Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually am the first one to look on Ebay and see 4 rotors and pads for 189.00 and think: "too good to be true" but I did some more research, and I figured what the heck- the only bad stuff I found on line was on the corvette forums. Since i don't drive my 4.2 TB like a vette, I decided to give them a shot and let the TV community know how it worked out.

I drive about 40,000 miles a year. My original brakes just gave up the ghost at 66,000 miles.

Pads/Rotors: All the rotors and pads come from Powerstop, and are zinc coated. They were all true and looked great out of the box. The kit includes the Powerstop Evolution Ceramic pads. Everything fit perfectly and went together as should. I broke them in per the Instructions included in the box.

Initial impression :thumbsup: ( 66,687Miles):
I'm impressed. The initial bite of the brakes is much much better, and you need less brake to haul the TB down from speed. I also did a few high seed stops and the they have no fade. It seems that the pad material is definitely well-matched to the rotors.
Can't make any observations on brake dust yet, it's been snowing/slushy mess since I installed them.

Ill keep updating as the miles add up- So far, it seems i got my money's worth and then some.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_lt
63 Posts
I bought them off of Ebay as well for my wifes civic, but I got the cross drilled and slotted rotors. I thought they did a really good job and she hasnt ran into anything yet, lmao, and they have been on for about 10 k now. Im taking the wheels off to do a 10 k inspection of them!

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
483 Posts
Here it is a month later, how are they holding up? now that you got more time to break em in. im in the market for new rotors and pads. i checked ebay then checked here to see if there were any opinions of them. Hows the break dust issue?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
(70,111 Miles)

Pedal feels normal- had some "emergency braking" with 4 people in the TB and the truck stopped on a dime.

Zero brake dust- the rims never looked so clean.

The only thing Ive noticed- but maybe it's just me:
They stop better after there's some heat in the pads. I live on a big hill, pull out of my driveway and coast about 1/4 mile to a stop sign. The first stop of the day just seems to need more pedal pressure- once there's some heat in the pads, they stop awesome.

So far so good.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
.The first stop of the day just seems to need more pedal pressure- once there's some heat in the pads, they stop awesome.
I have R1Concepts rotors and front pads and I think Duralast Gold Cmax in the rear and I get the same thing. Never really noticed it till about 6 months ago though

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How do these compare with R1's setup?
A quick google search shows that the Brakemotive kit is cheaper.... as far as comparisons, I'd say R1 would have to give us his impressions...

For 189 Bucks shipped, I'm really having a hard time finding something to nit-pick so far...

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
I don't think you can really compare them because I doubt anyone has run both. I can only say the the set from Brakemotive is a step up from stock.

Anyone wanting real brake performance should get EXT front caliper brackets and run EXT 12.8" front rotors with ceramic pads. I think the brackets were like $60 and since you need to get rotor anyway. Everything else is the same.

Not sure if it was just my perticular pads and and R1 rotors but they stopped on a dime. They were super grabby too which was a plus with the 22s

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
23 Posts
I just ordered the brakemotive crossdrilled/slotted brakes yesterday. I can't wait to get them on.

You say the EXT's use the same caliper as an LT? Just a different bracket to space them farther out? I wish I would've known that before. I might try and sell these fronts to a buddy and pick up a set of EXT front rotors.

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
2,369 Posts
I just ordered the brakemotive crossdrilled/slotted brakes yesterday. I can't wait to get them on.

You say the EXT's use the same caliper as an LT? Just a different bracket to space them farther out? I wish I would've known that before. I might try and sell these fronts to a buddy and pick up a set of EXT front rotors.
I imagine you would, I mean, you would need a bigger pad or caliper to cover all the extra surface area you're getting with the bigger rotor..right?

·
Registered
4,125 Posts

Exactly. See if you can return your current rotors and swap them for the EXTs. Everything in the rear is the same so no need to worry there.

I imagine you would, I mean, you would need a bigger pad...
Nope, sadly. They all use the same pads. They get spaced further out by the bracket and leave an unused portion around the rotor hat.

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
2,369 Posts
Nope, sadly. They all use the same pads. They get spaced further out by the bracket and leave an unused portion around the rotor hat.
Meaning more rust.. Now i'm thinking about going with EXT rotors that are cadium plated and drilled/slotted with ceramic pads..hmm.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Do the brakemotive rotor/pad kits on ebay include the little brake pad clips as well?
Mine did not come with the little clips.

I got mine, and put them on today.

Initial impressions, the quality seems really good. Only one problem though, they sent me two sets of rear pads! So I just ran up to the parts store and bought a set of ceramic pads for the front. I'm gonna email brakemotive in a minute and let them know about the pad problem.

Braking power is much better than before. I did have a warped rotor that pulsated pretty bad. But now it stops much faster and smoother. In my opinion, the $188 was a damn good deal, and even with the pad problem, I'm happy.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Are these truly, EVOLUTION CERAMIC BRAKE PADS ,or are they a knock off ,I don't know much about buying off of E bay ...

I have put them on cars before and there not bad pads.Its just the price seems to good to be true...for them and rotors

Not being negative, I just need pads and rotors all way around, :yes:

And I'm glad you started this post on longevity of the product.....

Just buying something online and returning it, can be a pain.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts