Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I'm having problems with my brake lights not working. The bottom lights work but the top and middle, nothing. I have checked #12 fuse, which look fine,but someone told me to change it any way. Can someone give me some ideas? Someone mention the Brake Light Switch. Can this be a solution?
I'm very simple minded when it comes to fixing cars, but I'm willing to try, I
can't really afford a huge bill right now :) Thanks for any help!
Have a great day!

PS - Trailblazer 2002

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
Before changing the switch, have you checked the bulbs to make sure they are good? I'm not sure which lights are for the stop lights on a TB.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
483 Posts
i just had the same problem. goto your local chevy dealer, and get 2 TAIL LAMP/STOP LAMP ASSEMBLIES. i tihnk they ran me 40 each. maybe 20 each. but its a quick fix and easy. pull the tail light off and pull the lamp ass. off switch the bulbs and put it back together. hope this helps. let me know how you made out.

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,431 Posts
i just had the same problem. goto your local chevy dealer, and get 2 TAIL LAMP/STOP LAMP ASSEMBLIES. i tihnk they ran me 40 each. maybe 20 each. but its a quick fix and easy. pull the tail light off and pull the lamp ass. off switch the bulbs and put it back together. hope this helps. let me know how you made out.
You could be right, the 2002 trucks do have a problem with the tail-light assemblies. GM has been replacing them for free.

But in case that is not the problem, can you tell what lights do not work. I don't have a trailblazer, the envoy lights are different, so from your description, I don't know what works and is not working. Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lights working

Ray,

The top and bottom lights do not work, but the bottom lights do (clear)
ones. Does this make sense? hope so.

Suz

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,431 Posts
Ray,

The top and bottom lights do not work, but the bottom lights do (clear)
ones. Does this make sense? hope so.

Suz
OK Suz,

The clear ones would be the back-up lights.

So, you don't have any red lights, brakes/tails/sigs

That's just too many circuits to have all failed, unless it's something common.

Of course, all bulbs could be burnt out (probably didn't happen at once, over a bit of time). I'd check the bulbs 1st.

If the bulbs are ok, it must be the circuit boards inside the tail-light assemblies. These are (or so it has been reported) replaced free at the dealers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The signal lights are working and all bulbs are good

Hi Ray,

The signal lights are working and I have checked all light bulbs,
they are good. ???

Suz :)

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,431 Posts
Hi Ray,

The signal lights are working and I have checked all light bulbs,
they are good. ???

Suz :)
Ok Suz, then we have tails and brakes not working.
Let's check the fuses. If the fuses are ok, it has to be the circuit boards; but let's check the fuses.

The fuse you changed, #12, is in the brake circuit. This part of the circuit tells the body control module (BCM) that the brake pedal is depressed. The BCM turns on the brake lights. This secondary circuit is protected by fuse # 34, rear fuse panel.

The tails are protected by 2 fuses, the left rear uses fuse # 14, the right rear uses fuse # 17 (both are in the rear fuse panel).

But, I don't think you have blown 3 fuses. The problem is probably the tail-light assemblies.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok thanks ray

Ray,

I will check the fuses and let you know :)

Thanks so much, it's great to have such good helping friends.

Suz

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
54 Posts
Had this same problem last week.
Had to get a replacement circuit board. The dealer had one in stock ($36.00). The board doesn't come with bulbs.

As easy to fix as changing the bulbs.

If you want to test it...you can take the circuit board from the other side (the one that works) and move the board to the first side (the one that doesn't work).

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
483 Posts
The dealers only will fix them for free if the vehicle is less then 6 years old and has less then 87.000 mi. mines 7 years old and 140k so i payed for them. but yes still very cheap and easy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Brake lights are fixed

Hi Zoo,

My TB is 7 years and 80K :) I bought it used 3 years ago with 40k on it.
It has been a great SUV, I'm sorry to hear this is the last year for TB.
My Brake Light problem turned out to be a bad #34 fuse. Thank goodness!
It brought to my attention that the Brake Light Switch was good because
the high mount stop light was working. We changed fuse #12 but someone
told me about #34. That was the fix.. Thanks for all your help and input!
Appreciate it. I'm going to add you to my friends list so we can keep in
touch! Suz

1 - 14 of 14 Posts