Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As discussed in another thread, there is a new manufacturer of grill guards and tail light guards besides Waag and Westin. I wanted tail light guards, but not enough to pay $190-220 for the pair. And Envoys are a niche vehicle not supported by a lot of vendors.

Anyway, after a hint in that other thread (thanks firebear!), I found they were imported by Xanatos Automotive, and there are only a few distributors signed up yet, and not all of them have the full product range listed on their web sites yet. Even Xanatos Automotive disn't have the Envoy listed at their own http://blackhorseoffroad.com/ site.

No matter. $135 later from Truck Stuff USA (888-480-4060) I had them drop shipped from Xanatos. They came stapled into an indestructible box, very nicely foam wrapped and then plastic bagged for moisture protection. Obvious Chinese printing on the box:

Tail light removed

Rear - they want you to mount them using the factory holes in the rear only.

Side - it touches the front of your light just with a rubber standoff screwed to the guard.

That's not going to hold off a branch trying to rip them off from the front, so I went to West Marine and got some stainless steel, rubber covered 3/4" cable bundle clamps.

Marked some holes to drill in the opening. That's a threaded insert install tool - called rivnuts or nutserts.

Rivnuts installed (10-32)

Stainless hardware installed on the cable clamps - guard hinged open

Guard hinged closed

Tail Light installed

Yes, I need to take the rubber off the clamps someday and paint the stainless black.

Now WHY IS THIS A FUNCTIONAL AND NOT AN APPEARANCE-ONLY MOD, you might ask?!? It's a perfect place to hose clamp a vertical PVC pipe to, to hold a miniature fold-up ham antenna to get better range when in the desert set up at a base camp or stopped for lunch, to hit a repeater 60-100 miles away possibly. On trips, I'll probably carry 16 or 24 feet of PVC and some couplers to get it as high as possible.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
4,009 Posts
Nice Bill!!!!

I sold my taillight guards because they did not mount at the front just like those. Wish I had thought of your idea :yes:

Another great job Roadie!

:hail:

Chris

·
Banned
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
371 Posts
Very nice, Roadie!

Don't forget one of these for the other side:

:x:raspberry:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle_xl
1,228 Posts
QOUTE FROM ROADIE;
Anyway, after a hint in that other thread (thanks firebear!), I found they were imported by Xanatos Automotive, and there are only a few distributors signed up yet, and not all of them have the full product range listed on their web sites yet. Even Xanatos Automotive disn't have the Envoy listed at their own http://blackhorseoffroad.com/ site.

your welcome roadie for the hint lol nice job its too bad there isnt a way to affix a small piano hinge along that side might make it a stronger bracket??

as far as the ham radio what about a hinged telescoping pole mounted to the side of your roof rack kinda like the temp flag poles or those poles for cleaning the pool....just an example, that with a 8' telescoping pole extended to 16' on top would almost give you a 20' rise for the antennae just a thought ....;)

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow very nice clean install. I like how you did the rivet install
Once you drill the first hole in your vehicle, the next dozen are easier. :p
your welcome roadie for the hint lol nice job its too bad there isnt a way to affix a small piano hinge along that side might make it a stronger bracket??
The weakest points are the pull-out force of the rivnut threads, which are aluminum. I thought about stainless rivnuts, but then they would just pull out of the sheet metal, damaging the vehicle. That is for thinking about an impact from the front. For a rear impact, the plastic screws holding the lamp housing in are the weakest spots, and I'm convinced I need to upgrade those to rivnuts and stainless hardware as well. I think it's about as strong as I want it to be.
as far as the ham radio what about a hinged telescoping pole mounted to the side of your roof rack kinda like the temp flag poles or those poles for cleaning the pool....just an example, that with a 8' telescoping pole extended to 16' on top would almost give you a 20' rise for the antennae just a thought ....;)
Thought about it. :undecided Normally, my HiLift is along one side of the rack, and my bridging/sand ladders will be on the other side. I haven't built those mounting brackets yet, but I did post about the bridging ladders. But by far the most important reason for using the guard for the ham antenna is that I've got JamesDowning nipping at my heels. :raspberry If I don't demonstrate that the guards are FUNCTIONAL, he'll mock me in my home forum :nono: , and I just can't allow that. Grant me this small attempt at rationalization? :yes:

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
3,219 Posts
the clamps are a really nice idea. I went the cheaper quicker route, and went to a craft store, bought some circle shaped velcro pieces. Attached one part to the taillight, and one part on the rubber end of the taillight guard. Of course it isn't as sturdy as yours...but it did stop them from wiggling.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
476 Posts
As usual, another excellent, excellent write up w/ clear photos. :thx

Your mod to the mounting does take this out of the just for show category and solidly into the functional, I need it off road category. Oh wait, what if this prevents parking lot damage at the mall too???:x

there is a new manufacturer of grill guards and tail light guards....I found they were imported by Xanatos Automotive, and there are only a few distributors...and not all of them have the full product range listed on their web sites yet. Even Xanatos Automotive disn't have the Envoy listed at their own site.
Clear up one point for me please. Does Truck Stuff/ Xantos/ Black Horse offer these for for both the Trailvoy and the Envoy or just for the niche Envoy?

