prospectively looking to purchase them. Thanks fellas!

101 - 114 of 114 Posts