Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am new to the site, but excited about learning all I can. I have a 2008 Chevy Trailblazer and need to replace the brakes and rotors. I would like to have the rotors turned if all possible to cut down on some of the cost. I would be interested in some feedback on this issue.

I would also like to hear recommendations about brand names for brake pads and rotors. I have looked at Wearever and Raybestos. I guess a lot has to do with the type of pad you purchase as well e.g. silver, gold.

Thanks and I look forward to sharing my experience and helping others out with issues as well.

Matt Bishop

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
525 Posts
Rotors get turned all the time. The only time you run into trouble is if they have to turn them down to minimum thickness which can increase the chance of warping or stress cracks. Advance Auto, Autozone and Napa all have good pads for the money. I wouldn't skimp on the pads, go for the "Best" line.:m2:

·
Registered
169 Posts
for rotors you want to measure it before you rotate them because if they are below the minimum thickness then there is a chance of the rotors breaking or warping

from the most recommended and most expensive to least recommended and cheapest recommended

EBC
Hawks
Bendix or centric posi-quiet

i currently don't remember whether Akebono and Powerstop brakes are better then or worse then bendix or centric posi-quiets

bendix or centric posi-quiet are not the cheapest brakes around they cost like 40 bucks i have seen cheaper brakes that cost 20 bucks and what surprises me is that people buy those just cuz its cheap

never go for the cheapest brakes you can find because you get what you pay for you are putting you life into the brakes and you want something that will help you stop quicker and help keep the car in control

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Questions about brakes and rotors

I want to first thank you all for your recommendations. It's so cool to have this as an option when wanting to purchase the right equipment for your vehicle.

It seems the EBC brakes and rotors are highly recommended, in addition to the Hawks and Bendix or centric posi-quiet. I did do some research and found a "PowerStop brake kit for the front and back, which includes rotors and pads for $360.00, with a $40.00 rebate. The PowerStop brand has a lot of reviews with 4 stars or better.

Bottom line, I have always just gone to Auto Zone or Advance Auto and bought the mid-grade brake pads and those being like a Raysbestos or Wearever. I just thought I would throw the question out there and see what kind of replies I get back. My main issue is that I have had my 2008 Trailblazer for about 2 years now, and it’s starting to vibrate when traveling downhill at about 55-60MPH. To be honest, I haven't even pulled the wheels off to see how bad the pads. I thought I would at a minimum, change out the front rotors and pads. Of course I would like to have the rotors turned if all possible, but again, I’m not sure it they are the original rotors or not as well. I really don’t even know when you need to purchase new brakes either. I guess its obvious that I am new at this. I have changed out the brakes in the past, but its always been once I started hearing the breaks indicating they need changing. I will also add that I am not hearing any noise from the pads themselves indicating they need changed, but again I am getting the vibration from time to time and my braking power is not as quick as I think it should be.

Any other assistance or guidance in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Matt Bishop

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
28 Posts
I just did all new wearever rotors and gold pads from adv auto. Used trt41 for $40 off $100 only cost me $130.

·
Registered
169 Posts
an indicator for warped rotors is the steering wheel will turn slightly when you press the brake or you will feel your ass wiggling when you press the brake, that tells you the rear brakes are bad

also the brake wear indicator can break off and you will not even notice it

best bet is to check the brakes everytime you do an oil change since the car is already up in the air

·
Registered
12 Posts
...best bet is to check the brakes everytime you do an oil change since the car is already up in the air
+1

Might as well check when you're rotating tires. I rotate every oil change and check pads / rotors at that time also.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts