Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I searched this forum and found one entry that might help but thought I would start a new thread as I am not very mechanical but think this should be a relatively easy fix.

We just bought a new travel trailer a couple of weeks ago. I had a brake control module installed at the RV dealership. When we were there we had issues with it not registering a connection (nc) on the display. The tech "played around" with the wires and got it working. We towed last weekend and didn't have any problems but today, on the way back from our 2nd trip, the connection went down. I knew as I was coming to a stop the trailer felt as if it was pushing me. I stopped and played around with the wires but could not get it to register a connection again.

We were able to get safely home and then parked the trailer. I am planning a trip next weekend but don't want to go if the trailer brakes aren't working. My question is, with the lights working, it must a loose wire or a bad connection. Is there an easy way to fix this? I was able to get the connection off under the hood by turning the plastic knob on the top and then pulling it out but then what do I do? I read in the other thread about using a contact cleaning solution but do I just spray it into there or is there more I need to do?

I can provide pictures and/or any additional information. Thanks for any and all help. PS. I have a 2003 GMC Envoy SLT with 160k miles on it.

Thanks!:thx

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
2,468 Posts
Since you are unsure as to what to do, take it back to the people who installed the controller and have them fix it right (not just play with some wires).

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tried that, they told me to take it to the GMC dealer. I have an appointment scheduled for Wednesday morning and was looking for some insight here potentially so that I might fix the problem myself. I appreciate your response.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
8 Posts
You have a short some where. A wire or wires are not getting a proper connection. How or where is the question. That takes work and tools. Not something that will be solved by someone not there checking the wires. There is a grease used by me and many at the trailer/ 5th wheel connection to help, not sure that applies in this case.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I may have found something. There is a wiring connector/harness next to the fuse box under the hood. The large blue wire is the trailer brake wire. On top of the connector is a large plastic dial, when you turn it, the harness disengages from the connection side. When you look into it, the 4th wire down is pushed back into the connector itself which means it is not making a good connection. I would show pictures but because I am only have a few posts I can't do that yet. The URL for my photos is

imgur.com/a/Rhndh

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
2,468 Posts
That contact pin is larger than the others, which means that it is either a power or ground pin. Using a needle nose pliers, pull on the pin and see if it will lock into place. If it doesn't, you may want to see if you can access the rear side of the connector and apply epoxy into the pin receptacle to lock it in.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, I was able to pull the pin out with needle nose pliers then while pushing in on the blue wire and closing the connector I got a solid connection but still, no go for the trailer brakes (still reports nc on the Primus). I also checked underneath the back of the car and pulled rear wiring connector from the cord jack. I sprayed some electrical cleaner in there as one of the connectors looked a bit gummed up but still, no go.

I think I've exhausted my little bit of common sense and will just have "pay the man". Thanks for the replies all.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Envoy went into the ship this morning bright and early. I also asked them to take a look at the shocks on the truck. I feel that the rear is sagging a bit under the tongue load. This could be normal but it also could be the fact that the shocks have 160k on them. I will update this thread on both topics once I hear back from them.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just heard back

Just heard back from the Dealer's service department. They have no idea and can't figure it out. They said I might have to bring the trailer which I think it stupid because the tester that I bought shows the same result. All lights and even 12v is there , just nothing for the brakes so logic tells me it is not the trailer. Maybe I should look for an auto electrical shop?

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_denali
11 Posts
Their could be a bad ground that doesn't show its ugly face till its hooked up maybe? I've heard of that before.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts