Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys!
I know that whenever I run into problems with my Trailblazer you all always help out, so here goes:
In October of '08 I had all my brakes and rotors replaced. It was of course expensive as crap, and 2 weeks ago after experiencing the grinding noise I took my 2003 Trailblazer back into the same shop and they told me I needed to replace the whole lot AGAIN!...Brakes & rotors!
They told me that's the way the newer models of SUV's go through brakes and rotors and I can expect to replace them every year. Last year, I drove about 20,000 miles, and I realize thats a lot, but every year??
I have a 2003 Trailblazer LT, 6 cylinder and I want to know if that is true about replacing them every year, and can I use a rotor that doesnt need to be replaced every year? I can change the brake pads myself, but I would love to know if anyone can help with the rotor problem. I used to drive a '95 Jeep Cherokee sport which I had for 10 years, and only had to replace the rotors once, so ANY help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
34 Posts
I have a 2002 TB (purchased 7/01) with 55000 miles and still original brakes/rotors. Dealership says I should "think" about replacing them soon.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
2,667 Posts
I have a 2002 TB (purchased 7/01) with 55000 miles and still original brakes/rotors.
I have about the same miles on my 05 EXT and I still have the original pads/rotors. I recently rotated the tires and all the pads appeared to have about half their life left.

To the o/p I think the place that did your brakes is feeding you a lot of bull! My guess is they used very cheap Chinese made rotors and/or pads (cheap to them, not to you).

Personally if it was me - I would buy OEM rotors and pads and do it right. Sometimes a grinding noise doesn't necessarily mean the pads are worn down to nothing.
On one of my other vehicles, I had this happen when I have used cheap rotors. Like you say I was replacing them yearly. They seem to get grooves in them real easy, and then when you apply the brakes it makes a grinding noise that sounds like metal against metal.
In my case I had a lot of pad left, but some pretty hefty grooves in the rotors. So I replaced both rotors and pads with high quality ones and haven't had that problem since.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
3,250 Posts
.....They told me that's the way the newer models of SUV's go through brakes and rotors and I can expect to replace them every year. Last year, I drove about 20,000 miles, and I realize thats a lot, but every year??.......
In general, I'd say what the repair shop told you was a bunch of crap, but you didn't say how long it had been since you did the brakes previously. Maybe your just very hard on brakes??? :undecided

Hard to say, but doesn't sound right. As the poster above said, the stock brakes are very long lasting....I didn't replace mine until they had about 70k....and that was just the fronts, and I didn't have to replace the rotors until the 2nd set of brakes at 145k.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
What's this "shop" you speak of? A place where people who aren't you work on your vehicle?

:dielaugh: ;)

Seriously, if you and your friends aren't into brake jobs, just find a new shop. One whose owner doesn't have three kids in dental school all at the same time.

Can you share what the last job cost you? And the parts didn't have any kind of warranty? Many places offer lifetime parts warranties, and only charge for the swap-out labor.

I think the consensus is you were stuck with cheap parts, even by Chinese standards, and now you're being lied to in order to perpetuate the abuse. Flee.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
52 Posts
I would have to agree with everyone else on here. I just swapped out my pads with 90,000 miles on them. I bought very nice pads and I was able to do it myself for 1/10 of the shop wanted for the basic pads. I would definitely recommend either finding a new shop or getting dirty and doing the work yourself.

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
Sorry, but I'm going to pretty much disagree with all. I had to replace my front pads and rotors (original) at 20k. I replaced the rears (also original) at 22k. Then the right rear again at 39k. In all cases, it seems the caliper was sticking. The outboard pads (the ones you can see without removing the tires) were like new. The inboard pads were down to metal. Which is why the rotors needed replacement. If you do a search you will see a lot of TV owners with short pad life. If it happens again, I will look at replacing the calipers.:m2:

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
4,125 Posts
it seems the caliper was sticking.
how tight did that pad fit? I've gotten a few pad sets at work where the casting was too big and needed to get ground down a bit. When the caliper pressed them on the rotor they would stay there and wear away

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
how tight did that pad fit? I've gotten a few pad sets at work where the casting was too big and needed to get ground down a bit. When the caliper pressed them on the rotor they would stay there and wear away
That seems to be what is happening. The pads seemed to slide easy enough but, maybe when I get a chance I'll remove them and file the ears down a bit. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
2,667 Posts
Sorry, but I'm going to pretty much disagree with all. I had to replace my front pads and rotors (original) at 20k. I replaced the rears (also original) at 22k. Then the right rear again at 39k. In all cases, it seems the caliper was sticking. The outboard pads (the ones you can see without removing the tires) were like new. The inboard pads were down to metal. Which is why the rotors needed replacement. If you do a search you will see a lot of TV owners with short pad life. If it happens again, I will look at replacing the calipers.:m2:
IDK, but I'd say you either have a serious caliper problem, or you are hard on your brakes. Look how many people on this thread alone have hit 100K miles or very close to it. 5 of us have gone at least 50K - 100K miles give or take a few.
Rbarrios hasn't posted here yet, but I know he has mentioned on other posts that he got over 100K miles on his pads/rotors.

Granted the first 25K - 30K miles on my EXT were mostly freeway driving, but the last 25K has been mostly city driving - lots of stopping!
Like I said I still have somewhere around half the pad left on all the wheels.

Edit: I did a search and while I did find a couple of people with low mileage on their brakes, I found many more than had high mileage.

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=57113&highlight=brakes

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showpost.php?p=687117&postcount=16

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
I really am not hard on the brakes. I usually scan ahead and coast to the lights. I've even been told by a mechanic that my problem is that I don't brake hard enough to heat up the brakes. And while it may be true, that doesn't explain only the inside pads wearing out. As stated the only part of the pads that wear are the inboard pads. I do believe, now, that it is a problem with the calipers. There are a few posts from members complaining about the same problem.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
I really am not hard on the brakes. I usually scan ahead and coast to the lights. I've even been told by a mechanic that my problem is that I don't brake hard enough to heat up the brakes. And while it may be true, that doesn't explain only the inside pads wearing out. As stated the only part of the pads that wear are the inboard pads. I do believe, now, that it is a problem with the calipers. There are a few posts from members complaining about the same problem.
do you ride the brake a bit while coasting to the lights? That would slightly move the piston and not fully engage the caliper. Just throwing it out there.

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
do you ride the brake a bit while coasting to the lights? That would slightly move the piston and not fully engage the caliper. Just throwing it out there.
Thanks, but nope. I just back off the gas. I don't touch the brakes unless I actually use them. This problem is actually how I found TrailVoy.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
229 Posts
I agree with most here, if you are going through pads every 20k or less, then theres a mechanical problem.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Thanks, but nope. I just back off the gas. I don't touch the brakes unless I actually use them. This problem is actually how I found TrailVoy.
I've had people tell me they do it and not realize it's whats causing the problem. again, I was just asking.

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
2,369 Posts
my rears went out at 133k miles.

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
I've had people tell me they do it and not realize it's whats causing the problem. again, I was just asking.
Not a problem. I was sincere when I said thanks.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
57 Posts
This makes me wonder if the shop charged you a lot but still used a lower quality rotor. I know some of the rotors I have put on cars and SUVs in the past only have about 1 1/2 to 2 year life. With going 20k on them this could be what it is. A ploy by the shop to keep you coming in and forking over your money.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts