Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_sle
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i just brought a 08' Envoy i'm a huge bass head and i'm planning on makin a custom made sub box for two L7 15" 5000 watt mono block amp, Four kenwood 6x9's 500 watts each, I also have four 6.5" kenwood about 240 watts for door panels hitting 1400 watts on a four channel amp.

Now dis is where my questions cum in to play lol, i have the factory bose system and i know i have to use certain wiring harness' in which i have already brought. If i do chose to replace the door speaker can i leave the new aftermarket 6.5's with the factory amp? Or would that mess all the other aftermarket hook up's? I would prefer to leave the factory amp for the door speakers instead having to take out more then i really wanna and having to rewire anything else.

plz assist!!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_denali
437 Posts
First of all, the way you worded everything makes me think you really don't know what you're talking about. Things like "hitting 1400 watts".

Anyways, if you're going to put in a full system, why would you even think about keeping the bose system? If you're going to go to that extent, you need to replace the stock headunit and get rid of the stock speakers.

What was your plan for the speakers? How are you going to power them? You throw out numbers like 500 watts and 240 watts, then say you have a 1400 watt 4 channel amp? The ratings on the speakers only show their power handling, and you need to look at the RMS not the max rating. No speaker that I know of will even come close to a 500w rating, hell even high end speakers usually don't have a 240w rating like you claim. Most high end speakers rate the rms at 100, maybe 150, MAYBE 200 but those are damn good speakers not kenwoods.

If you REALLY plan to put this system in, this is what I would do.

#1 Take it to a shop, they know what they're doing
#2 Put the Kenwood 6.5's you mentioned, 1 in each door with adapter plates. Run these speakers off a good 4 channel amp
#3 The 4 Kenwood 6x9's, build some kind of box for them and mount it to your sub box and face them forward. Power these off a good 4 channel amp.
#4 Get a better amp for your subs. I am willing to bet the "5000" watt amp you have will do nowhere near 5000 watts, and even if it did those L7's are not going to be able to handle it. Look at something like a 2000-2500 watt amp RMS, something like a RF BD 2500, Sundown SAZ-2500, AQ2200D, etc.

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
214 Posts
I have to agree, if you are going to go that far, start with a clean slate.
I just happen to be lucky mine didn't come with bose so I did not have to strip it.

The bose setup is "ok" at best, I would get rid of all the bose components.
I am sure by replacing EVERYTHING with even low/mid grade products it will sound plenty better than the bose.

What model of amp do you have that putts out 5000watts?

I know there are a lot of people mislead by car audio manufactures power specs. Sounds to me like it may be 5000watts peak at 17v. But it really depends on who makes it.

I made a few people mad telling them my sub was only getting about 130 watts becuase when they see my amp it says 300 watts... But it is a cheap amp and that 300w is peak (if it will even make that much peak) hell i may not even bet putting out 130w. :m2:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts