Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m new to the forum, so if this is the wrong place I apologize.

I recently purchased my second Envoy Denali. This one is a 2006 model. Now when I bought it it had some minor issues that were pretty easy fixes. I had the windows tinted, along with the windshield. After my tint guy got done with my truck, I noticed the radio didn’t seem to work. After playing with it a bit I could hear music, but the display was not working. I have done a bit of research and couldn’t find a similar problem.

the steering wheel controls function as they should, the volume knob as well. The tune knob works as it should and the fade/balance/treble/bass knob works but no buttons on the actual radio besides the power button works and there isn’t any display at all. The backlights work in the buttons and knobs.

So any help on this would be great. TIA

·
Registered
2004 GMC Envoy SLT 4.2
230 Posts
Maybe take the truck back to your tint guy and have him put your original radio back in . ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe take the truck back to your tint guy and have him put your original radio back in . ;)
Man I just knew someone would win the idiot prize of the post. Congrats you have managed to do that. So let’s go over this again. It’s the factory radio for one, so there for the “have him put your original radio back in” comment he would have had to replace it with another. Since he does tint, and is well, my TINT guy he doesn’t install radios. (At least not mine) So before you fail so miserably at “trolling” again, PLEASE FOR THE SAKE OF HUMANITY AND YOUR CHILDREN OR FUTURE CHILDREN read! The issue is with a FACTORY BOSE HEAD UNIT! Just in case you didn’t catch that. Thanks again pdcomm for getting the stupidity out of the way so people with REAL answers may help. You are a star in my book. 😘😘😘

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And did I mention it’s not “LOCKED”? But I’m sure you would have figured that out since you know the radio works, CD player works, plays music. All the things a radio does.

·
Registered
2004 GMC Envoy SLT 4.2
230 Posts
Maybe you're naive enough to think what I suggested couldn't happen ? LOL

Call me what ever you like . You're shutting doors before they even open . Best of luck . :)

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
2,283 Posts
Maybe his response was a bit harsh, but if you had read his original post correctly, the tint guy only put in some tinting, never a word about the radio. Chill!

·
Registered
2004 GMC Envoy SLT 4.2
230 Posts
Maybe his response was a bit harsh, but if you had read his original post correctly, the tint guy only put in some tinting, never a word about the radio. Chill!
I'm fine . It's the OP that seems a bit on edge .

And , why would the tint guy ever say he switched out a stereo ? Of course , the OP wouldn't know ...
Never mind . The world is a perfect place filled with nothing but angels . LOL

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm fine . It's the OP that seems a bit on edge .

And , why would the tint guy ever say he switched out a stereo ? Of course , the OP wouldn't know ...
Never mind . The world is a perfect place filled with nothing but angels . LOL
For one it’s a close person friend of mine and two he did it in front of me in my shop. So yes I’m 100% sure he did not swap out my radio for another stock radio right in front of me...... 🤷🏻‍♂️ But from your logic I’m too dumb to know the difference

·
Registered
2004 GMC Envoy SLT 4.2
230 Posts
For one it’s a close person friend of mine and two he did it in front of me in my shop. So yes I’m 100% sure he did not swap out my radio for another stock radio right in front of me...... 🤷🏻‍♂️ But from your logic I’m too dumb to know the difference
My logic is spot on .
Until this last post , there was no indication that you personally knew the tint guy or that he did the job in front of you in your shop .
And , when/where did I ever even come close to indicating that you are dumb ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My logic is spot on .
Until this last post , there was no indication that you personally knew the tint guy or that he did the job in front of you in your shop .
And , when/where did I ever even come close to indicating that you are dumb ?
If you know these vehicles, then you know those radios are VIN specific, right? So if he would have swapped them out it would play any music at all. It wouldn’t work. It still works, just no display or button functions. Had you not put that 😉 in your first post, I would have given a simple response. But you automatically assumed my tint guy, whether I stated that I was close friends with him or not, would have done that. I guess for you to act that way someone must of done something similar to you. I apologize for being so sarcastic and rude but you just assumed it was stolen. You don’t have to be a d!ck to help people. Just sayin 🤷🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
2004 GMC Envoy SLT 4.2
230 Posts
If you know these vehicles, then you know those radios are VIN specific, right? So if he would have swapped them out it would play any music at all. It wouldn’t work. It still works, just no display or button functions. Had you not put that 😉 in your first post, I would have given a simple response. But you automatically assumed my tint guy, whether I stated that I was close friends with him or not, would have done that. I guess for you to act that way someone must of done something similar to you. I apologize for being so sarcastic and rude but you just assumed it was stolen. You don’t have to be a d!ck to help people. Just sayin 🤷🏻‍♂️
VIN specific can be worked around ( hacked ) , just like anything else .

I didn't assume anything . I never said your tint guy would do that . I simply raised the possibility that he could/might have done that . Considering all possibilities .

I accept your apology . :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
VIN specific can be worked around ( hacked ) , just like anything else .

I didn't assume anything . I never said your tint guy would do that . I simply raised the possibility that he could/might have done that . Considering all possibilities .

I accept your apology . :)
With it being hacked it would function correctly, right?

Your statement implied that he replaced it with another radio that was malfunctioning, yes. So with that being said you made the assumption that someone replaced my radio.

so if you can’t offer a solution, don’t be a problem

Thanks 😘

·
Registered
2004 GMC Envoy SLT 4.2
230 Posts
With it being hacked it would function correctly, right?

