Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2004 GMC Envoy SLT...the factory bose sound system that is in it sounded beautiful until one day the bass went out!...i dont think it is totally out because when i turn the bass down you can tell teh difference...

so the bass is still there...just not as powerful as before...also every once in i while when i start the car or when i hit a bump the bass kicks in again but only for a few seconds!...with makes me believe that its not dead!...

now i know where the bose amp is my i have been searching online like crazy to find out where the factory subwoofer is?!...i know its a dumb question but...

WHERE IN THE WORLD IS THE FACTORY BOSE SUBWOOFER ON MY 2004 GMC ENVOY SLT?:mad::mad::mad::mad:

:thx:thx:thx:thx:thx

·
Banned
2005 chevy
6,469 Posts
Welcome to the group! :tiphat

There is no factory subwoofer. I don't have the Bose system in mine, but I believe all your bass is produced by the front speakers. If the problem changes when the truck gets bumped around, that tells me you've got a loose/broken/damaged connection somewhere.

I'd start by checking your speakers to make sure they aren't damaged, and then checking your speaker wires. See if wiggling things while your music plays can reproduce the problem. Good luck.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
580 Posts
Welcome to the group! :tiphat

There is no factory subwoofer. I don't have the Bose system in mine, but I believe all your bass is produced by the front speakers. If the problem changes when the truck gets bumped around, that tells me you've got a loose/broken/damaged connection somewhere.

I'd start by checking your speakers to make sure they aren't damaged, and then checking your speaker wires. See if wiggling things while your music plays can reproduce the problem. Good luck.
:iagree: and
Welcome

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ss_ls
2,251 Posts
I feel a rant revival coming along....

Yup... *cough* *spittle* *hack*

*plop* here ya go.

I have a BOSE rant somewhere... I gotta pull it up again I think.

*Edit* (Found it!! On the other Forum... will post it here cause I think peeps here need to be informed too.) :thumbsup:

THIS is why I dumped the Bose system. :x

I was explained that the BOSE option is esentially just a selling gimmick - kinda like the Harley F-150's - and all those other name brands that don't really belong to vehicles. Bose offers GM their use of their nameplate and (always) some low-end components to use for a little (big) kickback.

So what I did, when I got home, I pulled the door panels off and the panel where their amp is to give it a once-over. What I found was horrific - and an obvious money grab. Well, horrific only if you value your sound quality and system components, otherwise, it was a typical factory-ish setup.

The BOSE deck will flash the BOSE logo on it's screen - the only other way to tell is to physically examine the speakers. You will not find any other badging in our trucks in regards to this. IMHO, a testament to how proud they are of the system. :eek:

(For the record, I HAD the 6-disk changer setup.)

All the fancy Bose speakers had PAPER cones, which, at a constant loud volume usage shred notoriously quickly (I'm not gonna lie, I love my tunes loud). (History lesson: Paper cones are the absolute bottom-of-the-pile material for constructing speakers. Anyone who dabbles in sound systems can confirm this. Factories usually use paper-cone speakers to lower cost when putting in sound systems in vehicles.)

It also took me a little bit to figure out that the rear speakers were essentially a sub/speaker mix - why Bose would even build something like this is beyond me. Again, built with a paper cone.

I'm not quite sure what wattage their amp has, but I recall reading somewhere that it was approximately 150 watts (I may be wrong, so please correct me if you know the real numbers...).

So what ya have is 2" tweeters mounted by the bottom of the windshield, 6 1/2" mids/tweets in the front doors and 5 1/4" mid/sub frankensteins in the rear doors with a factory GM head unit that flashes the BOSE name in it's screen. All this stuff's wired together with low-grade, low wattage, typical home-stereo wiring. Kinky.

Now, I'm not going to hash out the sound quality issues as it's obvious there will be many, many different opinions about it and we don't need to be arguing over that.

So once I put the TBSS back together I headed out to my favorite audio store and bought the TBSS a new set of vocal cords. When I had my new gear installed (I supervise everything when it comes to my TBSS) even the tech guys couldn't believe how shoddy the Bose gear was - they expected better for a TBSS (which was the first one they've ever worked on!!). (Go visit my cardomain page to see what I replaced everything with... Yeah, I know, cheap advert plug right there! )

I haven't looked back since.

But again, this is my experience, my opinions and my research into this Bose issue and is to be taken as such. Just sharing what I know and have gone through. This rant might not be the consensus, just so you know, it all depends on what your expectations of a GREAT sound system is. Everyone will have an opinion, and they will differ.

We all know what BOSE stands for: Buy Other Stereo Equipment. :rotfl:

:tiphat
Oh, and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thankkk you guyss...i will look at the speakers!:D:D:D:D:D

annddddd i like the souund that was comin out...buttt i mean who wouldnt like some after market subs?!...eventually that will happen but for now i can just deal with the bose...for there actually being no subwoofer it sounds reall good! my whole truck would shake!:):)

:thx:thx:thx:thx:thx:thx:thx:thx again!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts