Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_ls
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sup everyone.. I'm slowly but surely movin up to bigger setups and I recently got myself a JL 1000/1 slash series amp.. Ive noticed my volts go down like crazy so I'm thinkin of doin the big 3..
I got some questions so here goes...
How many feet will I need?
And will any 0 gauge power wire do or do I need 0 gauge ground wire for the wiring?
Also, what kind of fuse should I use? I have the stock alt for now..
And last..
how many of you have done it here and is it fairly simple on our voys? Some shop wanted to charge me $300 I laughed..
Thanks everyone..

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_lt
137 Posts
It wasn't too hard to do. Take a look at my install here and shoot me any ?'s you might have.

Here is the prices from knukonceptz.com where I bought all of my wiring.

It looks like I did 2' of power, 5' of ground

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,552 Posts
Sup everyone.. I'm slowly but surely movin up to bigger setups and I recently got myself a JL 1000/1 slash series amp.. Ive noticed my volts go down like crazy so I'm thinkin of doin the big 3..
I got some questions so here goes...
How many feet will I need?
And will any 0 gauge power wire do or do I need 0 gauge ground wire for the wiring?
And last..
how many of you have done it here and is it fairly simple on our voys? Some shop wanted to charge me $300 I laughed..
Thanks everyone..
18 feet is enough to get to the back.

if your gonna use 1/0, that amp wont accept it, you will need a 1/0 to 4 gau. reducer.

i think a breaker is best for up front, depends on your amp draw, do a little more than that.

what did the 300 include? just subs and amp installed????

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
18 foot run to the back? no my subs and amp is already installed.. I have 4 gauge running right now.. first I want to see how the Big 3 will do about the volts and dimming then if I need to I'll upgrade the 4 gauge to 0 gauge using the reducer for the input on the amp.. I did notice when installin that 4 gauge barely fit..

So in other words how many feet of 0 gauge do I need to do the BIG 3 in the engine compartment? Like from
Batery to alt
alt to frame
and frame to battery..
Thats it right?

Sorry for the noob questions but I'm just getting into bigger ***** so I'm doin a lot of readin..

I got that amp for $100 :cool:

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,552 Posts
a while back some people were saying that doing a big 3 that your wire sould not be bigger than your run going to your subs. i was planning on doing mine this summer and using 4 gau.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmmm... that sucks.. if it's true that really sucks...
although I've seen lots of setups on caraudio.com people with smaller systems run 4 gauge or 2 gauge but the BIG 3 was still done in 0?
Even DJ-Hunt did this.. On his link that he gave me in the second response on here..
This weekend I managed to do the big 3 with 1/0. I ended up fusing the alt. + to batt. + just to be safe. The 2 ground wires were a PITA, but hopefully once I get the stereo installed it will be worth it.

I also did a run of 4 gauge to the rear cubby, along with the RCA'a and remote wire. Then I put the Rockford Fosgate T5001bd amp on a false floor.
idk.. what you think?

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_lt
137 Posts
You will be fine doing the big 3 with 1/0 gauge. It will only leave you headroom for upgrades later on down the road. The whole purpose of the upgrade is to improve the flow of energy through the electrical system. At the very least you would want your neg. cables larger than the cables going to your amp because electricity will take the path of least resistance and you don't want that to be through your amp!

Doing the big 3 just helps eliminate the weakest part of the electrical system. When you start adding large diameter wiring for your amp(s) it is often larger than the stock wiring, therefore you see alot of current now running through this wire because it is larger and flows easier, this in turn affects music quality and lights dimming etc.

·
Registered
2003 trailblazer_lt
9,856 Posts
And last..
Thanks everyone..
I did not fuse Alt + to Battery +, if you look at the way the OEM wire is routed there isn't much that could happen (i.e. moving parts, hot stuff)

I could not do the alt wire without removing the alt. Others here have done it with the alt in place....the shop may have included alternator r and r in their quote:m2:

Batery to alt
alt to frame
and frame to battery..
Battery + to alt +
Battery - to frame
Battery - to engine

IMO its easier (and uses less wire) to do it from the Battery - to alt case and Battery - to frame

1 - 8 of 8 Posts