Your statement implied that he replaced it with another radio that was malfunctioning, yes. So with that being said you made the assumption that someone replaced my radio.

so if you can’t offer a solution, don’t be a problem

Thanks 😘
It seems that you are the one assuming . I only asked a question .
Maybe you're creating your own problems ? ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It seems that you are the one assuming . I only asked a question .
Maybe you're creating your own problems ? ;)
No you definitely made a statement. A question goes as follows:

“Do you think your tint guy could have swapped out your radio?”

notice the ending punctuation. “?”

I mean I have no issues, besides the display and certain buttons not working on my stereo. So if you have something that’s ACTUALLY helpful that would be great.

·
Registered
2004 GMC Envoy SLT 4.2
230 Posts
No you definitely made a statement. A question goes as follows:

“Do you think your tint guy could have swapped out your radio?”

notice the ending punctuation. “?”

I mean I have no issues, besides the display and certain buttons not working on my stereo. So if you have something that’s ACTUALLY helpful that would be great.
You are right . What I said was closer to a statement . It was meant as a jestful possibility .
Anyway , we've batted this back and forth enough . Sorry for any confusion .

On the radio front :
Have you checked all possible grounds associated with the stereo ?
Many times a bad ground will produce strange results .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You are right . What I said was closer to a statement . It was meant as a jestful possibility .
Anyway , we've batted this back and forth enough . Sorry for any confusion .

On the radio front :
Have you checked all possible grounds associated with the stereo ?
Many times a bad ground will produce strange results .
Grounds seem to be in order, fuse is intact as should be. Just weird that you can still function the radio completely with the steering wheel controls and some controls on the head unit are still working. Just can’t use and buttons but the power button. You can use the tune knob and volume knob as usual.

·
Registered
2004 GMC Envoy SLT 4.2
230 Posts
I've had good luck unplugging and reinserting connections , multiple times . That helps clean contacts and sometimes is successful .
While at that task , I insure all connections are clean and scratch tight .

·
Registered
buick rainier
15 Posts
1) You cannot just install a BOSE radio with the 6 disc changer, it will not work because they are coded to the VIN of the vehicle. So obviously the Tint guy did not just remove and replace even if he had the opportunity.
2) Even if you have a Tech 2 you cannot flash a BOSE radio to your VIN, I have tried, unsuccessfully. The Radio has to be sent to specmo or GM service, if you try hard enough to do it on your own, you will successfully brick it. Interestingly you can install a factory NAV radio as the Tech 2 has the ability to do that.
3) It appears you have a display problem, the radio is made in components, if you have a bad CD player, for example you can swap that out, and you can swap out the front face-plate, as well as the display.
4) Some radios have separate lighting power coming in for the buttons and for the display, I have not dove deep enough into my two BOSE radios to see if this was the case or not.
5) My Suggestion is this, buy any working BOSE Radio that looks like yours and replace the faceplate, as long as you do not replace the main board, it will still work. If it does not work it will let you know, it will work for about 1 second the first time and then no longer.
Another alternitive is for under $500 you can install an aftermarket radio and it will sound fantastic with the BOSE Amp, I did this with my 2006 Buick Rainier, and am more than pleased with the sound and the results. You have to tweak the EQ, but once you get it set, it will sound as good if not better than the factory system.
OR you can send it into service, or have one flashed for your VIN.

Glad to help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1) You cannot just install a BOSE radio with the 6 disc changer, it will not work because they are coded to the VIN of the vehicle. So obviously the Tint guy did not just remove and replace even if he had the opportunity.
2) Even if you have a Tech 2 you cannot flash a BOSE radio to your VIN, I have tried, unsuccessfully. The Radio has to be sent to specmo or GM service, if you try hard enough to do it on your own, you will successfully brick it. Interestingly you can install a factory NAV radio as the Tech 2 has the ability to do that.
3) It appears you have a display problem, the radio is made in components, if you have a bad CD player, for example you can swap that out, and you can swap out the front face-plate, as well as the display.
4) Some radios have separate lighting power coming in for the buttons and for the display, I have not dove deep enough into my two BOSE radios to see if this was the case or not.
5) My Suggestion is this, buy any working BOSE Radio that looks like yours and replace the faceplate, as long as you do not replace the main board, it will still work. If it does not work it will let you know, it will work for about 1 second the first time and then no longer.
Another alternitive is for under $500 you can install an aftermarket radio and it will sound fantastic with the BOSE Amp, I did this with my 2006 Buick Rainier, and am more than pleased with the sound and the results. You have to tweak the EQ, but once you get it set, it will sound as good if not better than the factory system.
OR you can send it into service, or have one flashed for your VIN.

Glad to help.
Well I would normally just replace it with an aftermarket unit, my Yukon Denali has a double din installed in it. But I wanted to keep this thing stock. I did some research on other replacements options and there’s a company that offers factory replacements with Bluetooth units installed in the actual radio. And it looks like the Bose, or any other factory radio. I may end up replacing all the speakers and the head unit. But for now it still works and plays music I just can’t see any information on the radio itself. So I ain’t upset about it right now. Hell I bought this rig for $1400 and it had 155,xxx miles on it. So I really ain’t in a bad way with it right now.

·
Registered
2005 trailblazer_lt
112 Posts
I've got replacement BOSE CD Changers available. Tested to be fully functional; you could either have it programmed for your truck,... or remove the parts from it you need and install them n your original head unit. If you are interested in a replacement head unit just send me a PM with your ZIP code ( for a shipping quote. ) for more details.

:cool:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts