Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short, I got out of jail and my 05 trailblazer LS base will not catch any gears from 1st to park, basically it’s in neutral full-time. I checked the rear differential because it was wet underneath it or was wet underneath it it looks like and there was two holes in my rear differential. Would it just be easier to get a whole new rear end then trying to replace the gears?

·
Premium Member
'05 Chevy TB EXT
4,644 Posts
Yuppers! You spit a couple of gear teeth there, partner!

They come out so hard they can go right through the housing .... just like that!

I've been there ... done that in my younger and stupider times. Of course that was with a dual squad, 301 heads, Chet Herbert Cam in a 301SBC in a '59 Chevy BelAire with a 4 speed hydro.

IIRC ... that single year saw me rebuild or replace a few dozen diffs. I loved that car ... but it had to go after a while ... every cop in LA, Riverside, Huntington Beach, Santa Ana, Laguna, Newport and Irvine/Ortega knew that car and it was cop bait.

Never got a ticket I had to pay though ....... I always beat them in court.

147 MPH in a 65 shuudda had me in cuffs though. Beat that one too by misrepresenting the car ... long story. <sigh>

·
Premium Member
'05 Chevy TB EXT
4,644 Posts
Nah. The transmission should be fine. The shock was inside the differential housing.

Can you imagine what the muzzle velocity was when those pieces decided to leave where they used to live?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah that **** blew my mind when I seen that. So I figured for that to happen like that everything in there is just demolished. I could get a used rear end for around $400 with a hundred twenty thousand miles on it.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,959 Posts
I've seen folks grab the whole rear axle from a Upull yard and swap the whole thing out. Make sure to get the same gear ratio.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,959 Posts
If you do swap the whole axle check to see if your original had rear wheel speeds sensors or not. Early models had no rear wheel speed sensors for the ABS. Later models did. I don't know what year the change was but you would need to match whatever is in there now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you do swap the whole axle check to see if your original had rear wheel speeds sensors or not. Early models had no rear wheel speed sensors for the ABS. Later models did. I don't know what year the change was but you would need to match whatever is in there now.
Highly appreciated. I know it's a GU6 which is a 3.42 ratio I believe I went off the label in the glove compartment not sure if it has the wheel speed sensors but I'll check into that before I buy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.