Once you drill the first hole in your vehicle, the next dozen are easier. :p
I never had a problem drilling holes in a new motor vehicle. My wife on the other hand cannot understand the need to do that at all! At least these new holes are hidden by the tail lights. She would be OK with those because if she cannot see them I am not going to go out of my way to tell her they are there.:laugh:

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As usual, another excellent, excellent write up w/ clear photos. :thx

Your mod to the mounting does take this out of the just for show category and solidly into the functional, I need it off road category. Oh wait, what if this prevents parking lot damage at the mall too???:x

Clear up one point for me please. Does Truck Stuff/ Xantos/ Black Horse offer these for for both the Trailvoy and the Envoy or just for the niche Envoy?
Thx for the kind words. If my tail light gets hit in the mall by a grocery cart, after I flatten the cart and the car whose thoughtless owner let it go, I'll take the guard off and break the light for you guys to prove it's not a mall thing. OK? :yes:

The same place does make a set for TBs. Envoy is part number 7GD15 , TB is 7GR15. Truck Stuff didn't have either one on their site, but they have good prices for other Black Horse items and I just called 'em up.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,636 Posts
Have any trouble closing the guard around the headlight? Seems those brackets could make that pretty tough...

But by far the most important reason for using the guard for the ham antenna is that I've got JamesDowning nipping at my heels. :raspberry If I don't demonstrate that the guards are FUNCTIONAL, he'll mock me in my home forum :nono: , and I just can't allow that. Grant me this small attempt at rationalization? :yes:
Looks like your plan worked... you convinced me that it could be made functional... however I have a few further uses for you to work on:

A. Mount the Roadie Cam to it for a different view... (I always wanted that view for my videos).

B. Mount some flood lights to illuminate the rock sliders for spotting at night...

C. Use the other side for your CB whip (you have a CB right?)

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Have any trouble closing the guard around the headlight? Seems those brackets could make that pretty tough...
Analytical bugger, aren't you? :hopeless Why yes, it's a minor challenge. You have to put the tail light assembly into the guard while it's open, then guide its pins into their receptacles as you close it. Otherwise you're right - you'd have to beam the plastic piece into position. :p
A. Mount the Roadie Cam to it for a different view... (I always wanted that view for my videos).
WOW! Outstanding idea! Have to be very careful to not lose the camera to the rocks or dust, but what a POV!!
B. Mount some flood lights to illuminate the rock sliders for spotting at night...
Maybe. I try to never wheel at night. More dangerous and the lens in my left eye is deteriorating and I get flares worse when my iris is wide open.
C. Use the other side for your CB whip (you have a CB right?)
I had a magnetic mount, but just bought a Wilson1000 through-the-roof one to mount near my NMO-mount 2M/470 MHz one. Did I post about that install yet? Anyway, no need for a gigantic CB whip, but if I go on the dunes I'll have to get one of those orange flag thingies.

Your camera idea is the post of the day for me! Thx!!

Somebody else who thinks big watches are chick magnets? It's a Casio Pathfinder - module 3043 - model PAW1100T. There are two ways to recalibrate the compass if it drifts. What's your module number, and you can try my recalibration procedure and see if it works (assuming you don't have your manual anymore)

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
6,568 Posts
yea i liek the camera idea... as for the rock lights i'm planning on runnign white led stripes under the body and in the wheel wells... i think that would work as a rock lighter... but liek everything else its on hold till i get a job.. plus i gotta get a test strip to see if it is bright enough...

again roadie looks great...

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,636 Posts
yea i liek the camera idea... as for the rock lights i'm planning on runnign white led stripes under the body and in the wheel wells... i think that would work as a rock lighter... but liek everything else its on hold till i get a job.. plus i gotta get a test strip to see if it is bright enough...

again roadie looks great...
Dude, you also have to actually take the truck off the pavement... otherwise you are effectively wiring up underbody NEONS!! :x

We don't want that, do we?

Also, I guarantee you it won't be bright enough, especially in the wake of your other 500 Watts of forward lighting...

(This is really random... but Roadie... is your watch a Casio ProTrek? I've had mine for 6 years now and the digital compass has wandered off by 20 degrees :confused:)

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
JD - stop editing your posts while I'm answering the previous version!!!! You're gaining on me!!!

:raspberry

1 - 20 of 44 Posts