Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
41 - 60 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
2004 buick
21 Posts
I usually am the first one to look on Ebay and see 4 rotors and pads for 189.00 and think: "too good to be true" but I did some more research, and I figured what the heck- the only bad stuff I found on line was on the corvette forums. Since i don't drive my 4.2 TB like a vette, I decided to give them a shot and let the TV community know how it worked out.

I drive about 40,000 miles a year. My original brakes just gave up the ghost at 66,000 miles.

Pads/Rotors: All the rotors and pads come from Powerstop, and are zinc coated. They were all true and looked great out of the box. The kit includes the Powerstop Evolution Ceramic pads. Everything fit perfectly and went together as should. I broke them in per the Instructions included in the box.

Initial impression :thumbsup: ( 66,687Miles):
I'm impressed. The initial bite of the brakes is much much better, and you need less brake to haul the TB down from speed. I also did a few high seed stops and the they have no fade. It seems that the pad material is definitely well-matched to the rotors.
Can't make any observations on brake dust yet, it's been snowing/slushy mess since I installed them.

Ill keep updating as the miles add up- So far, it seems i got my money's worth and then some.
Any dust buildup on the front wheels? I hate that........

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Zero Dust... i hate it also... i like to keep the ride KLEEN!

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt
95 Posts
Alright guys, i've been referred to a couple different threads on brakes...I just want to get a few things straight on the differences between the I6 and the V8 .....LT and EXT.....Envoy and XL...etc. Am I correct when I say that the only difference in the brakes is the front brakes and with that being said...the only difference is the rotor size and the bracket that attatches to the caliper. And all the bracket does is put the pad further back on the rotor...correct?? :coffee
From everything i've read, everything in the rear is exactly the same....and in the front, the pads and calipers are the same. Then the question...will anyone besides gm sell me just the brackets???
Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
update- 85, 516 miles

85,516 Miles (approximately 20K since install)

Pads have about 2/3 life left- but I regret to inform you that: I've got warpage.....

I'm sure it was worst case scenario- Exit ramp, 70 to 0, normal braking in 110 Degree heat, but yeah, I warped them Happened about 3or 4 times since the July 4th weekend.

Once cooled, there is no pulsation though, but every once in a while, i get it. Checked caliper slides and nothing is hung up.

At this point, I am not sure what to think..... I know i don't drive like 90% of other TB owners- my typical day is a mix of city/highway - but 5-6 hours in the car, 200-500 miles a day. I'm hard on stuff for sure, so I cant say I'm really surprised, but I guess i had high(er) hopes.

I guess my driving is severe service!? lol

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
912 Posts
oh well I'm sure you can buy a replacement or 2 for pretty cheap. Has anyone had any squeaking with these, I need to replace the brakes and rotors in all 4 corners in our tb in the next 3K miles.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
92788 miles-

Didn't replace anything.... had the wheels balanced and guess what.... smooth as silk again.

needed an alignment and the fronts were cupping, under braking the cupping made it feel like a rotor was warped.

First time for everything.

As for the brakes- about 30K miles since doing them- pads are at 50%

Looking good.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_denali
102 Posts
Just installed my brakes yesterday:woot: Man I got to tell you....that was the easiest brake job I've ever done!!

Whoever owned my Envoy before me had put brakes on once before so the rear calipers came off super easy.

I love the look of the slotted rotors and how awesome the brakes work now. I would recommend Brakemotive brakes to anyone.

Only tools I needed to buy extra, for the job was a 18mm impact socket and a handy 'one man brake bleeder'

Replacing the rear brakes and rotors is much the same as doing the fronts. The only real difference is the emergency brake; which still makes no difference in changing the rear brake components unless it needs adjustment.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle_xuv
75 Posts
I have had mine on for about a year now, No problems at all, No brake dust build up, have done some winter snowmobile trailering too. I have noticed some rust starting to creep in from the outsides where the pads dont go right to the edge of the rotor, other than that, No proformance issues

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_denali
102 Posts
Break in procedure

I emailed brakemotive76 to get the actual break in procedure.......

brakemotive76 said:
Dear toddster2010,

Hello,

Break in the pads as follows: 5 aggressive stops at 50 mph to 10 mph without letting the brakes cool and try not to come to a complete stop. Then do 5 moderate stops at 30 mph to 5 mph and do not let the rotors cool after each brake application. You should expect to smell some burning resin. Finally, drive around a little and let the brakes cool down. This assures proper friction deposition to prevent brake pulsation.

- brakemotive76
Hope this helps future members who buy this awesome set!

-Todd

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle
52 Posts
Just got a full set off Ebay. Had major problems with the el-cheapo o'reilly pads and rotors I put on over a year ago. They squealed and pulsated something terrible. Got the new full set from brakemotive overnight (the guy ships fedex, and quick). These look like really good quality. Got em put on the other day and not a squeak yet! Wish I had known about these before I bought the stuff from oreillys last year as the brakemotive price is way cheaper for a better product. I actually was able to return the oreilly pads for a refund, but not the rotors.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle_xuv
75 Posts
Now Worries here Nerdalert..
Have had them on for 16 months now, No problems at all, Work Great, Look Great
Get comments about them all the time,
Dont stress man!

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
152 Posts
Powerstop rotors and pads have been on 4 or 5 days now, maybe 50 miles. No problems but I've been putting off the break in. After reading all the above I'm going to do it this morning. After a few cups of coffee, I'm ready.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_denali
102 Posts
Installed these back in September.

Only complaint so far, is the brakes actually squeal every morning for a very short period of time.

The squeal goes away after the brakes warm up I believe.

Why? I have no idea.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,433 Posts
For what it's worth, I had brakes from Brakemotive on my Camaro. They amazed me. Like some others, I saw them on ebay, thought they were cheapos, but given the car needed brakes and I was broke, I figured a cheap set would at least work for the time being, then I could get a good set later when I had money.

I was surprised at how well they worked. Loved them. They were the slotted rotors, no cross drilled holes. Better for structural integrity anyway.

I want to get a set for my TB as my current brakes are basic stuff that is fairly worn (though still have life left), but the biggest beef I have with them is the horrid dust! But, I was looking at the stock on Brakemotive's page and all I see is slotted and cross-drilled rotors. I don't want cross-drilled (though slotted is nice) because of the increased chances of stress cracks developing.

I may call them and see if they have any non-drilled rotors for these trucks, like on order or something.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,433 Posts
41 - 60 of 114 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.