Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Bilstien vs. Rancho

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Chickenhawk 
#1 ·
Hi all..!

I have an all oem 03 LT 4x4 with 90k, and it's shock time. Looks like the oem's are not spoken highly of here.

Though I never off road, I would like a slightly stiffer ride than the oem. I do not want a stiff or harsh ride at all. I've had a sets of Billie's on Bimer's and Benz's and while the ride is good, they have NEVER lasted primarily becuase of the high pressure gas has always eventually pushed the oil out. I read about the Rancho's and they are a low pressure design so perhaps they would last.

I would greatly appreciate any input from those who have experience with either of these products in regard to ride smoothness and longevity of the shocks.

Thanks to all in advance to those who can help.

My Best, Marcos.

#2 ·
Once you have a few more posts, you will be able to search this forum. There are lots of comments about these shocks in here. The consensus seems to be that either is a good upgrade.

The Rancho RSX is identical to the Monroe Reflex, so you can search either name. They are a newer version of the Monroe Sensatrac; basically they give a smooth ride over small bumps but will stiffen as the shock is accelerated.

I had the Sensatracs on my 92 Blazer and they are still going strong. I installed the newer Monroe Reflex on my wife's 99 Blazer, but they are not a good fit for the 2nd gen Blazer. (Part of that is that the 2nd generation Blazer is not as solid as the 1st generation in many ways.)

On the Trailblazer, the Monroe Reflex/Rancho RSX seems to be a perfect fit. They took away that factory 'floaty' feel and really tightened up the handling. If matched with good tires, they can really change the feel of the vehicle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.