Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
K&N, "IEATSRT8" Cold Air Intake Kit, Volant, etc...too many damn choices! What is the best performing and best looking cold air intake to put on a stock '06 TBSS? I want to replace the entire kit, not just the filter. Also, how important is it to get a tune afterwards?

I am more interested in incorporating it with a true "Ram Air" hood...something better looking than the "Good Hood" that everyone seems to have.

:confused:

·
Registered
367 Posts
I have the K&N cold intake on my SS and I think the fit and over all apperance is great. I went with K&N because in my opion they make the best filter and for the price, under $200 dollars on ebay you cant go wrong. Just my :m2:

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
10,730 Posts
I have the MAC intake on my 5.3 (Fits the 6.0 also) I'm very happy with it. It also looks good IMO (Polished stainless)

·
Registered
2006 chevy
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the K&N cold intake on my SS and I think the fit and over all apperance is great. I went with K&N because in my opion they make the best filter and for the price, under $200 dollars on ebay you cant go wrong. Just my :m2:
Do you have a pic of the K&N installed? :thx

·
Registered
2006 chevy
224 Posts
I have the K&N also. It works great and was an easy install. It looks clean under the hood also.

·
Registered
2006 chevy
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the K&N also. It works great and was an easy install. It looks clean under the hood also.
I have heard rumors that the K&N tends to get oil onto the mass air flow sensor, which fries it. Has anyone else heard this?

·
Registered
2006 chevy
1,812 Posts
I have heard rumors that the K&N tends to get oil onto the mass air flow sensor, which fries it. Has anyone else heard this?
Most, if not all, of these CAI's use the K&N filter. No problems if they're properly maintained. Worst case, you have to clean the MAF if it gets oil soaked. The problem I have with the K&N intake is its heat soak characteristics. It has an open box, which is supposed to be used with a ram-air hood. If used with a stock hood, you're losing the built-in factory air inlet and just sucking in under-hood air.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I vote for ADM

I installed the ADM complete 4" kit. It replaces the MAF for a 100% 4" setup. This setup does require a tune, but if you want to see a significant difference in performance, a tune is mandantory. The stock GM tune was to appease the EPA, not drivers!

I have had this setup for over a year (19 months) and it is fantastic. Look under supporting vendors or search for pics, there are several.

Best of luck! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2007 chevy
142 Posts
K&N here. I did have that MAF problem. $$$ at the Stealer! And I installed an HSRK. U need a good tune. If you're near GA, I recommend Vengeance Racing in Cumming, GA near ATL.

07 TBSS AWD Brake Coolers, K&N CAI, HSRK, SLP Dual Back, Vengeance Tune, KBee Coilovers, Hotchkis RSB, Lowered 2-3, SStar Ultra's.

·
Registered
522 Posts
The only thing I don't like about those metal intake setups, is what happens when the entire engine bay gets heat soaked? It would seem like you will be sucking in a lot of superheated air from a super hot intake tube. It is for the same reason I also would be weary of open intakes as you could find yourself losing a lot of power in the summer when driving in the city as you would be sucking in hot air from under the hood. I have been debating Vector's Gen II intake, but just havn't gotten over my fear of oiled filters yet. There is no free lunch and oiled filters are not going to have the same filtering efficiency of stock paper filters. I posted in another similar thread a while ago, and I remember how I started seeing a fine sandy like grit like substance was starting to accumulate in the intake tube in a couple of the vehicles that I actually used a K&N on a while ago.

As for K&N's being overoiled, what I did a while back on a couple of my previous cars was to take the brand new filter and clean it, and then reoil it using S&B filter oil which is supposedly tackier than K&N oil is. I have no idea what K&N's problem is as their filters are almost dripping oil out of the package.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The difference between a metal vs plastic intake setup is hardly noticeable.

Here is a couple things to focus on when deciding between intakes for any vehicle. Add more too the list if I forgot anything. ;)

1) Does the intake remove all of the factory restrictions?
2) Is the system an open element or closed air-box style system?
3) If using the factory air-box do they seal it off from the engine bay?
3) What type of materials are they using? Example: high temp rubber vs silicone. hose clamps vs silicone safe hose clamps.
4) How many different bends are within the system and the degree of the bends?
5) Will my Intake Air Temperature be higher after the intake is installed? Lower the IAT = less timing being pulled.
6) What type of filter is being used within the system?
7) Are detailed removal and install instructions included with the system?
8) Customer service and feedback from current users?
10) Can I get my intake coated? Example: Ceramic Coated or Powder Coated?
11) Do the tuners (vendors) on TB SS sites support that CAI or have a canned tune for that application?

I did not put price in the mix because that does not always reflect the best product. A lesser expensive intake could yield better gains and vice versa.

K&N filters will not void your warranty. Your local auto parts store carries CRC electronics cleaner which is non dielectric. That will not harm your mass air flow meter.

I would love to take a poll on. Did you purchase your k&n or volant intake before you joined the forums? Did you do any research on other intake options prior than buying? Excludes price shopping.

·
Registered
2006 chevy
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Baltimore/Annapolis Area Tune/Mod Shop?

Does anyone know of a good tune/mod shop in the Baltimore/Annapolis area?

1 - 20 of 63 Posts